Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blue Mountain (Sultan)
Previous :: Next Topic  
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 6:06 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Just before Christmas, wanted a good lower elevation workout.  Blue Mountain can be accessed from the Sultan Basin Road.

Video of trip

FULL TRIP REPORT

Route taken
Route taken
Goal to find this area
Goal to find this area
Gate off Sultan Basin Road
Gate off Sultan Basin Road
Some short patches of sun hit at the lookout area but overall it was cloudy.
Some short patches of sun hit at the lookout area but overall it was cloudy.
Mount Pilchuck tried to come out
Mount Pilchuck tried to come out
Site used by AWS during WWII (see full trip report)
Site used by AWS during WWII (see full trip report)

--------------
Taking a break from peakbagging to do some lookout bagging.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Josh Lewis
Up up and away!

Josh Lewis
Up up and away!
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 pm 
Eric Willhite wrote:
Route taken
Route taken

I take it the yellow circle is the old look out site position? So does the 6 mile stats not include the true summit? Thanks for the update.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 6:46 pm 
Josh Lewis wrote:
I take it the yellow circle is the old look out site position? So does the 6 mile stats not include the true summit?

Yes, the yellow circle is the area based on old maps and the location on AWS documents.  Although, if you go 10 minutes further (the next clear-cut) the ridge looks a whole lot like the photograph of the lookout tower.  I explored there as well just incase at the west summit area.

Yes, the 6 miles is to the lookout site area.  Although I went beyond the circle, I didn't go to the eastern "true" summit so I'm not sure the best route there.  The old roads on the map looked like they drop a bit to get there...unless you did a bit of off trail.  The forest looked pretty mature to get there so it's likely an easy snowshoe off trail.  I didn't have a Discover Pass where my car was parked so I decided to get down before it got too late in the morning.  My camera died but I wanted to do a "rant" in my video about requiring a Discover Pass to walk on roads built & paid for by State timber sales.

--------------
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 6:46 pm 
Nice video, Eric, and thanks for providing the photo of the old lookout.
Coincidentally, my latest TR in "lazy trip reports" is also for Blue Mountain, accessed from a target shooting area near Olney Pass. If you don't mind a stray bullet or two, you get some amazing views from that end of Blue Mountain. biggrin.gif
Blue Mountain views 12/23/17
Blue Mountain views 12/23/17
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostWed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
my latest TR in "lazy trip reports" is also for Blue Mountain

I just noticed it.  Yes, I was up there the day before you on Friday.  The next day was that perfect weather you got and I was wishing I had that day free instead.  I might have just traversed the whole mountain doing a loop to take in all the views.

--------------
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 8:08 am 
How was the logging truck activity?  There are very active up there and not too happy to see hikers when they have big trucks on the road. There is going to be a lot more new logging in the general area within the next few months.  The snow does a good job of covering the logging debris for the last mile. We saw your bicycle tracks and that you switched to walking at mile 5 where the snow started.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 10:33 am 
RolyPoly wrote:"There is going to be a lot more logging in the general area within the next few months." Yes, there is a huge amount of scalping going on, not much is going to be left of Blue Mountain. The snow covers up the ugly scars in the winter, thankfully.
Did you see the dirt bikers on Saturday, RolyPoly?
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 11:35 pm 
Very swell video.  The music was particularly soothing.  That and the framing made it a fun experience.  Yes, the car scene was creepy.  The dream turned a bit nightmarish.  I liked the transitions from bicycling to hiking to snowshoeing.  Very nice.  ~z
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostFri Dec 29, 2017 7:37 am 
Nancyann, we saw the dirt bikers. We must have been there the same day!  I have a new destination I'll be posting a lot about.  It has a fabulous view down to highway 2 traffic.😊
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Dec 29, 2017 10:01 am 
We just found out that Weyerhouser recently purchased much of the area north of Kellogg Lake. It will be interesting to see how they go about managing it and hopefully not sell it to a developer.
Also, I forgot to mention that the ski and winter sports traffic on Highway 2 has been utterly horrendous lately, particularly on the weekends. Sunday after 11:30 am the traffic starts to gridlock. Anyone thinking about hiking in the basin would be advised to try a mid-week day when you only have to deal with logging trucks barreling down the road. agree.gif
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blue Mountain (Sultan)
  Happy Birthday morroj!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: