Forum Index > Trip Reports > Dickerman Mtn. December 5, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
xuanxier

xuanxier
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 pm 
Full trip report: http://stevensong.com/dickerman-mountain Dickerman is a popular objective along Mountain Loop Highway and can also be done in winter conditions assuming the road is drivable. I made this spontaneous decision after seeing a couple recent posts on WHC Facebook page. The drive was 3.5 hours including the border crossing delay, but the views were all worth the effort. Road is bare. There's a snowshoe trail to the summit now if anyone wants to take advantage of it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 1:23 pm 
The story is that last weekend 16 people broke trail up and still couldn't make it to the summit. Good on you for finishing the job. http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2017-12-04.0955735234

xuanxier

xuanxier
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 1:36 pm 
Wow I can't imagine how they were trenching this trail out. It was more than waist deep at places. Having a pair of 30' Lighitng Ascents helped.

neek

neek
PostFri Dec 08, 2017 3:31 pm 
Did it this morning. Almost felt like summer. Thanks to the human snowplows.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Dec 12, 2017 11:45 am 
Did this yesterday, thanks to the human snowplows. Looks like a herd of elephants has been through, no snowshoes necessary, Microspikes came in very handy though. AWD, 4WD or snow tires (saw a Kia sedan with studded tires in the parking lot) to get up the MLH, very icy! An unexpected treat was the heavy frost on the trees and bushes glittering in the headlights on the way back, very Christmassy. smile.gif

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 am 
Went up today (Tuesday), it was a beautiful day in the neighborhood with a little bit of clouds to make for some spectacular mountain scenery. Didn't have a problem with icy roads, but 12:45 wasn't an alpine start. . . got down just before dark. Microspikes were useful, particularly where the upper trail was "glissaded out". Snow starts right before the waterfall crossing, the trail is well packed. Get on it while it's still accessible!

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 am 
Went up yesterday to catch the sunset. If anyone heads up today and comes across a blaze orange dog vest, please pack it out! Ruby apparently wriggled out of it on the way down. I don't need it back but feel crappy about leaving it up there.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Dec 16, 2017 7:39 pm 
Rubywrangler, that gives new meaning to " clean up after your dog." wink.gif I continue to be impressed by your sense of responsibility as a dog "wrangler." How was she able to ditch her vest, I wonder. Chasing a squirrel or maybe making the doggy version of snow angels?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still