Forum Index > Trail Talk > Popular shooting site in Washington wildlife area sends some visitors running for cover
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
lee

lee
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 5:42 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
lee wrote:
Better question is .... why would you hike down range from a known shooting location??????
Or maybe the better question is why were people shooting up range from a known hiking location? Or even a possible hiking location? I've done my fair share of "dispersed" target shooting, and my understanding of the rules and ethics is that you always shoot with a known backstop. Shooting out into empty space, whether or not you're in a "known shooting location", and whether or not down range is a known hiking location, ain't cool.
I agree Sir.

Lee
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
lee

lee
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 5:49 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Quote:
they were not shooting AT you
Good lord, this attempt to dissect the true meaning of "AT" is completely, utterly silly. Stop it. If something or someone is heading in my direction, it/they are heading AT me. If someone is shooting in my direction, I am being shot AT.
Absolutely FALSE!!!! If you were being shot AT,.... you would be shot,.... do I need to break out the crayons and construction paper? To state someone is shooting at you.... means the shooter purposely lined up the sights of their firearm on your body!!!!! This would likely result in a high probability of the bullet reaching it's target. If a bullet whizzed by you.... then using your definition... there was "intent" to harm you because the bullet went "at" you..... bat $hit!!!!

Lee
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 7:39 am 
Semantics do not justify, or rationalize, the insanely irresponsible actions of anyone shooting a firearm who doesn't 100% know where their bullet is going to travel, and where it will hit and stop. There MUST be a backstop, not just some vague area in the shooter's mind called "downrange".

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
lee

lee
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 7:51 am 
Schenk: Completely agree Sir,.... but that is not the topic that started this diatribe.... members stated that they were being SHOT AT,... which is complete BS,... this single point is what lead to this thread's length.

Lee
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 9:07 am 
Lee, your definition of "shot at" is not really in line with the context of people's posts about their personal experiences in the vicinity of reckless, irresponsible, shooting activity. You would perhaps be happier if they reported that some reckless people were shooting "towards" them "with no apparent regard for their lives"? OK, but the net effect is the same no matter how they described their experience. In most people's minds: Having no intent to avoid doing something harmful is just a few degrees away from actual intent to do harm. I think in the courts it is the distinction between reckless and intentional, both quite serious in the case of personal injury to another.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
DadFly

DadFly
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 10:48 am 
Since it is clear that 1. We should never violate anyone's second amendment rights. 2. The human population is growing rapidly. 3. The intersection of the two points above is inevitable. 4. We must agree that it should be legal to fire any weapon anywhere as long as the shooter's rights are upheld and he/she believes they are acting responsibly. 5. God will sort out the accidental vs intentional shootings in the event that all reason and rule of law breaks down. 6. I am being facetious. There are now "11 Essentials". 11. Flack jacket.

"May you live in interesting times"
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 12:57 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
neek wrote:
How about "two must learn how to get along"?
That's not going to happen. Try another solution that doesn't upset anyone. Our places are getting shut down due to overuse and I'm meaning more than places for shooting. Go away people. I hear Maine is a nice place to be.
Maine was long ago as crowded (outside of the large swath of potato and pulp timber country up in the mostly flat north bulge of the state, which will not be much of an attraction to anyone who wants to live hereabouts) as we're just barely getting to be around here. Somehow they've survived out there, but yeah given our trends we're going to have to start adjusting to things like hard-to-reserve formal campsites and more and more limitations on dispersed camping, and to the point of this thread more rules about target shooting to legislate the sort of common sense that doesn't seem as common as it should be.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 3:13 pm 
lee, evidently you also don't understand the verb "stop" either.

lee

lee
PostFri Dec 15, 2017 4:33 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
lee, evidently you also don't understand the verb "stop" either.
Huh????.... wow talk about out of left field... why don't you "stop" whatever it is you are bickering about me not stopping,.... whatever that is... where are my crayons and construction paper... someone needs a picture...

Lee
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Dec 16, 2017 4:58 pm 
We were mushroom hunting off the road once when a group of people came walking toward us up the road, firing in our direction. When I yelled at them that we are back here they got agitated and said "We know, we were going to stop shooting before we got to you" and acted like I was a total idiot for yelling at them

nordique

nordique
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 8:39 pm 
And then there were the two hunters I ran into, along a hiking trail. They were tuckered out, and sitting on their half-empty twelve-packs (Bud not ammo). We hadn't heard any shooting (and, if I had, I would've high-tailed it out of there, making lots of noise, as a Vietnam vet, wounded during the Tet Offensive). I asked what they were doing on a major hiking trail; they said it was hard to bushwhack in the forest. I asked if they'd seen any 'game' and they said no--but they said they did get off some 'sound shots.' They explained that they shot in the direction of what sounded like deer. I declined their offer of a cold Bud and hustled in the opposite direction.

nordique

nordique
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 8:42 pm 
Flack jacket AND steel helmet. Some hand-grenades would also be very useful, though a few of them add up to a lot of weight.

timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:11 am 
Come on now lets not get carried away and start over exaggerating.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:21 am 
Simple solution here: ban target shooting on public lands.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 12:43 pm 
nordique wrote:
And then there were the two hunters I ran into, along a hiking trail. They were tuckered out, and sitting on their half-empty twelve-packs (Bud not ammo). We hadn't heard any shooting (and, if I had, I would've high-tailed it out of there, making lots of noise, as a Vietnam vet, wounded during the Tet Offensive). I asked what they were doing on a major hiking trail; they said it was hard to bushwhack in the forest. I asked if they'd seen any 'game' and they said no--but they said they did get off some 'sound shots.' They explained that they shot in the direction of what sounded like deer. I declined their offer of a cold Bud and hustled in the opposite direction.
If you were dressed up in typical REI fashion, I will bet they were having fun with you. Did you not bring up this story in the past? If not, it is very similar to one that was. Hunters out there, you shouldn't kid around with strangers as some will take you seriously.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities