Forum Index > Trail Talk > Popular shooting site in Washington wildlife area sends some visitors running for cover
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
nordique

nordique
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 2:37 pm 
Those two hunters were pretty bombed.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 3:31 pm 
Great, bombed and shooting at sounds with a lethal weapon. Other than the mental defect in those two, did you notice any other defects? Like excessive mouth breathing, a remnant tail, worn knuckles?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 4:39 pm 
I still think they were joking. I have never met a hunter that bragged about shooting at sounds or movement, and I've talked to many, many deer, elk, and bear hunters throughout the years out in the woods. So what if they had a few beers? They were probably done hunting for the day--most are out at the butt crack of dawn. So what if they were on a trail? That's what trails are for, to walk on whether hunting or not. Come on, don't be a stereotypical Seattle yuppie. See, you too can be labeled and stereotyped. Now, a footnote. If they were in the act of packing out a deer or elk, and you were not overburdened, the neighborly thing to do is to help pack it out. Sometimes you will be rewarded with a bit of the meat. up.gif Yummins!

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
trestle

trestle
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:51 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Simple solution here
So when does your exile from Stewardship end? There's a new thread on wheeled-travel in Wilderness areas and I've been surprised to not see you there. C'mon back NacMac!

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
trestle

trestle
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 7:57 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
I have never met a hunter that bragged about shooting at sounds or movement
Well now, you haven't met them all have you? Of course most hunters don't brag about shooting at "sounds", that's a sure-fire (pun intended) give-away that you're not a steward of gun safety. But two of them together? Strength in numbers, idiocy in numbers. I can believe it.
treeswarper wrote:
So what if they had a few beers?
It might make a huge difference depending on location.
treeswarper wrote:
stereotypical Seattle yuppie
So unnecessary.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:09 pm 
trestle wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
I have never met a hunter that bragged about shooting at sounds or movement
Well now, you haven't met them all have you? Of course most hunters don't brag about shooting at "sounds", that's a sure-fire (pun intended) give-away that you're not a steward of gun safety. But two of them together? Strength in numbers, idiocy in numbers. I can believe it.
treeswarper wrote:
So what if they had a few beers?
It might make a huge difference depending on location.
treeswarper wrote:
stereotypical Seattle yuppie
So unnecessary.
Way to take things out of context. You serve as an example of intolerance and someone who won't try to understand that people do not fit stereotypes. I need no more examples.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chico

Chico
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 8:35 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Simple solution here: ban target shooting on public lands.
Can't! Public lands are open to all users regardless. Just because some choose to go shooting as their form of recreation doesn't mean that they can't do that on public lands. How would you like it if hiking or biking on public lands was banned?

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 10:27 pm 
Since when does worrying about getting shot AT by drunks in the woods make one a stereotypical Seattle yuppie?

pcg

pcg
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 11:41 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Since when does worrying about getting shot AT by drunks in the woods make one a stereotypical Seattle yuppie?
I don't think he was implying that. I think he was implying that if you assume that hunters sitting on a trail and drinking beer at the end of the day are dangerous, THEN you might fit the stereotype, held my another group of people, of a Seattle yuppie. I think he was making the point that stereotypes are often not an accurate assessment of someone, and that a hunter sitting on a trail drinking beer at the end of the day is not a dangerous idiot, even if he makes a remark about taking some sound shots, which I agree were likely made to play mind games with the hiker. I know people, whom I consider to be safe and responsible, albeit trumpeting rednecks, who would get a chuckle out of doing that.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 1:33 am 
OK. I'll acknowledge that some folks think talk like that is funny. Funny in the same way jokes about women, blacks. Hispanics, LGBT, overweight folks....fill in the blank...were/are often to be thought funny. As in, MOST DEFINITELY N-O-T FUNNY. Other adjectives more appropriate: offensive, scary, inappropriate, stupid, uneducated, ignorant. Mind games??? Please. What mind??? If there was one, it got left at home. OK, maybe not a dangerous idiot, just an idiot. But an idiot with a gun is dangerous, so there it is.

Chico

Chico
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 4:30 am 
And if it was me and I was a hunter (which I'm not) I think it might be fun playing some mind games with some that are obviously offended by the sight of someone sitting along a trail with a rifle. Yeah, I'd get a chuckle out of that. Too bad I'd say. The land is open to hunting so live with it or go somewhere else if you don't like the noise, like say a national park! If you abhor the thought of someone killing Bambi then you best get over it.

Gil

Gil
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 7:54 am 
Let me see if I have this straight. Drunk people. With guns. Joking(?) about shooting passersby. And the problem is with the passersby?

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 8:58 am 
Chico wrote:
Can't! Public lands are open to all users regardless. Just because some choose to go shooting as their form of recreation doesn't mean that they can't do that on public lands.
Wrong. Public land is open to everyone, but that doesn't mean that everyone can do whatever they like without regard to the safety and enjoyment of others. If people want to shoot targets they can go to a gun range. Allowing morons to wander drunk through public land shooting off guns for no good reason is an obviously bad idea that should have been banned long ago.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
trestle

trestle
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 10:30 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Way to take things out of context. You serve as an example of intolerance and someone who won't try to understand that people do not fit stereotypes
lol.gif says the person who posted identifying someone as a stereotypical Seattle yuppie. Thy name is "hypocrite".

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 10:40 am 
I find the "freedom means I get to do whatever I want" and anti-government sentiment related to this topic troubling, and I think it's useful to see where it can lead. I was just talking with a friend from Wisconsin about hunting laws there, after I read the article linked below. Essentially anyone can hunt or trap anywhere on public land, you can hunt at night, and there is no minimum age for kids to have guns. People no longer feel safe on public lands there. This is on all levels of public land, from county parks to national forest. http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/theotherendoftheleash/trial-of-tears-wisconsins-dangerous-hunting-laws