Forum Index > Trail Talk > New Winter Attraction
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 5:27 am 
Wow! The Loup is really thinking outside the ski area box. They've got a luge run. I'll have to go look at it when I am settled in. They do not mention all the nordic trails in the area but they do exist and are groomed. Here's the facebook post. Good news! Loup Loup Ski Bowl will OPEN this Wednesday, December 27 - January 1, with some limited operations and a brand new exciting activity available on the Hill! Here’s what’s up: Starting 12/27, the Loup will operate the Poma Lift and the rope tow. As of this writing, there is not enough base to allow the chair runs to open, but that can change at any moment, so keep your eyes on FB and www.skitheloup.com for that announcement. Also available starting Wednesday is our brand spanking new LUGE SLED RUNS on lower Bear Mountain! That’s right - you can rent a European style wooden luge sled and take it for an exciting slide down the trails on the mountain across the parking lot from the ski / snowboard runs. Worry not, if you have never done this before, we can train you before we let you loose on the hill. Come up this weekend (12/23-24), and when you buy a Tube Hill ticket, you can also demo a luge! Also available beginning 12/27: Wild Wolf Tube Hill, Season Pass printing, Ski Shop rentals, retail sales and equipment tuning, ski and snowboard lessons on the lower mountain (rope tow / Poma), Nordic skiing on the Flat Loop, and food service in the Day Lodge. After January 1, we expect to resume our regular schedule of being open on Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, with extended hours over MLK, and President’s holidays.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 11:26 am 
Loup Loup is a nice little ski area when it gets sufficient snow, which is less hit and and more miss most years. The sled run is part of a plan to get revenue @ the miss.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 1:17 pm 
I taught skiing there in the 1980s. They paid more than White Pass did which surprised me. The Loup was run by Wenatchee Valley College at that time. It is still a non-profit hill-- I think. I have not skied there since they replaced the Poma with a chairlift, or since the flushing toilets were put in. It was a shock to the ski racers from elsewhere to discover that there were only vault toilets to use.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Mikey

