Forum Index > Trail Talk > Great Cascade Picture Books
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 4:52 am 
Got a book for Christmas, Cascade Panorama`s by Robert Kandiko. Really great shots. Nice for the coffee table, albeit a little pricey. Here is his website as he has a few books of interest to the NW hiker, traverser or climber: http://www.blurb.com/user/Kandiko

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 8:05 am 
Interesting. 40% off until Dec 29 makes it tempting to get one.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 1:58 pm 
Rich: I am not sure you noticed but after pulling up the site with his books, you can open each book up and page through the whole book, so there are no surprises about what you are getting.

cartman

cartman
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 8:14 pm 
These are amazing, I had no idea they existed. Those page-turners just draw you in... You are a very bad man, Marc. I promised myself I wasn't going to spend any more money this year, now look at what you're going to make me do. EDIT: Tried to use the 40% off code and got this message: "Sorry, this promotion can only be applied to books uploaded to and ordered through your own account." Confirmed, it's only for photo books you create yourself from your own photos. Scrolling down Blurb's FB page, all their discounts seem to be the same, i.e. not for purchasing other people's photo books. Too bad, Kandiko's books are very cool but are way too expensive to for me to order unless there is a serious discount. I wonder if Bob or Blurb set the prices?

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 9:45 pm 
Eric: I should have posted this before Christmas but I had to open my present first! Ya, I am not exactly sure why more people don`t know about these books as they are really high quality and full of good information. Maybe you need to start a blurb account?? I took this site directly off the internet so not sure about whether there is a discount?

cartman

cartman
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 9:57 pm 
Marc, I did open a Blurb account and tried to order with the same result. Then I messaged Blurb customer service and they apologized for the promo code confusion and said they have no promos right now for purchasing other's books. At $70-80 a pop for a book there's no way I'm paying that no matter how cool it is. The one you have is $113!! If I can purchase directly from Bob Kandiko for a reasonable price I'd consider that route.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 10:59 pm 
Wow, he has some great looking books about backcountry routes and traverses in the Pickets, Glacier Peak, Nooksack.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 11:48 pm 
I recall Bob emailed me a few years ago asking for permission to use some picturies from our lime ridge trip in one of his books. At the prices charged maybe I should ask for some royalties. embarassedlaugh.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 12:15 am 
Tom and all: Blurb sets the price and I am pretty sure Bob would want the price way down, but alas that is not the case.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 8:17 am 
up.gif Wow !

Living in the Anthropocene
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 pm 
Blurb sets a minimum price.....i.e. your cost, and then you add whatever profit margin you think you can get and the market will bear. I published one book on Blurb, just to get my mom off my back in response to her "You really should make a book with your pictures". I bought one for my parents, one for me, set the price at my cost and never sold another. Not that I really cared or was trying to. I don't know if the account expired by now. You could probably figure out what his cost is. Blurb is not a particularly cheap way to publish a book, although the results are quite nice.

friluftsliv
cartman

cartman
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm 
Right, confirmed by Blurb's customer service: "As for pricing, the pricing that you will see to purchase your own books would be the cost price. This price is determined by numerous things such as paper type, page count, size of the book, cover type, etc. The price that you will see in the bookstore for other authors book would be the cost price of the book as well as the profit margin that they have set up. So for example, if the cost price of the book is $20 dollars, and the author has set up a profit margin of $5 per book, the total you would see in the bookstore as the price would be the $25. As for promos, Blurb does offer various promos for Bookstore purchases for non-authors. They do tend to vary as to how much they are worth, and all of us in C.S. are never aware when a new promo may come out. The dates for those promos are decided by our marketing team, and they are usually posted on our social media sites, or sent out in an email chain."

daffish

daffish
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 2:58 pm 
Blurb is just one of many POD (print on demand) self printing websites. I have made several books on Blurb, usually family or friends orientated books to commemorate a special event. They do high quality printing and I have always been very pleased with the results. And, yes, they are very expensive! But I found it worth the high cost for very limited printings of the books. And as discussed, Blurb often offers good deals for the authors. Unfornunately, the cost is usually prohibitive to produce a marketable book for the public. A number of NWHikers have published books using Blurb. One person, Aaron Young (aywolfpac) has also done a series of books using Blurb and his are a more reasonable price: http://www.blurb.com/user/aywolfpac

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter