Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Job Opening @ The Wilderness Society
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek

blue_tuberosa
Uber Geek
PostThu Jan 20, 2005 1:03 pm 
January 2005 POSITION DESCRIPTION POSITION: Communications Director LOCATION: Seattle, WA REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to PNW Regional Director POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Exempt START DATE: Immediately ************************************************************* SUMMARY The Wilderness Society (TWS), a national non-profit membership organization devoted to preserving wilderness and wildlife, is seeking a highly creative and skilled communications expert to direct regional ommunications for ourPacific Northwest program. This person will be a key member of a dynamic, creative, and skilled team working to protect wilderness and wildlife in Washington and Oregon. QUALIFICATIONS The ideal candidate has significant experience in advocacy, campaign, environment, and/or political communications work, outstanding strategic instincts, excellent writing skills, a proven track record of successful media relations and broader communications initiatives, and a love of challenge. Knowledge of legislative process/public affairs is helpful; experience with conservation, public lands and/or forestry issues is desirable. A strong conservation ethic is essential. The ability to lead initiatives, juggle competing priorities and work effectively within teams and coalitions is important. A Bachelor’s degree in communications, political science, environmental studies or related field is required. The position is fast-paced and challenging, and offers a wealth of opportunity to increase and diversify skills and experience, exercise leadership and fuel creativity. Some travel is required. RESPONSIBILITIES To provide leadership for comprehensive communications efforts in > support of The Wilderness Society’s Pacific Northwest program, > including: · Develop and implement national and regional media strategies and campaigns; · Craft messages and media outreach materials including op-eds, press releases, brochures, briefing packages for print and broadcast media; · Initiate and maintain excellent working relationships with key media as well as effectively reaching out to new media audiences; · Develop new messengers, through outreach and training, to effectively deliver conservation messages from diverse constituencies; · Produce and manage media events such as press conferences, reporter conference calls, and one-on-one interviews; · Work closely with local and regional partners on strategic advice, message work, and general grassroots assistance; · Work to strategically leverage TWS resources, especially our original science and analysis; · Translate scientific concepts into understandable material for a lay audience; · Coordinate closely with other TWS staff, including the national Communications Department, to fully integrate PNW campaign communications efforts and strategies into full national scope of organization’s work and mission; · Improve message research, development and discipline; · Assist with membership communications as appropriate; · Assist program staff with media outreach, working with them to handle breaking news and develop future story concepts. This position is located inSeattle, Washington. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including health and dental insurance and a pension plan. The Wilderness Society is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair and equal treatment of its employees and constituents regardless of differences based on culture, socioeconomic status, race, marital or family situation, gender, age, ethnicity, religious beliefs, physical ability, or sexual orientation. Submit resume, cover letter, writing samples and references to: Suzan Schneider The Wilderness Society 1424 Fourth Ave., Ste. 816 Seattle, WA 98101 info@twsnw.org <mailto:mackermann@tws.org> No phone calls, please Take a walk on the wild side at http://www.wilderness.org

Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done. - Justice Louis Brandeis
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 20, 2005 1:06 pm 
Thanks for posting that. Looks like a very kewl job. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Andrew

Andrew
PostThu Jan 20, 2005 2:44 pm 
Wow, sounds like a good job. If something like this pops up in 3-4 years time when I have my Poly Sci degree, I would jump on it!

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jan 20, 2005 3:24 pm 
Do they need an Emergency Forest Nurse ?, I could do trail maintainence on the side hockeygrin.gif wildernessed

Living in the Anthropocene
newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!

newdawnfades
i'm no tourist!
PostFri Jan 21, 2005 9:43 am 
I wish I had the experience for something like this, just the type of job that I would jump on.

Nothing I can sing will bring you back. Not the songs of a hundred horses running until they become wind. Not the personal song of the rain who makes love to the earth.