Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 12:15 am 
Another movie that was TOTALLY not what I expected, the most recent Planet of the Apes movies, wow, just not at all what I thought it was going to be. Don't want to give too much away. It was not an epic battle or series of battles between humans and apes, in spite of the title (War for the Planet of the Apes). The previous one was decent but seemed like a bit too much was going on, the movie just felt crowded. This one really took it's time to tell a story, but I found it very compelling. Andy Serkis really needs to get some kind of lifetime achievement award for all of his motion capture work in film. He's pretty much revolutionized how movies get made. Worth noting was one of the extra features that looked at Caesar's journey thru the 3 films. Digital animation has improved incredibly during the 6 year span of the 3 films.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 9:08 pm 
Dirtbag: The Legend of Fred Beckey up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif A solid 100/100
I laughed so hard, cheered, almost cried, and was on the edge of my seat. Absolutely loved Fred's opening statement about adventure (it hit so many levels of WTH). Some call him a dirt bagger, others call him the Dene of alpinism. As someone who met him I can Validate that he wasn't faking his expressions for the camera. In some cases they under played his dirtbaggery. It was amazing to see Fred's enthusiasm while he battles with old age to go after what seemed unobtainable. Wishing it went on for more than 90 minutes.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostThu Dec 14, 2017 10:03 pm 
tmatlack wrote:
I never really thought about cinematography before
Well, that's kind of the whole point of cinema, along with directing and acting and great scriptwriting. There's a rich world of beauty out there. For a timely take on cuttthroat, power-hungry men who manipulate the media for personal gain try "The Sweet Smell of Success," 1957, with Tony Curtis and Burt Lancaster. It's beautiful to look at and has a lot to say about the killer instincts that drive the famous. Its a classic.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostSun Dec 17, 2017 10:19 pm 
Star Wars: The Last Jedi 6/10 up.gif down.gif While loaded with visually dazzling scenes, some good theatrics, and a few really well constructed parts; the plot had some very big issues. Big minuses for being the first Star Wars lacking a good light Saber fight (yes even Episode II had a half way decent one with Count Duku), suffered a little from copying tactics from the prequels, the usage of the Nazi general was getting boring (despite him being a great actor), and pretending to be the Empire Strikes back of the Sequels. There were times the rating rose; however it would find a way to drop again. The action near the start actually got a bit dull compared with some of the dialog which is ironically respectable (although desensitizing). I would not have regretted waiting for Redbox; but certainly had some good moments. If you treat it like art you may be alright, however some fans may be disappointed.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 12:34 am 
I really can't stand the new Star Wars films - they aren't sequels, they're just sub-par remakes of the original trilogy. I used to be a big Star Wars fan, but these new films have just about ruined the entire franchise for me.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 10:21 am 
I hear that. The prequels sucked under Lucas and now these new ones are just as bad. With the Force Awakens, I decided I was done.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 1:04 pm 
At least with the prequels there was a spark of originality - you could see that maybe with better writing and a few different casting choices they could have OK. The same can't be said of the Disney reboots, where the writing and acting isn't the problem, it's the fact that they are complete soulless cash grab remakes sucking the joy out of classic films. The really sad thing is that Disney really didn't have to do it this way. They could have followed the plot of Timothy Zahn's excellent novelized sequels. Better yet, they could have gone way back in time to the Sith Wars and the Old Republic!

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
trestle

trestle
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 8:34 pm 
Imagine a galaxy far, far away....without Jar-jar Binks.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 11:14 pm 
I was expecting that "Kingsman: The Golden Circle" wasn't going to be as good as the first one. I was still severely disappointed by it. I didn't like anything about it. This one missed the mark by miles and miles.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:10 am 
I quite enjoyed Star Wars: The Last Jedi. I would have preferred it if they'd made more of a break from the other Star Wars movies than they did, like Rogue One, but I guess that would have made some die hard fans unhappy. It was surprisingly funny in many instances, and I did not find the porg to be annoying.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 5:40 pm 
Saw "The Last Jedi." It was uneven. Probably too long, some parts lagged. Some elements didn't work very well. I probably need to see it again, but I think it will hold up better than "The Force Awakens." The humor though...a "can you hear me now" knock off and a yo momma joke? Really? Seriously? That was BAD! The Rey/Ren/Luke dynamics in the center of the movie made it worthwhile. Some of the peripheral stuff I could skip. I think the new trilogy is facing a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. TFA was panned for being too much of a rehash of the original Star Wars film. TLJ went some different directions and I think that might have pissed off some traditionalists. So it's supposed to be like the original trilogy, but not too much like the original trilogy? And everyone is entitled to an opinion, but both of these newer films (and Rogue One, which I really enjoyed) are nowhere near as bad as the prequel trilogy.

Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 9:33 pm 
I miss Han.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun Dec 24, 2017 12:29 am 
down.gif on the Last Jedi; How wrong can you get Luke Skywalker, amongst all sorts of other plot holes and missed opportunities for cool plot twists. The Force Awakens was a Star Wars copy and in this one, the director just seemed to not understand the Star Wars Universe and the characters (particularly Luke) that inhabit it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 9:32 pm 
I rather liked The Last Jedi it was fresh enough to not be a remake with new characters but retained enough consistency to be attractive to some of us hidebound reactionaries. It contained a good deconstruction of the mumbo jumbo of the other films. It is spiritual rather than religious reverent but not maudlin in the nature of the force. Our memories of the first trilogy are jaded with nostalgia and our own naivety when we first saw them. If you look at them now they seem neither well directed or acted. The new characters are more conflicted and unsure as necessary for our greater sophistication. The original films were a throwback to serials of the 1930's. This led to the proliferation of comic book films which squeezed out the second golden era of American films from the 1970's. I think it was the best film of the series since The Empire Strikes Back. I speak as a film critic not a fanboy.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 11:58 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Our memories of the first trilogy are jaded with nostalgia and our own naivety when we first saw them. If you look at them now they seem neither well directed or acted.
Not a popular notion, but spot on. The original trilogy is not nearly as good as people remember it being. Huge nostalgia boost for those. I think Episode IV will always be my favorite because it was such a part of my childhood, but rewatching Ep. V and VI recently I had a hard time getting thru them.