Posting or voting on this thread binds an agreement to give fruitcake to Quark
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 63

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostTue Dec 08, 2015 11:11 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
The late, Late night talk-show host, Johnny Carson, opined that ďThe worst gift is fruitcake. There is only one fruitcake in the entire world, and people keep sending it to each other.Ē  Source:  The Internet

Who got it this year?  Send it to Quark so we can be finished with this sorry tradition.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostFri Dec 11, 2015 10:35 am 
bump.

If there's enough fruitcake for me, I'll call a Fruitcake Social in January (with a title like that, it should be quite an evening).

--------------
"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate."

Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Dec 13, 2016 6:55 pm 
It's that time of year again.

What better way to spend the holiday than collecting all the fruitcake you received as gifts (be sure to check for past year cakes also, now used as door stops, for propping up Uncle Joe's old Pontiac LeMan's, and paperweights).

Send 'em all my way.

If you plan on attending the Calendar Social, bring those cakes in! I'll be there with a rented flatbed truck to haul 'em home.

--------------

gb

gb
PostWed Dec 14, 2016 8:55 am 
Many many moons ago I was staying with my GF at a friend's place in Bellingham and skiing up at Baker.

There came a knock on the door and two nice young men dressed in suits showed their presence. My friend Dave addressed them, "Oh. You've brought me fruitcake. Let me tell you something about fruitcake. They made about 200 of them back in the time of Christ and they have been passing them around ever since."

Oddly, the conversation kind of died at that point.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Dec 14, 2016 5:51 pm 
My wife just sent her 94 year old mom the Collin Street Bakery Traditional xtra large.  Been doin' that for 30 years.  Only good thing to come out of Texas.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Tom
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Grannyhiker

Grannyhiker
PostThu Dec 15, 2016 2:03 pm 
It's amazing how much the most awful fruitcake can be improved by, first, wrapping it in a number of layers of brandy-soaked cheesecloth for several weeks; second, steaming it before serving so it's hot and moist; and, finally, serving slices of the hot, moist fruitcake topped with hard sauce (with plenty of brandy in the latter).  Maybe it's the brandy, but that's how plum pudding (a similar product) has traditionally been served, with good reason.

--------------
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Dec 15, 2016 2:54 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
My wife just sent her 94 year old mom the Collin Street Bakery Traditional xtra large.  Been doin' that for 30 years.  Only good thing to come out of Texas.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

Tom

Yup. Collins Street Bakery, in Corsicana. After my mom passed away, "Santa" mailed us each a fruitcake from Eilenberger's Bakery in Palestine, Tx. My dad was so angry one year when Eilenberger's signed each card with his actual name instead of "Santa." We told him that was OK, we suspected the cakes were really from him anyway.

Not a ran of too much rum on a cake. I actually like the taste of the fruitcake. But don't let that sway your decision: I'll take a rum-soaked cake!

Bring one, bring all, to the social on the 27th. I'll have a table set up to receive the cakes. No reason to stampede, I'll be there all evening.

--------------

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Dec 04, 2017 2:18 pm 
Quark is ready to receive fruitcake. Load me up.

--------------

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 pm 
Did anyone post Gaffigan yet?

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 2:40 am 
We read Capote's Christmas Memory again this week and I bought two fruitcake loaves for sampling.  I forget what brand from Safeway but they look like Figi's loaf.

While no one proclaimed the slices "dank," one young woman said "it's not that bad." Another commented "it's like very heavy coffee cake."  There was very little middle ground, as the rest of the comments were more like "it tastes like ass decay"(whatever that is) and death was threatened...twice...if I insisted on more than a nibble.  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif

You gotta admit..that candied, jellied fruit is a definite, acquired taste.

All of us commented on the alcohol(bourbon?) content producing a not-unpleasant aroma and taste.  Since I was not carded to purchase the fruit cake I guess it was ok to sample in a public school...????

tom
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Fruitcake
Jump to:   
Search this topic: