Forum Index > Trip Reports > A Return to Hornblende Canyon (with tarantula sighting), 11.12.17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 2:28 pm 
About a month ago I took my group up Hornblende Canyon, as the 1st time was not an official meetup event so this time I wanted to see if I could get more takers. A couple more peeps were able to attend, & we went further up the canyon until we reached a nice overlook for lunch. I was able to visually scope out a connecting route over to Cool Canyon for a future trip, scheduled for next mo. cool.gif We arrived @ the trailhead off of S-2 & started up. No other cars were @ the parking area.
@ the TH
@ the TH
We started up, enjoying the somewhat overcast day since it would keep the temp down & our energy levels manageable. This canyon involves scaling multiple dry waterfalls, the biggest one supposedly about 30' high but in 2 parts, making it easier to get up. wink.gif
Lichen
Lichen
Old nest
Old nest
Big dry waterfall
Big dry waterfall
Morteros
Morteros
We reached our lunch rock & turnaround time, having already gone more than 4 mi. in. up.gif
On the way down we spotted a tarantula. eek.gif paranoid.gif
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
Big dry waterfall
Big dry waterfall
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
Tarantula
Another fine day in the desert w/friends. up.gif cool.gif
Stats
Stats
Post-hike margs
Post-hike margs

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message