Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 2:10 pm 
Anyone seen a Wolf while hiking this year? If this topic has already been covered forgive me.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 2:26 pm 
Just one, in the Spring in far NE Washington, probably a Smackout pack member. It was big and mangy looking, losing its winter coat. I may have seen a couple near Pearson/Reeds Baldy in N Idaho too...it was a pair, but too far off for a positive ID. Some song doggies grow pretty big too... Edit: I did see a wolf in Yellowstone on a BC ski trip back in the early 90s. And I have seen plenty while traveling forest roads. They seem to stick around to see what noisy thing is approaching, then take off once they see you and verify in their minds what you are.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 2:45 pm 
Never seen one hiking. Pretty sure I've seen one twice in just about the same location while driving to a trailhead. Not gonna share where, don't think I'll ever divulge a wolf siting location on a public forum, because there are still too many people w/ the "shoot, shovel and shut up" mentality. There is an article in the Seattle Times just this morning about 2 recent wolf poaching incidents in NE Washington.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 pm 
Only in Yellowstone, so far. Pretty exciting. BTW, Schenk, what's a song doggie? Coyote?

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
gb

gb
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 5:06 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Never seen one hiking. Pretty sure I've seen one twice in just about the same location while driving to a trailhead. Not gonna share where, don't think I'll ever divulge a wolf siting location on a public forum, because there are still too many people w/ the "shoot, shovel and shut up" mentality. There is an article in the Seattle Times just this morning about 2 recent wolf poaching incidents in NE Washington.
up.gif up.gif up.gif Never divulge the location for poachers.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 5:26 pm 
Same with bears outside protected areas. I don’t have anything against bear hunting. I don’t like trolling hiking reports instead of doing your own scouting.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 7:45 pm 
I've had a half dozen encounters this year in the William O. Douglas and up motorized trails in the Little Naches. I know what wolves are. I have a rug on the wall from one I shot in Idaho a few years ago If you want the GPS coordinates from my latest sighting, let me know.

Have I offended you today?
Waterman

Waterman
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 8:18 pm 
Cape Scott Vancouver Island. Saw 2 on different days. Tracks all over the place. Highlight of the trip.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 8:32 pm 
Naches Hiker wrote:
If you want the GPS coordinates from my latest sighting, let me know.
Woo hoo! That ought to spark up the discussion. I'll present no opinion about the return of the wolves. I will simply report that I saw a lone wolf on the Beverly trail in the Teanaway in May 2015. It was a couple hundred feet off the trail, busily digging out some unlucky varmint. Favorable wind, creek noise and location allowed us to watch the wolf through binoculars for about 15 minutes before it sauntered off. I wouldn't be surprised if that proves to be my only sighting so close to town, and I'm satisfied with it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 9:58 pm 
Monday December 11, 2017 16:16 PST WDFW NEWS RELEASE WDFW investigates two suspected wolf poaching cases in northeast Washington OLYMPIA – The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is investigating two suspected wolf poaching incidents in northeast Washington, and a conservation group is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to convictions. WDFW Police Capt. Dan Rahn said one case involves the killing of a female wolf in Ferry County, whose carcass was found Dec. 5 by department personnel approximately 15 miles southwest of Republic. The wolf had been wearing a radio collar, attached by WDFW biologists in 2016 when it was a member of the Profanity Peak pack. Biologists said she was not associated with any pack when she was killed. Rahn said the collar had stopped transmitting location data in early November. -WDFW- The second investigation stems from the discovery by hunters of a dead wolf on Nov. 12 about 10 miles southeast of Colville in Stevens County, he said. That wolf, a breeding female, was discovered within the range of the Dirty Shirt pack and is presumed to be a member of the pack. Rahn said both investigations remain active, and the department encourages anyone who might have relevant information to contact WDFW at 877-933-9847 or 360-902-2936. The illegal killing of a wolf or other endangered fish or wildlife species is a gross misdemeanor, punishable by up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $5,000. Conservation Northwest, one of the groups that partners with WDFW on wolf conservation and management, has offered a $10,000 reward for information leading to convictions in these cases. Gray wolves are listed as endangered under state law throughout Washington. In the western two-thirds of the state, they are also listed as endangered under the federal Endangered Species Act. -WDFW-

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 10:20 pm 
In 1976 a friend and I saw a grey wolf loping across a stand of Ponderosa's on a sunny spring day in western Montana. There was about 3 feet of snow on the ground and it was well above freezing so we went over and looked at the tracks. It was a beautiful sight I will never forget. In those days "there were no wolves in the area." The livestock was safe.

"May you live in interesting times"
Chico

Chico
PostMon Dec 11, 2017 11:09 pm 
Naches Hiker wrote:
If you want the GPS coordinates from my latest sighting, let me know.
Given they range pretty dang far and wide that is just too funny? Post your coordinates and we'll go see if it's been sitting there waiting.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 3:20 am 
Seen them a bunch of times in AK and BC and once in the Blue mts; all the sightings were very cool. Once a pair were chasing Caribou (in Denali NP) and another time we Kayaked to a remote BC beach and saw a wolf holding a leg of something in its mouth. Every time they left us alone just like every black bear encounter I have ever had. Several years back, 2 friends and I ran into a group of hunters enroute to Silver Lake/Buckskin lake (Paysayten) in late October and found out on return that a wolf was shot that day, on that ridge, likely by someone in that group who claimed he was threatened (Really??). I have never personally seen one in the Cascades or Olympics ever though, (started hiking in 1973).

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 8:08 am 
the Zachster wrote:
what's a song doggie? Coyote?
Yessir! Song Dog is a reference to their lively vocalizations.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
gb

gb
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:15 am 
cascadetraverser wrote:
Seen them a bunch of times in AK and BC and once in the Blue mts; all the sightings were very cool. Once a pair were chasing Caribou (in Denali NP) and another time we Kayaked to a remote BC beach and saw a wolf holding a leg of something in its mouth. Every time they left us alone just like every black bear encounter I have ever had. Several years back, 2 friends and I ran into a group of hunters enroute to Silver Lake/Buckskin lake (Paysayten) in late October and found out on return that a wolf was shot that day, on that ridge, likely by someone in that group who claimed he was threatened (Really??). I have never personally seen one in the Cascades or Olympics ever though, (started hiking in 1973).
Another criminal Should be in jail