Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > How to get into ONP ~~~ Mission Nearly Impossible.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 12:52 pm 
Whiskey Bend

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 1:02 pm 
Sir-Hikes-A-Lot has a nice TR you might be interested in. Rumi <~~~~~hikes as often as he can

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 8:33 am 
The Hoh road was open to the visitor/parking on 12/30/17. Lots of people were out and about. It was lovely out there. Mother nature has her ways of destroying access...isn't too bad some big machiney and cranes aren't taken out more often too? Let's all put our walking legs on for as long as we can...I for one like going where the thousands of easy access seekers are not! What can I say.. I want the little remaining wilderness to remain wild...

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:14 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Sol Duc road is gated and closed for the winter.
I have never been up the road in the winter. Where is the road gated and closed on the Sol Duc road?

Art is an adventure.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 10:56 am 
Sallie4jo wrote:
The Hoh road was open to the visitor/parking on 12/30/17.
I would note that one reason the Hoh Rd was open so soon was because the washout actuall outside ONP. Jefferson County took care of the repair because there are residences up the Hoh Rd as well as ONP.
Sallie4jo wrote:
Let's all put our walking legs on for as long as we can...I for one like going where the thousands of easy access seekers are not!
I would tell you then that there are plenty of places to go where easy access seekers are not. As a matter of fact, there are way more places to go where easy access seekers don't go in ONP than places that they do go. ONP is a national park and is thus different than say Glacier Peak Wilderness area. There is something for almost everyone at ONP, and that's the way it ought to be. There are a tiny bit paved trails up on Hurricane Ridge. There are dayhike oportunities. There are family friendly short backpacking locations like Humes Ranch, Five Mile Island, and Boulder Creek. There are car camping campgrounds. There are relatively easy loops and thru trails for others. There are some more challenging trails. And then there is an overwhelming vastness of wilderness available where it is likely you will not see other people. That is the vast majority of ONP, a place where you won't see other people, especially the easy access seekers. So nothing is stopping you from putting your walking legs on and going where the easy access seekers are not. We don't need to make access to ONP more difficult to weed out easy access seekers. That is elitism. Our national parks are for everyone, even the easy access seekers.
Sallie4jo wrote:
What can I say.. I want the little remaining wilderness to remain wild...
And fixing access to ONP will not change that. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Stumblefoot
Stumblefoot

Stumblefoot
Stumblefoot
PostSat Jan 13, 2018 9:34 am 
Well said RumiDude, well said. Also...
Sallie4jo wrote:
Mother nature has her ways of destroying access...isn't too bad some big machiney and cranes aren't taken out more often too?
Wow. It almost sounds like you want mother nature to destroy some big machinery, so it cant restore access to your precious wilderness. What about the men and women who run those machines? They're regular people, just trying to put food on the table, put kids through college, etc... You want them taken out too?
Sallie4jo wrote:
What can I say.. I want the little remaining wilderness to remain wild...
According to your profile, you live in Seattle, the largest man-made clear-cut this side of the Mississippi... Rather than driving over here to the wilderness and b*tching about all the people (most of whom were probably coming from the same concrete jungle as you), why don't you maybe just stay home and plant a tree.

RodF

RodF
PostThu Jan 18, 2018 3:15 am 
Stefan wrote:
Where is the road gated and closed on the Sol Duc road?
At the entrance gate and kiosk, only 1/4 mile from Hwy. 101. Parking is available.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva