Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Wolves
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am 
Never seen a wolf In Washington. Only tracks from a likely visiting member of another pack 3 or four winters ago. Teanaway pack, highway 2. Monitors confirmed that members of the pack had disappeared during that time. Probably went back and told the pack it was too wet, and no food.😀 I did have the pleasure of watching a pack of a couple dozen elk hunting in grand Teton. Amazing team work and smarts. They divided into 2 groups. One strung out along a ridge, while the others waited in ambush. The ridge group gave Chase, isolating a small group, Nd hearded it towards the ambush group. This happened at dusk, and lost light before the end game.. best road side action ever!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 10:35 am 
Oh, and one scary Yellowstone mini hike. From a snowmachine, we hiked to a thermal feature. 2"s of fresh snow. Just me and my girl setting new tracks in sub 0 noisy crunch. Could barely see a few feet due too temps, and thermal action . I heard a bunch of critters behind us, but only feets. Walking back out, our foot prints where covered by wolf tracks! Not sure how close they came, but not enough to spot one. This was during the heyday of the druids.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 2:11 pm 
You think that there is a shoot now, shoot every time in this state! lol.gif Go to Montana or Idaho where there is an honor system about eradicating Wolves.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 2:25 pm 
i seen wolves a couple times!!!!!!!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 4:22 pm 
I seen wolves several times--in the Up Nort part of Wisconsin where the Finlanders are. The wolves looked pretty mangy, nothing at all like the paintings and poses you see of "noble" wolves. There was a report of one kind of stalking one of the loggers. He started away to his pickup then remembered to go back and get his dog. They left the area for the day. He may have started carrying a thing that must not be mentioned after that happening.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 12:54 pm 
Well we are just going to see the start of it. Weather its good or bad its your call

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Feb 24, 2018 11:13 pm 
I have only seen a wolf 1 time and heard them also on the same trip... The BWCA in Minnesota is a magical area and I would highly recommend it.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 6:31 pm 
I've seen them a few times at my parents' place in northern MN (2 hrs southwest of the BWCA). One time I saw a pair of black colored ones, that was pretty cool. When they're nearby you can hear them howling at night. I've never seen more than two at a time. In the winter you can see their tracks in the snow everywhere (when they're big enough, it's obvious that they're not from a coyote). I don't know how someone can feel personally threatened by them - attacks are rare enough to basically be non-existent. There are occasional livestock conflicts there, but its not too bad.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 6:56 pm 
Reading this also reminded me I saw a wolf outside of Duluth area close to cook state park by the St Lewis river... That one was a little more creepy, I was taking pictures of the rapids along the river so I did about a 15 foot free climb up a rock to to get around a bend the top had some forest and next thing I know I saw a black blur of a wolf run from my left to my right about 20 yards ahead and disappear in the forest. It was cool but I quickly left the area after it. The one I saw in bwca was silver almost white colored.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 7:30 pm 
KillerCharlie wrote:
I don't know how someone can feel personally threatened by them - attacks are rare enough to basically be non-existent.
Agreed. I think it's a very deliberate campaign by certain factions to try to make people fearful of wolves. Resorting to basically middle ages fairy tales and treating it as factual to try to push an agenda.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 6:57 am 
Its too bad that the ungulate population will pretty much be non existent after this but that's part of the consequences of the reintroduction.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:39 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Its too bad that the ungulate population will pretty much be non existent after this but that's part of the consequences of the reintroduction.
Do you have any evidence to back up this stance that is not just heresay or rumor or are you just spreading hate for no good reason?

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:50 am 
burck17 wrote:
I have only seen a wolf 1 time and heard them also on the same trip... The BWCA in Minnesota is a magical area and I would highly recommend it.
Do you have any proof of this or are you just trying to spread love for your furry friend?

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 8:56 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
burck17 wrote:
Do you have any proof of this or are you just trying to spread love for your furry friend?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.cof.orst.edu/leopold/papers/RippleBeschtaYellowstone_BioConserv.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwid27jx9cPZAhVH7YMKHWBqD1Y4ChAWMAd6BAgDEAE&usg=AOvVaw1k1Kh1Xl61kDv6H1aArKr8 As you can see the population definitely decreased for elk but the population has stabilized at a more sustainable number, moreover the population of beavers increased as did nearly all forest growth and bison numbers in Yellowstone... Now the wolves and elk have leveled off and found a healthy balance also as you can see it did not entirely eliminate the population as previously suggested.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 9:11 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
burck17 wrote:
Also in good argument the burden of proof is on the individual who suggested the hypothesis. Since you decided to dodge my question by answering a question with a question I figured I would put a quick end to this theory you proposed.