Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Tiger homeless camp
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Dec 26, 2017 8:27 am 
Was out at Tiger doing a hike up Lingering to bootleg and they were packing up on the 23rd.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 6:36 pm 
Yes, I stopped by on the 26th to drop off some holiday food and it had vanished! Not sure where they went at this time. http://www.sharewheel.org/tent-city-4 ETA they are in Sammamish, Mary Queen of Peace Church

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 12:30 pm 
They are back tongue.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
huron

huron
PostFri Jun 01, 2018 1:25 pm 
Many never left. They dispersed into woods around preston trail. Much debris remains.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 2:17 pm 
In King county, Western Washington you get what you ask for! Awesome isnt it? shakehead.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
huron

huron
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 3:21 pm 
I'll take a muddy tent carcass over Eastern Washington's beer cans and shot gun shells. County truck was slow cruising the recently graded Preston trail today. Much of the winter's garbage is removed. Still a couple tarp shelters deeper into the North hillside but everything between the trail and I-90 is cleared out.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 5:21 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
In King county, Western Washington you get what you ask for! Awesome isnt it? shakehead.gif
Ellensburg has a camp as well -- just not as well organized. https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/news/focus-is-on-survival-at-homeless-camp-near-canyon-road/article_faf7f99b-734d-5b48-8ba2-2d6232c1db0f.html Statistically Kittitas County has about 0.6 homeless people per 1000 population vs King country with 1.2 homeless people per 1000 population. But that's a bit improvement from 2010 when Kittitas county's homeless rate was 3.2 homeless per 1000 population. Whereas King county's rate has doubled since 2010. I wonder what happened to improve Kittitas county's numbers -- hopefully it wasn't something like what Las Vegas did -- started buying their homeless people one-way bus tickets to SFO, SLC or LAX.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 6:41 pm 
^ The issue is certainly not unique to Western Washington or King County, in spite of those who wish to perpetuate myths.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 9:04 pm 
Ski wrote:
^ The issue is certainly not unique to Western Washington or King County, in spite of those who wish to perpetuate myths.
MYTHS MY BUTT! Have you seen the GARBAGE DUMP THAT IS THE CITY OF SEATTLE THESE DAYS! LIAMD!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 9:50 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Ski wrote:
MYTHS MY BUTT! Have you seen the GARBAGE DUMP THAT IS THE CITY OF SEATTLE THESE DAYS! LIAMD!
NYC has more homeless people per capita than Seattle -- yet it is fairly free of garbage-- one reason is the 5 cent per bottle and can redemption value. Homeless people scour the streets and the parks and collect them. Whereas informal homeless camps areas here tend to have "midden piles" of discarded bottles and cans. The other reason it is cleaner is the legions of sanitation employees that sweep up the parks and streets.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 10:06 pm 
^ in their infinite wisdom the powers that be in Olympia have chosen repeatedly to not tack on a deposit on bottles and cans here. on Maui the homeless guys dig through trash cans for aluminum containers they can sell for cash. apparently they don't have the same deposits on plastic bottles. on Oa'hu at the overlook on Tantalus Drive the plastic bottles were piled up two feet deep on the outboard side of the rock retaining walls alongside the pavement.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jun 02, 2018 10:25 pm 
The reason there is no deposit on bottles is the dogged resistance of the beverage industry. The legislature was bought off and citizens replied with several initiatives which were fought with big money from the industry. Elections have consequences.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 6:59 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
MYTHS MY BUTT! Have you seen the GARBAGE DUMP THAT IS THE CITY OF SEATTLE THESE DAYS!
Ummm Centralia, Aberdeen, Spokane and an encampment was cleaned up in Omak last winter. During the 1960s, there were "hobo camps" on the river bank south of the bridge in Wenatchee. The population increased during Apple harvest. Homeless have always existed but the terminology has changed. We used to call them bums. Meanwhile, this area is constructing apartments for the low paid agricultural workers. Rent should be around $300/mo. Yakima ha converted a large motel into farmworker housing. It won't work for all homeless because the housing is for people who are employed. Maybe more homeless ought to pick fruit?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 7:39 am 
treeswarper wrote Maybe more homeless ought to pick fruit? well let me ask this... have YOU ever picked fruit? Just to keep this honest, yes I have picked fruit in wenatchee. Some orchards you pick a variety of red apples other orchards you pick yellow. You must be much more careful on the yellow skinned apples or your finger pressure from picking will show and that is not acceptable so you have to go slower and you pick less so you make less money...As noted above the rent for pickers was 300 dollars.. How about doing this...You want people to pick because if you dont have them you cant get your apples to market so give the shelter for free....(novel idea hey)

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 03, 2018 9:22 am 
cdestroyer wrote:
treeswarper wrote Maybe more homeless ought to pick fruit? well let me ask this... have YOU ever picked fruit? Just to keep this honest, yes I have picked fruit in wenatchee. Some orchards you pick a variety of red apples other orchards you pick yellow. You must be much more careful on the yellow skinned apples or your finger pressure from picking will show and that is not acceptable so you have to go slower and you pick less so you make less money...As noted above the rent for pickers was 300 dollars.. How about doing this...You want people to pick because if you dont have them you cant get your apples to market so give the shelter for free....(novel idea hey)
Yes. I had to. There was no other way for me to pay for school.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities