Forum Index > Gear Talk > conduction with blizzard bag in rain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Euler

Euler
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 4:30 am 
Am getting a tarp. The burritobility interests me more and more. Lots of youtube videos.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Sep 21, 2017 7:36 am 
Euler wrote:
Am getting a tarp. The burritobility interests me more and more. Lots of youtube videos.
Warbonnet Outdoors sells reasonably priced silnylon tarps and tarp skins. I have gotten a lot of stuff from them over the years and like the quality and service.

WaState

WaState
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 4:35 pm 
As mentioned before a light tarp of some kind is really nice as well some sort of bivy bag and ground insulation. Closed cell foam pads are my favorite due to less weight. The only chance to come out well of an unexpected overnight without much carrying of gear weight is a good size fire, if raining a fire with tarp. So i suggest to always carry fire starter and a light saw. Be sure to practice fire starting in simular area and situation of possible need. You need about 10 large armloads of wood for a night. It is best to make camp a hour before dark-to find wood and shelter. With a good fire a night out can be fairly pleasent. The lightest saw i found is a new high quality pruning saw blade with electric tape for a handle. I stick the saw inside the layers of my backpack back suspension, no sheath needed , 10 inch saw for around 3oz. Fire starter will give you something to do during the long cold night rather than lay/sit and shake, if you get a nice fire going that is self feeding it actually can be pleasent. How do you think the people camped out in the old days?? smile.gif Be careful of making and crawing into a cold wet snowcave for survival, often it becomes a coffin, i would much rather have a fire if given a option. Making a snowcave makes you wet and it is not that warm. It can be warmer and more sheltered than the outside BUT it is not that warm and it can be wet and unless you have the gear , like heavy clothing, a bivy, and or a sleeping bag it is not that great. It can be really bad. By the way i have spent three unexpected nights out, during summer moutaineering. No rain , but in the mountains so cool enough , below snow line. One time in a bivy sack with clothes, laying on pack , still shaking cold. One time nothing but light clothes, so no laying down , only sitting up and moving around. One time down lower in the thicker trees with a long fire between two guys, I had a pad , clothes and fire, but no bivy, no rain and no tarp, the night was fairly pleasent with the fire , otherwise it would have been miserable. On average a night out in the summer if not too high up is miserable but one will get out of it just fine and in good shape with very little gear. Think of this and endure and you will be fine by morning. Up high or in winter time is more serious, so need more thought of extra gear. Note, be careful of shoulder seasons of spring to summer or more important summer to fall. One day can be like summer, the next day like winter, watch the weather forecast and carry extra gear. The reality of survival for a weekend outing is looking at weather forecast. If no chance of rain then you can risk carrying a goose down puffy , a bivy sack , fire making gear and maybe ditch the tarp. When climbing being light is as important, so I use weather forecasting. The big mountains up high make their own weather , other than this I use forecasting for gear selection. If the weather has some odds of being bad i adjust as needed. Dan

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 8:21 pm 
InFlight wrote:
I day hike with trekking poles and a camera tripod. I could probably come up with some really creative tarp pitches!
Remember the scene in Dersu Uzala? Dersu and Arseniev survive a Siberian winter wind storm in a frozen reed marsh. The inside of their structure was their transit tripod. The outside sheathing was reeds. Can you fit inside your tripod? Why not a custom tarp to fit it?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
WaState

WaState
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:26 am 
For the heck of it. For summer mountaineering I likely carry for survival a SOL breathable bivy sack 8oz, fire starter and saw 5oz. A very light gossieme gear pad, 6.5oz, i usually have a wind shirt so i use a rain O2 jacket size medium, big enough to go over a puffy, 6.5 oz. I am working on replacing the rain jacket with a light poncho, shooting for 6.5oz small poncho including guylines. The poncho can be a very small shelter as well rain protection. This is for good weather prediction, like no more than 20% to 30% chance rain, better to have zero chance rain. I normally camp with a tarp and use the SOL bivy there. My sleep system for good weather is a goose down puffy and very light goose down bag, (feathered friends Vireo sized large) either one or both i may carry up higher depending on situation. The fire starter is the only thing I truly carry extra that I seldom use, the higher one goes the less likely it to be usefull, i may ditch it the higher the climb for other gear. I am flexable with gear selection depending on weather prediction and how high i go. The more chance of rain i bring a snythetic puffy and better rain gear and tarp protection For instance for my last winter day trip i brought a brooks range alpini 4 man bothy bag with fire starter for two guys, hopefullly just enough to get through a miserible night and get going the next day. Tarp camping is light and has advantage of having a bivy sack handy for going up higher. The breathable SOL bivy sacks are good and light, only tend to run small, one can use a sleeping bag inside them. I prefer the pro version.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 1:45 pm 
Pyrites wrote:
Remember the scene in Dersu Uzala?
Yes. Great movie! For those that happen to know (and like) that movie, I'd highly recommend John Vaillant's book "The Tiger", which deals with the survival (or lack thereof) of Amur tigers in Russia's far east Primorsky Krai region. It loops in the history of Dersu Uzala and Vladimir Arsenyev.

Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 am 
Euler wrote:
As somebody who has spent weeks sleeping under pine bough shelters and such,I highly recommend that you test the system you choose.Take the system out in the wet woods or maybe clear cut and spend the night as you envision.Understanding what the night will be like through practical, controlled, experience is huge.A miserable night in the woods is a miserable night in the woods.Good luck A tarp and a big LONG fire. Edit: burritobility My mind is now going to spend all day trying to use this new word.