Forum Index > Trail Talk > New Logging on East Tiger Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 9:02 pm 
If it is the same outfit that logged under WT1 it took over a year until the slash was cleared and I think that was by volunteers.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pribbs

Pribbs
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 pm 
My post was more just to let others know who often hike on Tiger Mountain. There has already been logging in other places on Tiger, like along the Tiger Mountain Trail near Middle and South Tigers. I know it is DNR so I am not complaining about the logging itself nor the road. But having logging coexist with hiking trails in a fair manner would be nice. Just make sure you don't block access to the trail when it crosses the new road you put in. Or having more notices posted at the trailhead or trail junctions leading to the logging area could've been nice, too.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 5:14 am 
OK, Ok, I apologize Pribbs. Yes, I am sensitive about this subject because forest management aka "logging" is considered to be nothing but "an extractive industry" by many on this site. Forest practices have changed but folks can't seem to figure that out. Also, if the woods were "raped" in the past, they sure did recover quickly. Logging does not look pretty, even when horses or a helicopter are used. But neither does a volcanic eruption or any other disturbance. A new hiking trail isn't pretty either, or some of the maintenance work done on them. That's just another disturbance when you get down to it. Here on the west side, the brush will hide the stumps in just a year. I am surprised that they had no signs posted though. You cannot have folks wandering up a trail during logging operations. Trees are coming down and being moved about and even a small tree can kill you if it clobbers you. The workers need to concentrate on what they are doing and don't need the added task of looking out for hikers who might be wandering through. Think of it from their perspective. Give it time. The cleanup work is the most hated part of the operation. Why? Because it is not making any money. It can be put off for a while. Cleanup is the job nobody wants to do, but they usually do it. Sometimes weather and wildlife requirements can slow down the work. And lastly, sometimes the forester in charge can screw up and let things slide. That happens-- especially when an agency is underfunded and under peopled. I don't know if that is the case. In the meantime, you'll have to deal with it. That's just the way it is. The log market is good right now, and that is when trees come down. Meanwhile, if it isn't already covered, you could start bothering the DNR to include trail cleanup in their contracts. If it doesn't get done, go find out why. You can learn the requirements for working around streams and riparian areas, etc. if interested. Be careful. Forestry can be addictive.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 10:45 am 
Gawd, just stop the broken record schtick. Thanks for the heads up Pribb

mb

mb
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 11:50 am 
treeswarper wrote:
You cannot have folks wandering up a trail during logging operations. Trees are coming down and being moved about and even a small tree can kill you if it clobbers you. The workers need to concentrate on what they are doing and don't need the added task of looking out for hikers who might be wandering through. Think of it from their perspective. Give it time. The cleanup work is the most hated part of the operation. Why? Because it is not making any money. It can be put off for a while. Cleanup is the job nobody wants to do, but they usually do it.
This (the work described in the first post) does not loggers or management look good. They are clearly ignoring either a survey (the trail's not a secret or invisible) or the public or safety. If they don't want people in the logging area, they should post the info in relevant places (trailheads, online, trail junctions). If they don't want to clean up after, they shouldn't sign up for the job.

trestle

trestle
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 12:05 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Give it time. The cleanup work is the most hated part of the operation. Why? Because it is not making any money. It can be put off for a while. Cleanup is the job nobody wants to do, but they usually do it.
Usually? And you wonder why so many distrust logging operations, particularly those on public lands, and file lawsuits to make sure things are done properly regardless of when the money is paid.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Naches Hiker

Naches Hiker
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 12:17 pm 
trestle wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Give it time. The cleanup work is the most hated part of the operation. Why? Because it is not making any money. It can be put off for a while. Cleanup is the job nobody wants to do, but they usually do it.
Usually? And you wonder why so many distrust logging operations, particularly those on public lands, and file lawsuits to make sure things are done properly regardless of when the money is paid.
Agency contractors can cut so many loops it ain't funny. One friend does contracts and says he an get away with a lot as the people overseeing the contracts usually don't get out and inspect the work site. On my side of things in another state, some contracts say loggers have to prep units for underburning and they will only prep what you can see from the road as they know the person inspecting their work is lazy.

Have I offended you today?