Forum Index > Trail Talk > End Discover Pass, impose mandatory license-plate fee
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Dec 31, 2017 1:46 pm 
Quote:
A team tasked with studying recreation fees is recommending that lawmakers decide on a broader source of money for state lands and get rid of user passes, such as the Discover Pass.
Quote:
The group figured that a registration fee could land somewhere between $7 and $15, but noted that further cost analysis would be needed.
Article in the Herald

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 1:20 pm 
How about we ask wildly profitably companies like Amazon, Microsoft, and Google to pay something more than $0 in state and local taxes? Then we might be able to afford to properly fund our public schools, provide free access to public land again, and fix our rapidly deteriorating transit issues...

If not now, when?
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 1:32 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
How about we ask wildly profitably companies like Amazon, Microsoft, and Google to pay something more than $0 in state and local taxes? Then we might be able to afford to properly fund our public schools, provide free access to public land again, and fix our rapidly deteriorating transit issues...
This right here. We shouldn't have to buy permits and passes to access public land.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 2:05 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
The Onion: Reaganomics Finally Trickles Down To Area Man

Stefan

Stefan
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 6:45 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Or...we could not tax any corporations, and let the money go to the employees...and then let the employees...aka users....vote with their dollar to see if they want to support parks. But I live in a dreamland.

Art is an adventure.
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 7:30 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
A quick google search shows that those companies you listed by a slighter higher tax to WA then $0. Tens of millions higher in fact. Not to mention the sales tax WA collects from them too. But don't let facts stop anybody from having a fit of indignant outrage. I see full sized transit buses driving around all day long in Lacey and Olympia with maybe 2 passengers on board at most. How come nobody complains about that waste of money? It would be cheaper to hire limousines to take those 2 people where they need to go. Or the flying Amtrak train with 12 passenger cars and only 77 people on it, half of whom were Amtrak and DOT VIPs and trainees? That only cost $180 million for a few dozen people a day to ride it. This state is drowning in money but it prefers to spend it non-sense. Oh here's a good one: The city of Seattle just paid $100,000 to a man that a FORMER mayor abused before he was even the mayor. An incident that had nothing to do with the city! How come all the big outdoor-lovers aren't outraged that the city didn't use that money to build the Burke-Gilman Trail missing link section?

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 7:35 pm 
On second though, I retract the above post in its entirety. I currently pay $35/year for a Discover pass. $7-15 car tab means that tens of thousands of poor people who have no intention of ever going to a state park will now subsidized my recreation! I thank the impoverished people of Washington, especially single mothers and elderly widows for skipping a few meals to make my trip to Beacon Rock cheaper!

christensent

christensent
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 8:10 pm 
I wonder what percentage of people own a discover pass. $7-15 seems like they'd be making way more money. If I had to guess, it'd be that a small single-digit percentage of people own a discover pass.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
contour5

contour5
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 11:13 pm 
The new mandatory fee will end up in the $27 range, and then after a couple years we'll be required to purchase a "Re-Discover Pass" , followed by a "Conquest Pass" and then a "Despoilation Pass". All while the new mandatory fee increases year by year.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 am 
We have zillions of tax dollars to give cut rate deals to wildly profitable corporations https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/boeings-historic-tax-break-from-state-even-bigger-than-thought/ https://jeffreifman.com/2016/05/05/forget-boeing-microsofts-tax-break-costs-776-million/ https://www.cnbc.com/2017/10/19/amazon-offered-billions-in-tax-breaks-for-second-us-headquarters.html And the legislature is all too happy to saddle the public with debt to buy sports stadiums https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/safeco-field-taxes-in-with-a-bang-out-with-a-whimper/ But -- making John Q Public pay a fee to access public lands -- well of course -- why should an ordinary citizen get a free ride?. "We have the finest government that money can buy"

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 12:59 am 
Prediction: They'll eliminate the Discover pass and go with the car tab fee. Then in a year or two they'll say there's still not enough money and reinstate the Discover pass AND keep the car tab fee too. edit: contour beat me to it lol

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 1:42 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
ditto.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 7:58 am 
Threads re fees vs. taxation to fund public lands are important but they belong in Stewardship, lest they will eventually be locked

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 am 
Stefan wrote:
Or...we could not tax any corporations, and let the money go to the employees...
embarassedlaugh.gif And we should give the stork a tax break when he delivers babies, too! dizzy.gif

brineal
Snarky Master

brineal
Snarky Master
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 4:17 pm 
Ultimately I feel as a taxpayer that I've already made my financial contribution to public lands. That being said, the $30 is really not a huge deal given the amount of recreation I do per year. I do have a big issue with them requiring it in your vehicle - Rangers / DNR etc. - you should be able to look that up in a database at any time. And the fact that they will not replace lost or stolen passes is ridiculous. Again, they should be able to easily verify you've paid and each is associated with a license plate sooo.....