Forum Index > Trail Talk > Care to help me with some tree identification?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 12:27 am 
I am in North Idaho and really want to learn to identify trees in the area, can anyone recommend a definitive book, maybe a DVD or website? Google helped some but I need more specific info, especially given that I have no background in Dendrology.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 2:11 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am in North Idaho and really want to learn to identify trees in the area, can anyone recommend a definitive book, maybe a DVD or website? Google helped some but I need more specific info, especially given that I have no background in Dendrology.
http://www.idahoforests.org/img/pdf/treesofidaho.pdf http://www.uidaho.edu/-/media/UIdaho-Responsive/Files/Extension/forestry/Big-Tree-Program/Idaho-Registry-of-Champion-Big-Trees-Nov-2016.ashx?la=en&hash=543B70E33532059E749A4398843ACFA0958D83AA Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:11 am 
This one is free and online. Go to page 74 for tree id. I have the soft copy book which was out of print for a while. https://www.ibsp.idaho.gov/IdahoLogScalingManual-2008%20Edition%20%28print%29.pdf

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 6:41 am 
Learned this from my next door neighbour. Vegetable oil. Rub veggie oil on dry dirty hands, or sap. (He prefers EVO), then dish suds and hot water. Magic! Sometimes you need to clean up for that event right after.

gb

gb
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 8:08 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The best book I've seen is this one by Steven Arno with illustrations by Rebecca Hammersley:
It really covers the entire west except maybe extreme SW and goes far beyond tree identification, delving into habitats of particular tree species. I don't have a copy but have read it. As cheap as it is online I should pick up a copy. A very complete website is this one which covers conifers around the world and provides detailed overviews of each species as well as links to any number of more technical articles. It is a great website to bookmark. The gymnosperm database Most of the trees we are interested in are under Pineaceae And on removing pitch from the hands/clothes in the field sandy dirt, as Kim says, works easily. Shortly after dirt is applied the pitch begins to wear off. By the end of the day there will be none left.

RickZman

RickZman
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 9:32 am 
There is an app, currently for Android only, called "Trees PNW" which helps to identify the different North West trees. Cliff Cantor, a long time WTA, volunteer published the app. It contains lots of pictures and written descriptions. Cliff has told me that the iPhone version is in beta testing.

RickZman
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 11:50 am 
gb wrote:
The best book I've seen is this one by Steven Arno with illustrations by Rebecca Hammersley:
It really covers the entire west except maybe extreme SW and goes far beyond tree identification, delving into habitats of particular tree species.
+1 That's a great field guide for WA mountain trees. Hammerly's drawings are fantastic. I'm a Sibley's bird book fan, but was greatly disappointed by Sibley's attempt at a tree guide. Don't bother. Get the Arno/Hammerly guide.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 12:58 pm 
Thanks so much! Just ordered the book on ebay used for 4 bucks.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.