Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Dept of Interior begins review of 27 Monuments under Trump exec. Order.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wiki summary

wiki summary
PostSat May 06, 2017 3:04 pm 
Wiki summmary last edited by Tom on Sat May 06, 2017 3:37 pm (this post can be edited by any member)
Back to top Reply to topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 7:10 pm 
That cannot be assumed these days, given the nature of arguments you see for meaningless 'diversity' based upon physical characteristics, instead of ideas.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 pm 
I don't consider diversity to be meaningless. Let's not go there.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 10:46 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
New faces are irrelevant if they hold the same ideas. Ideas drive everything, not faces.
Most of the faces involved (Congress) have been there far too long and their outdated ideas will continue to impact us all for years to come. So no, your statement isn't factually wrong, but the faces control the ideas, and squash those they disagree with.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 2:33 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I don't consider diversity to be meaningless. Let's not go there.
It's not meaningless, if you apply the correct standards.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 2:36 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
There is no defense for the actions that were taken here. My hostility is only for the ignorance, negligence and disrespect towards our parks on display here. You can keep twisting words all you want. I'm clear on my intentions. Yeah, Patagonia had better scale back those donations! They're just as destructive a force, I see that now rolleyes.gif
I didn't twist any words at all. You did. Your claims against me are ludicrous and falsified in the last post. Don't blame me for your arguments which can be taken apart by casual inspection, because you're using anger at my arguments to puke garbage accusations against me onto a page. You're real clear on your intentions all right and your arguments and methods are very, very clear. That's why your gripes don't even make *sense*. More please. I love spotlighting irrationality.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 9:59 am 
Among the delegation is all of Cedar Butte where most of the Ancestral Pueblo dwellings are located.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 9:37 am 
Seventy2002 wrote:
Token Civilian wrote:
One man with a pen only takes one man with a pen to undo.
The argument is being made that the while Antiquities Act allows the President to designate National Monuments the Federal Land Management and Policy Act of 1976 allows only Congress to reduce their size.
http://www.santafenewmexican.com/opinion/commentary/yes-trump-can-revoke-national-monuments/article_4664b8ce-b5f3-502f-9db3-44efcda3e8f0.html

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 11:47 am 
Pacific Leagal Foundation is a right wing think tank that is in favor of reducing wilderness protection in general. They cited John Yoo as authority, Yoo is the author of the famous "Torture Memo" which hold that the president can do anything he wants. Legal opinion on whether National Monuments is split to some extent with no definitive court ruling. I guess we will get a chance to see if he can.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 1:09 pm 
Malachi - In lieu of the ad hominium on the article writer, how about sticking to the arguments presented and refuting those with facts. So, what do you say to the concept / principal brought up in the article that policy (e.g. stroke of a pen enactments) enacted by a President somehow is "permanent". Is that a concept you support? If so, what will you say when policies enacted by the current President are challenged by the next office holder from the other party? Will President Trump's policies be sacrosanct, or can the next President with at "D" after they name change them, just as President Trump can (wants) to change President Obama's policies? How do you address the article claims that past Presidents have reduced national monuments? Have they, in fact, done so, and if so, how are those not precedents for the current reductions?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 pm 
The fact that presidents have reduced them is not president for anything unless those reductions were contested in court and the reduction upheld. There is no such case what has happened was there were reductions that were not contested. The reductions I am aware of were back in the Taft or Wilson administrations before modern court proceedings. I am not attacking the author of the paper but merely explaining that they are and advocacy group with the same interests as Zinke and the administration and not an unbiased source any more than an environmental organization. It is a matter for the courts. As for the act, that is a matter for congress to modify.

drm

drm
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 3:08 pm 
As to whether what presidents do should be permanent, things that president are allowed to do via the constitution can in most cases be overturned by future presidents. One example where they can't is with pardons. But this is a case where Congress has the underlying constitutional authority and chose to delegate a piece of it to the president via the Antiquities Act. Since the Antiquities Act made no mention of reducing or removing such monuments, you could either say (1) removal/reduction wasn't delegated to presidents so they can't do it, or (2) whatever judge gets to rule on it can make it up however they want to. Unless there is another law, like the Federal Land Policy and Management Act of 1976, that has language that applies.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 25, 2018 12:20 pm 
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 25, 2018 3:36 pm 
The administration is also removing reimbursement from this that damage public lands huh.gif Legalizing poaching, burl theft, and cedar poaching probably next.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jul 26, 2018 12:53 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
But let's not hold the current administration to the same standards, the liberals did it first so it's ok! Any more insight on how things are being done these days that you would like to share?
Strawman. I didn't argue not to hold the current admin to the same standard. An argument that the process should be congressional, is not one that the current admin should not be held to the same standard. My argument pointing out that both sides are doing it, is inherently holding both sides to the same standard. Observing what both parties do, is not a double standard. Nor is advocating that this practice change.
Doppelganger wrote:
Do you feel that this applies to all executive actions that have been taken in the last two years? A simple question, a response of yes or no is fine and says all that needs to be said.
No. Apparently, that says all that needs to be said, which appears to indicate a you're applying very low resolution version of governance and the issues related to it. In reality, the issue of each executive action is of course relative to the action taken. An order on monuments has fundamentally different issues related to it than one which is more purely administrative in nature, such as the monument action in question vs administrative actions like 'Providing an Order of Succession Within the Department of Justice' Here's a list of the orders so far. I wouldn't argue a yes or no says all that needs to be said.
Doppelganger wrote:
It was clear before that 'sustaining production' has never been anyone's goal here, this is the kind of deception that has been thrown around since this farce began. These people want to wring the $$$ out of the resources available from these lands and put the money in their own pockets, it's a simple equation. The things that most of us love about these places don't mean sh!t to these poeple.
I don't see it as a deception. It's clear that both are the goals, since putting the evil $$ in someone's pocket requires the production in the first place, in most cases anyway. When they wring out the production, other people value that production and want the product of course. You know this. So I'm just as guilty it seems, since I want the oil, the steel, the coal, or whatever, and I want people who need these things to produce other things, too. I spent more than a couple years in the mining industry. I don't recall ever running into anyone lacking a concern for the things we love about these places. I don't think you do your own argument justice by the choice to resort to such cartoonish accusations.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 pm 
It's not "cartoonish" by any stretch of the imagination. It's "Teapot Dome Redux". Zinke would sell his own mother to the highest bidder. The emails make it pretty clear that Zinke and his accomplices completely ignored the overwhelming public opinion that these National Monuments should be off limits to resource extraction.
MtnGoat wrote:
"I don't recall ever running into anyone lacking a concern..."
^ This is actually pretty funny. They were sure concerned about Butte, Montana, weren't they? And we've seen first hand the concern they had for the entire north end of Tacoma and Vashon Island - they're still digging the arsenic out of the ground (and will be for at least the next 30 years.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."