Forum Index > Trip Reports > Keechelus Ridge snowshoe -12/17/2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
FredV

FredV
PostMon Dec 18, 2017 8:18 am 
Keechelus Ridge snowshoe Parked at junction of NF 4832 and NF 124. The road is snow and ice but divalbe by any suv. Snowshoed up the NF124 road until 3300 feet. At that point we left the road and snowshoed directly uphill into the forest to reach the tower. Didn't see any people today .... well a few snow machines were at the tower. Lots of new snow (12 inches) in the upper sections. The high point is about 0.5 miles beyond the tower.
[img]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/rRL8H4RZaUe1zqRT5eZniQoS3I3UL_iflyxql_iBc_sZo-BiL_xsPp3LhhLm_1Zmom0QON9Wge-

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 am 
Tagging onto FredV's report as there seems to be a lack of info about where to park when doing this as a winter trip now that Rd 4832 is closed to wheeled traffic for the winter and the Price Ck Sno-Park is no longer in existence as of 2015. There is parking just off of Kachess Lake Rd (exit 62) at the intersection with 4832 one mile north of I-90 for 6-8 cars or about 3 trucks with snowmobile trailers. There is no sign present that indicates a sno park pass is required or that parking there is prohibited. If this area is fully occupied there is no other spot nearby that I'm aware of. We walked up 4832 for 1.5 miles to Rd 124 and took this up to the microwave tower where we then continued along the ridge the last half mile to the summit. Gaia says 6.5 miles and 3000' of gain one way. On the way down we dropped straight off the ridge more or less following the unnamed creek east of Noble Ck and walked the main service road to where it turns sharply northeast before cruising down through forest and some brush the last 400' vertical back to the car. This way was 2 miles shorter than the trip up.
Parking on FR 4832.
Parking on FR 4832.
The road is groomed for snowmobiles.
The road is groomed for snowmobiles.
At the microwave tower.
At the microwave tower.
The walk toward the true summit.
The walk toward the true summit.
Last bit of climbing to the top.
Last bit of climbing to the top.
Summit 5151.'
Summit 5151.'
Some brief sun on the way down.
Some brief sun on the way down.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 2:26 pm 
Thanks for the information, Rich. I'm looking for a nice snowshoe trip to do with my South Sound hiking pal and this might be a good one! smile.gif