Mikey
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 1:38 pm 
Apparently Loup Loup is located mid-way between Twisp and Okanogan 2 miles off Highway 20. A trail map provides some perspective of the area. I have skied the Mt Hood ski areas, White Pass, Crystal Mtn, all of the Snoqualmie Pass areas, Stevens Pass, Mission Ridge, Mt Baker, and Whistler but never been to Loup Loup.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 1:54 pm 
Loup Loup has a 1200 ft vertical and is a fun hill when there is enough snow. It's at the summit of Loup Loup Pass. We used to buy season passes and then would get half off the price at Apex, which was across the boundary. Another little hill is just Norteast of Tonasket. It also has a chairlift, although a very old one, and is called Sitzmark. It is run by a ski club. It is also a non-profit hill. Did you know that there is a little ski hill out of Waterville where one has to ski, walk, or snowmobile into? I learned to ski there. It is Badger Mountain. I don't know what they have for lifts now, but it used to have three rope tows. I do know it is still running. There were once little hills all over the place. Squilchuck, where I hurt my knee skiing, one up the Entiat, and one by Chelan. Squilchuck is still a state park and is on the road to Mission Ridge. I am thinking that Squilchuck and the Entiat hill were also run by WVC in the early days of their ski management program. Oh, and Leavenworth had a hill too. It was a big thing when the Wide World Of Sports arrived and broadcast the ski jumping there. But I digress. The South Summit area of the Loup has a snow park and groomed cross country trails. There is even an area for skiing with your hounds in the vicinity. You may have to share part of the trail with snowmobilers, but I have been told that all are polite and do manage to share the trail. I've only hiked some of the ski trails in the summer there, but hope to ski some this winter.
At the start of the South Summit trails. These are on the south side of Hwy 20. The downhill area is across the highway on the north side.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 3:29 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Did you know that there is a little ski hill out of Waterville where one has to ski, walk, or snowmobile into? I don't know what they have for lifts now, but it used to have three rope tows.
The road to Badger Mountain ski area is regularly plowed. It currently has 2 rope tows and a T-bar. I haven't skied there yet, plan to get up there this winter if it opens. It's run by the local Lions Club.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 3:41 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Did you know that there is a little ski hill out of Waterville where one has to ski, walk, or snowmobile into? I don't know what they have for lifts now, but it used to have three rope tows.
The road to Badger Mountain ski area is regularly plowed. It currently has 2 rope tows and a T-bar. I haven't skied there yet, plan to get up there this winter if it opens. It's run by the local Lions Club.
That's news to me. They have a webcam to check on conditions and there is some snow. One more dump and they should open up. http://www.skibadgermt.com
Quote:
Daily - $10.00 Lowest Priced lift ticket in North America !!!!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 4:59 pm 
The road was plowed when I was there in winter a few years ago. There are working farms on Badger Mountain Road all the way to the ski area. AFAIK beyond that there is no snow plowing.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 5:44 pm 
Back in the 1960s we had to trudge what seemed like a thousand miles uphill, packing skis, to get to the Badger Mtn. ski area from a parking area. I'm thinking it was probably a quarter of a mile and flat. We did not know about cross country skiing then. I was just reading up about the luge at the Loup and was disappointed to see it is only slow looking sleds on runners going down a wide slope. I was thinking of icy deadly banked curves and small, fast sleds like they have in the Olympics. Guess they don't want the injuries. There is no longer cross country skiing on the north side of the highway because it has been turned into a slow luge hill.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 5:58 pm 
Looks like it still is a walk or ski in area. That's a wheat field between road and lodge. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Badger+Mountain+Ski+Lodge/@47.6131307,-120.1278922,218m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x549bbf33b55436df:0x6a52f88f16b488ab!8m2!3d47.6125783!4d-120.1304198

trestle

trestle
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 6:39 pm 
If you think Badger is worth a repeat visit, you should try Echo Valley. Downhill, X-country, and tubing.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 6:49 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Looks like it still is a walk or ski in area. That's a wheat field between road and lodge.
Well, yeah, you gotta walk from the parking lot to the lodge, same as every ski area (except those with a tram from the parking area to the lodge, e.g., Silver Mountain).

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:05 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Looks like it still is a walk or ski in area. That's a wheat field between road and lodge.
Well, yeah, you gotta walk from the parking lot to the lodge, same as every ski area (except those with a tram from the parking area to the lodge, e.g., Silver Mountain).
Ummmm, this would be a bit farther. Of course, I have not made it a practice to ski on busy days when parking lots are full and a long walk required. My memory and seeing the pictures recall a walk through a rolly wheatfield. We parked along the road as there was no parking lot at that time. It wasn't because of crowded conditions, it was the layout. Call me lazy, but I do not like clomping around in ski boots, although they were the old leather lace ups when we went to Waterville. Brrrrr. Loup Loup just requires a stroll across the parking lot. I go to ski, not to clomp around.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:50 am 
Rad! My sliding started with just such a luge run in the middle of Detroit. Then free style sledding. Eventually progressing to standing on the sled, and riding off the back side of the hill. Go this year, talk to the kids. 12 years from now, you can say "I met her when she first starte".... as she pulls down an Olympic gold in luging.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 9:24 am 
treeswarper wrote:
My memory and seeing the pictures recall a walk through a rolly wheatfield.
There's an access road from Badger Mountain Road to the lodge. The access road is obvious in the sat imagery.
treeswarper wrote:
Ummmm, this would be a bit farther. Of course, I have not made it a practice to ski on busy days when parking lots are full and a long walk required.
This is a hiking forum, ya know. It's a 500 yard walk from the parking area at the road to the lodge. Big friggin' deal. Lemme guess: You don't ski tour. 500 yards. Did I mention this is a hiking forum?