Forum Index > Trail Talk > What were your 2017 hiking stats?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 am 
Perhaps there should be two columns, those with full time jobs and family obligations and those without or retired? Puts things in perspective. 530 miles 180,200' coolest trip: Glacier Peak circumnavigation, completing the 6 PNW major volcanoes

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 9:17 am 
Another very good hiking year. 91 Trips 860 miles 223,300' elevation gain 1 full time job, per williswall First time backpacking trips to Lost Creek Ridge & Devil's Park/Crater Mountain. 17 first time trails was well above average. I aim for 10+. My website cracked 750 trip reports and 24,000 photos. Time to start all over again for 2018.

JimL

JimL
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 3:46 pm 
I am retired so hiking, travel and fighting cancer are my fulltime jobs. This year I hiked: 806-miles with 203,424-feet of elevation gain. For 2018 I hope to do more backpacking and less cancer fighting.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 am 
Trail running (hiking fast) : 940 miles Hiking / Backpacking : Haven't looked yet.

Living in the Anthropocene
RickZman

RickZman
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 am 
I'm retired so volunteering is my job... 712 hours volunteering with WTA In the process of WTA and just general hiking: 320 miles 25,200 ft vertical gain over 20 nights in my tent

RickZman
geyer

geyer
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 7:32 pm 
I'm always a big fan of stats and seeing other people's stats, even if there weren't any goals associated with them. That said here's mine: 30 trips 477 miles 174000 elevation ~15.9 miles/trip ~5800 elevation/trip 5 night hikes 34 summits (15 top 100, 6 top 200p) 15 solo trips 8 trips with 3+ people 28 new hikes 13 involving significant snow 25 nights camped 1 mild knee sprain 1 hip bursitis 1 groin strain 2 aurora borealis sightings 1 bear sighting (I was in the car still) 7,540 times my camera's shutter opened and closed 2.5 months to start the year without any adventures to study for a test 15 trip reports written on NWHikers!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 8:25 pm 
I hiked a bunch. I continued to find new hikes both near and far from home, but also revisited many old haunts. I enjoyed almost all of it very much. I significantly less than usual due to having to "rehab" a recently adopted dog from late May through the end of summer, but some of the new-to-me hikes I did get to are wonderful memories now. I traded some hiking calories for biking calories due to the rehab deal. It was all worth it. That's about as statistical as I get on this sort of thing...

Abert

Abert
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 8:22 am 
Someone warned me when I retired 11 years ago that I'd get bored with hiking, and regret not working: 0 Significant new injuries or totaled vehicles (major improvement over the previous 2 years) 1 Desert tortoise 1 Moose 1 Rattlesnake 1 Band of wild burros 1 Backcountry sheepherder with accompanying dog 2 Trips mice got into my car 3 Verified nwhikers 4 Trips seeing Mountain goats 4 Nights in friends' house 7 Bears 9 States hiked in 12 Nights in motels 12 Bighorn sheep 19 Backpacking nights 61 Nights in the back of the car 223 Days of hiking 292 New peaks 1930 Miles of hiking 528000 Elevation gain

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 10:23 am 
I'd like to think I'm an avid mountain climber, but my stats are downright pathetic compared to everyone else. Well, they would be if I kept track of such things. It's tough to get out as much as I'd like with a full time job and two young kids. I don't really track miles / ele gain but here's what I got: 43 peaks (36 new) 2 nights in a tent (I really, really wish my life would allow for much more) 9 trailhead night-before car or tent bivies 2 volcanoes (1 summit bivy) 11 summit sunrise's lots a good memories and some great photos Despite the relatively minuscule stats, I feel like '17 was probably my best year in the mountains which is what it's all about. It's really cool to see the stats from those who are retirement age. I often worry about being able to keep this up as I get older but you guys are killing it out there! Way to go!

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 11:45 am 
Abert wrote:
1 Band of wild burros
Awesome! Where'd you run into these guys?

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 12:19 pm 
Abert wrote:
Someone warned me when I retired 11 years ago that I'd get bored with hiking, and regret not working
Yeah, when I let folks know I was going to take "early retirement" some asked me "but what are you going to do?" I saw it simply as a failure of imagination! Oh, and I also had two trips on which mice got into my camper van. Still puzzling out whether I have a hole somewhere or else they just hopped in when I'd left the sliding door open a bit too long while my attention was elsewhere...

Abert

Abert
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 3:24 pm 
Joker, I'm fairly sure my body will wear out before my desire to be outside does. Googling provided a likely answer as to where the mice were getting into my Subaru. I just didn't expect it to happen again 2 weeks after the first time after never happening before, so hadn't gotten around to trying to block things. I saw the burros in the Mojave National Preserve. I'd heard them the night before and all morning before finally seeing them on the way down from hiking up into the Providence Mountains.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 4:11 pm 
Abert wrote:
I saw the burros in the Mojave National Preserve. I'd heard them the night before and all morning before finally seeing them on the way down from hiking up into the Providence Mountains.
Wow! What a cool photo! With the burros and all those different species of cacti Love it! up.gif up.gif up.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Julia

Julia
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 10:44 pm 
My busiest year yet. I'm really enjoying being an old semi-retired woman! clown.gif 1,612.5 miles hiked/climbed 14 bears 2 Knee injections (osteoarthritis) 1 Sprain (ankle) 1 Broken bone (finger) 0 Hours watching television Climbed HoodX2, AdamsX2, Helens, Baker, Glacier Peak, EldoradoX2 & Rainier + This year I'll probably not get as many hiking miles in, but I'm adding Nordic skiing to my activities & working on better nutrition.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 2:26 pm 
Julia, what a fabulous year for you! Way to make the most out of semi-retirement. up.gif I took full advantage of my first year of early retirement also, and had an absolute blast. Not sure how many miles or trips I logged, but did get out on a hike at least once a week for every week of 2017. The longest one day hike was 16 miles from our basecamp at Whistler Basin at the base of Mt. Ashnola through the most glorious wildflower-filled meadows to Ramon Lakes close to the Canadian border. Sadly, the Diamond Creek Fire raged through here not long after we left, so heartbreaking. The shortest dayhike of 2017 was at the new Heybrook Ridge trail with my 2 1/2 year old grandson. He hiked up a quarter mile up the trail and then ran all the way back without even tripping! wub.gif Other highlights: Billy Goat to Big Hidden Lake, 36 miles, three days Billy Goat to Ramon Lakes, approx. 50 miles, four days Slate Pass to Woody Pass on the PCT, approx. 35 miles, three days (we were smoked out of a planned six day loop trip) Bald Eagle/North Fork Sauk Loop, 50+ miles, five days and my favorite. Lost Creek Ridge to Hardtack Lake, 20 miles, three days (bad weather at the start thwarted our efforts to reach Lake Byrne) It all added up to my best year of hiking since my early twenties!