Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Looking to buy a Minnkota trolling motor--any suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostThu Dec 21, 2017 3:14 pm 
I have a 12' wooden sailboat I want to stick a trolling motor on to do some downrigging in some of our bigger lakes. Does anyone have any experience using one of these? I'd like to get some decent hours out of it and not drop a thousand dollars. I've been looking at the Endura Max 50 to give about the right amount of speed and time on the water.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 22, 2017 12:09 pm 
If you are on a budget I frequently see trolling motors at pawn shops and they are nearly always open to haggling, but not sure what minimum size motor you will require. I recommend Pacific Power batteries for your power source, they have very compact deep cell batteries that work well.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 11:55 am 
I have heard the Russians have a lot of knowledge about trolling engines.....oh, never mind..... smile.gif

friluftsliv
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostSat Dec 23, 2017 1:58 pm 
I’ve used a number of electric trolling motors over the years, and currently own a 8hp Yamaha 4 stroke for a larger boat. Consider that you’ll need a honkin, heavy marine battery in addition to your Minn Kota (another $80-100). And that’ll have to go somewhere INSIDE your small boat. Not saying you SHOULD buy a 2-4hp gas motor but check em out. The 4 strokes are pleasantly quiet and not stinky. Most new small ones have an integrated gas tank on them and don’t take up room in your boat.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Dec 24, 2017 9:27 am 
Have a Suzuki DF6 4 stroke we use as a trolling motor on our 14' boat and it is pretty loud to me, I always feel it is scaring off every fish within earshot lol. Got a bit more HP so it can be used as a backup in case main outboard fails, which came in darned handy once on Chelan limping back from Lucerne. Have a tiny electric trolling motor for our 9' sevylor raft, have caught a lot of fish surface trolling with it. Would love to have an Ulterra for the boat, but that's some major bucks.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Dec 24, 2017 11:27 am 
I bought a golf cart-riding mower battery at Pacific Power batteries that is about half the size and weight of a traditional deep cell battery yet still provides plenty of power and good duration.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.