Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mia climbs Buck Mountain, August 18-20, 2017
Previous :: Next Topic  
radka

radka
PostSun Dec 17, 2017 11:20 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Howdy! My name is Mia, I am a 5-year old rat terrier, and this is my second trip report here on my third bulger peak that I bagged last August (you can check out my epic report on Dumbell and Greenwood here). Sorry about the delay in posting this, but I am a very busy dog. I am mostly busy with sleeping, but I also enjoy eating and getting my belly rubbed. When I am not sleeping, eating, or getting belly rubs, I also like hiking with my neighbor humans. It’s important to have my priorities in order.

Perhaps this report will still be helpful for other dogs and humans next summer because it was a fun adventure.

Day one involved driving on that long bumpy road again, but to a different trailhead this time. It was very windy, and I thought something in the woods was going to eat me, so I was a little hesitant but then my true terrier nature came out and I was leading the pack consisting of me and two humans (who are my neighbors and Sherpas, carrying my food and clothing). We heard that the bridge across Chiwawa river was washed out and impassable, but I am not going to be stopped by some silly chihuahuas, so we went to check it out. The crossing was a joke – I mean seriously? Only a chihuahua would call it impassable – me and my humans crossed it without blinking. We ran into a few humans on the trail who commented on my cuteness which I am very skilled at leveraging, but I got no treats this time so not sure what was up with that. After a few miles, we started hiking through burnt forest, which was very dusty, and we didn’t take any pictures. As we got higher, my humans got all excited about berries. I got a few berries, too, but they were kinda meh. Let me know when you find bacon berries and I will get more excited. Finally, we reached Buck Creek Pass as it started sprinkling. I was ready to crawl into the portable dog house and get some sleep!

Chiwawa crossing
Chiwawa crossing
arriving at Buck Creek Pass
arriving at Buck Creek Pass
inside our dog house
inside our dog house

I think we slept a bit too much, but I am not a morning person. Well, not until I get my treats and such. We finally left camp around 10-ish which was way too late for our adventure.

I am not a morning person
I am not a morning person
nope
nope
nope, again
nope, again
Did you say bacon?!
Did you say bacon?!
mornings are baaad
mornings are baaad

We had a nice trail with wonderful smells and views and it was just easy walking all the way to High Pass. We had great views of Napeequa, Clark, Luahna, Glacier Peak and my humans said they definitely wanted to return here. Hey, I want to come, too! We stopped in a basin at a nice pool and had lunch. After we left the basin, things got steeper and I even got a doggie taxi across some boulders. We then reached a saddle and saw our objective, Buck Mountain. Woof – it was still so far! Now we had to drop all the way down to a larch basin and then go all the way up to the summit. Wowzer!

we got up, success!
we got up, success!
follow me!
follow me!
leading the pack
leading the pack
big mountain
big mountain
our dog house is down there
our dog house is down there
stuff to sniff
stuff to sniff
artsy fartsy version
artsy fartsy version
look at that!
look at that!
Clark, Luahna, Napeequa
Clark, Luahna, Napeequa
snow is the best!
snow is the best!
I want what you have!
I want what you have!
views for dogs
views for dogs
dog taxi
dog taxi
our mountain
our mountain

My humans did a standing glissade and I did my standard dash down the snow (snow is my favorite). I can tell you, it’s all convoluted up there and you kinda zig zag your way through on slabs, ramps and all sorts of terrain. I just followed my humans. My humans had a little debate where the true summit was until we determined it was the bump on the ridge. The rocks were sharp here, so I was put in a backpack, a mode of travel we tested on Dumbell. This worked out well and I wore out my human solidly. I was looking forward to signing another summit register, but no register was found. Sad puppy face. I stayed in the backpack while my ears flapped in the wind on the summit ridge. We peeked over to the other side, down to King Lake, and I definitely wouldn’t want to fall there because I would be a pancake.

dropping to the basin
dropping to the basin
riding with my human
riding with my human
summit views
summit views
human on summit
human on summit
King Lake
King Lake

We retraced our steps back and I did some more running in snow. This route has so much up and down! Down the summit to the larch basin, then back up to the saddle, then down to the basin…it was just relentless. Definitely the biggest day of my dog life yet! It was getting dark as we got back on the trail. My humans offered me a ride in the backpack but I didn’t take them up on it because walking with headlamps was a new kind of adventure for me and I didn’t want to miss out on it – now I can brag to all the dogs in my neighborhood. I could barely move my four legs by the time we got back to our portable dog house aka tent. I was pooped out. See ya, humans, I am checked out.

leaving the summit
leaving the summit
in the backpack
in the backpack
food, I want
food, I want
summit area
summit area
glacier
glacier
getting a ride
getting a ride
larch basin and Clark
larch basin and Clark
where we came from
where we came from
sunset
sunset
headlamp time
headlamp time

On our third day, we just hiked out the same way we came. Easy peasy, including the river crossing for chihuahuas. Three bulgers down – woof! It was a good summer. Now I am back to sleeping, eating, and getting my belly rubbed. It’s what I call a dog life. Have a happy new year of dog!

told you, not a morning person
told you, not a morning person
nope
nope
see ya later, Glacier Peak!
see ya later, Glacier Peak!

TR: Mia the rat terrier
photos: humans

--------------
The future is yard birds
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Dec 19, 2017 5:16 pm 
Mia, you are not only a budding mountain  dog but a good writer.  Pretty cool you can type without thumbs!
However, you have to work up to crossing those big bad boulder fields (BBB) without aid.....even chihuahuas can do snow ( although it isn't pretty)🐈 but only real mtn folk can hop boulders without being packed....

--------------
Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
timberghost

timberghost
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 9:17 am 
Mia it's awful nice of you to bring your companions along on the hike!!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
radka

radka
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 10:18 pm 
Thanks, Brushbuffalo. I have humans for typing and carrying me across BBB - are you jelly?  winksmile.gif

These kids - I take them hiking when they're good.

Here is me fully in action last week. Told you I was busy!

--------------
The future is yard birds
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Dec 20, 2017 10:30 pm 
Quote:
Mia it's awful nice of you to bring your companions along on the hike!!

That's what I thought. agree.gif   I think Mia is worried the Chapins don't get out enough, so is helping them along.
rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 3:31 pm 
Is that Ron Reagan Junior in the bag with Mia?  Looks like him.
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 1:24 am 
Mia, you look surprisingly comfortable riding in a backpack.

--------------
“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
radka

radka
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 11:58 am 
rbuzby - I doogled Ron Reagan Jr and, omg, if I stretch my imagination, there is a bit of resemblance!  wink.gif

Matt - why walk when you can ride? I've trained my humans well  - I've got them wrapped around my little paws cool.gif

--------------
The future is yard birds
Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 6:39 am 
What the Buck? I tried to get dad to carry me, but he said something about me being too 'stout' to carry in a pack. I think he just needs to try harder.

Nice to see you have your people trained so well Mia.

--------------
Stout
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mia climbs Buck Mountain, August 18-20, 2017
  Happy Birthday ahumblefool, Lightning_bug!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: