Forum Index > Trail Talk > Epic waves at Waikiki Beach
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Dec 30, 2017 2:47 pm 
Earlier this month I photographed and filmed some the best waves I've ever seen at Waikiki Beach in Cape Disappointment State Park. Here's the video:
And I've put together the best photos into a gallery on my website: http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/2017/12/the-epic-waves-of-waikiki-beach.html

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Dec 30, 2017 4:34 pm 
Super nice work! thanks for sharing. what photo gear did you shoot with?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Dec 30, 2017 4:39 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Super nice work! thanks for sharing. what photo gear did you shoot with?
Thanks! I shot all of this (aside from the intro and outro, which were filmed using my smartphone) with the Canon 80D with the Canon 55-250mm stm mounted on a tripod. I made the mistake of not checking my framerate before shooting, so I recorded video in 30fps instead of 60, which meant I spent a lot of time in post processing using interpolation to get smooth slow motion video.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Dec 31, 2017 9:05 am 
Cape D is one of my favorite places in the world. Lovely video and nice catch on the beautiful waves!! up.gif up.gif up.gif cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSun Dec 31, 2017 11:27 am 
lookout bob wrote:
Cape D is one of my favorite places in the world. Lovely video and nice catch on the beautiful waves!! up.gif up.gif up.gif cool.gif
Thank you!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 3:47 pm 
Awesome videography, but do you have a version where we can hear the sounds of the waves instead of the cheesy electronic music?

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 2:04 am 
Foist wrote:
do you have a version where we can hear the sounds of the waves instead of the cheesy electronic music?
You're not the first to dislike the music! Personally I thought it matched the video really well, but I can easily understand why others might find it irritating. The reason I use so much electronic music in my videos is because it's the most commonly available copyright free music available. Unfortunately, conditions weren't great for capturing audio - the area was very busy at the time. Whenever I try to capture audio of natural surroundings nearby sounds, even small ones like my breathing, crunching gravel, shifting clothing, etc. are a constant problem. In this case I'm was constantly moving the camera to track the waves. I went back to have another listen just now, and most of what the camera was picking up was the his of small foreground waves that don't sound very good at all. Next time I'm filming waves I'll use my directional shotgun microphone to record the audio and try to single out the distant crash of the bigger surf. Now, the good news is that I was recently contacted by a musician who would like me to use his original piano compositions in my videos, so in the future I'll be using much less distracting background music. I am also working on putting together my own music, but that's a much more long term goal!

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:27 am 
Yeah I could see how it would be difficult to capture the sound the way you want it, and then there are the slo mo parts.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 pm 
Since I had the good fortune to live for two years at Waikiki Beach, I jumped to your post. But I lived at Honolulu's Waikiki! I smiled to see that yours was our Washington Waikiki! Tricked me ! biggrin.gif Great video, and I didn't even mind the background music. smile.gif At first the waves are textbook spilling breakers but later we see waves "attempting" to be plunging breakers, even with a few mini-curls. After about 2:30 in the video we see several good examples of constructive interference, where the reflected outgoing wave crest meets the incoming crest and the heights of the two are added, forming a brief tall oversteepened peak. Cool stuff for oceanography students or anyone who is fascinated by waves. Indeed, Cape Disappointment is one of the Northwest's real treasures. No wonder it is one of the most popular state parks, rivaled I hear only by Deception Pass and Spokane Falls (the latter being essentially a city park).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 8:31 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
Foist wrote:
do you have a version where we can hear the sounds of the waves instead of the cheesy electronic music?
You're not the first to dislike the music! Personally I thought it matched the video really well...
Well, for one, I liked it. And yes, it went well with the video.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
swbkrun

swbkrun
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 pm 
Very well done!

2.4 Miles of Hope, 112 of Work, and 26.2 Miles of Truth www.averymckenna.smugmug.com
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 1:12 am 
Thanks everyone!