Forum Index > Trail Talk > Two trips in 8 days
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cburton103
Chris

cburton103
Chris
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 8:18 pm 
First post here. Everywhere I've researched online for my upcoming trip pointed me to nwhikers. Thanks for this great resource! A buddy of mine and I will be flying up to Seattle from Houston for the last week of July 2018. We plan on having 8 days for hiking. We'd like to do two separate trips so we can see more that Washington has to offer, but we're also open to one longer hike. I like moderate miles (12-15 miles with 2-3K elevation gain), but my buddy doesn't hike as often and would prefer closer to 8 miles per day. So we'll stick with close to 8 miles per day, hopefully! I would like to somewhat limit drive time in between hikes so we don't spend most of our in between day driving. 2-3 hours is fine, but a 5 hour drive would really burn a lot of daylight. We can either have a rental car and do loops, or hire a shuttle, if that's an option. I've considered the Goat Rocks Loop, Spider Gap/Lyman Lakes/Buck Creek Loop, and various areas in the North Cascades National Park. Priorities are scenery and solitude. Numerous lakes along the routes are also a plus. We'd like to stay mostly on trail, but some Class II off trail scrambling is perfectly fine as well. Any recommendations to maximize our time here and see some spectacular scenery? Thanks in advance!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
markweth

markweth
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 8:53 pm 
I'd think about heading over to the Olympics. There is a superb 5-day/50 mile loop in northeastern Olympic National Park leaving from the Deer Park campground. Deer Park to Cedar Lake, cross-country back to the trail and go over Gray Wolf Pass, then up the Dosewallips. Camp for two nights at Dose Meadows and do a day trip up to Hayden Pass and summit Sentinel Peak. Then make your way over to Grand Lake and then out. It might be a bit more challenging than you all would prefer but there are ways to moderate it by moving the campsites around. You could then hit another part of Olympic National Park for the next three days.

cburton103
Chris

cburton103
Chris
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 8:59 pm 
Thanks for the suggestion, Mark! I forgot to mention it, but my only experience hiking in the PNW was to Enchanted Valley and up towards Anderson Pass in late May of last year. Awesome trip, and a really awesome area that time of year with all of the waterfalls. So since I’ve already been to Olympic National Park, I think I would like to try something in the mainland to get a better feel for what the state has to offer. I’m 30 years old and I plan on hiking for a long time, so i’d like to vary my experiences a lot before heading back to the same park.

Chico

Chico
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:42 pm 
As you get closer to your date be prepared to change plans due to wildfires! Best have several alternates planned out.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:42 pm 
Since you already noted the Buck Creek Pass/Spider Gap loop, I would heartily recommend that one. One of the better loop trips you can do in the state from my experience. The basic loop can easily be added to w/ several excellent out and back options--Cloudy Peak (just east of Cloudy Pass is a great camp), Image Lake/Miners Ridge, High Pass/Triad Lake area, several more I'm sure. Then a short drive away would let you explore some more of the Glacier Peak Wilderness. Circle part way around Lake Wenatchee to the Little Wenatchee River trailhead. From the same beginning point you could choose either the name sake trail, Cady Ridge or Cady Creek to intersect the PCT. From there I'd suggest following it north as far as you have time/inclination to go. Can get into the wonderful White Pass/Red Pass/Glacier Peak Meadow area, side trip options like Foam Creek toward Glacier Gap and the climbers route up the peak, Blue Lake/Pilot Ridge, etc.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 11:20 am 
The Goat Rocks are awesome, but keep in mind the drive from Seattle is well over your 2-3 hour range. The Glacier Peak Wilderness recommendations are great. But if I had 5 days and could go anywhere, I would do Whatcom Pass / Tapto Lakes and/or Challenger Arm / Copper Ridge. One of the most remote places accessible by trail in the country, and some of the most stupendous Alpine scenery anywhere. Last week in July could still have some snow up there (as in the Glacier Peak Wilderness, actually), so that would be the main concern. But you can monitor that situation. Regardless, if you go to the North Cascades National Park, and you want to do Copper Ridge, be sure to try for an advance reservation. The Park last year instituted a (rather weird) new reservation system for certain popular campsites, including the ones on Copper Ridge. Even if you don't get or need an advance reservation, you will need camping permits. Another stupendous loop in the North Cascades that is more likely to be melted out is the Jackita Ridge / Devils Dome loop. Although I'm not sure where you are accustomed to hiking, keep in mind that 12-15 miles is probably less "moderate" than you think, because the Cascades involve massive ups and downs from valleys to passes and ridge tops. Generally much more so than the Rockies.

pcg

pcg
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 12:07 pm 
cburton103 wrote:
the last week of July
Skeeters and black flies. Come prepared.