Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Apocalypse, Oregon pumps own gas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 11:51 am 
New law went into effect down south chaos ensues only safe state is New Jersey now, you got a problem with that?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 12:55 pm 
I was at Love's in Morrow county on Monday and it was interesting. People were sitting in their cars unaware of the new law, the sole attendant was running around telling people they had to request his help or pump their own. I knew about it already and was full and gone in pretty much record time for an Oregon fill up. Didn't have to wait for a fuel transfer professional to wander over to start my fill, didn't have to wait for the same to end it, and didn't have to battle over topping it off. Love it. Some measure of fuel sanity has reached the hinterlands...defined by the law as counties with less than 40k population.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 1:06 pm 
Saw this on Huffpo, pretty funny Internet Trolls Oregonians After Self-Serve Gas Law Takes Effect
Quote:
Apparently there’s an entire state of people in America who are incapable of filling their own car with petrol.
There's two of course if we include NJ

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
pcg

pcg
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 pm 
I've lived in states where you pump your own gas so I have experienced both environs. I much prefer to sit in my dry warm car and let someone else stand in the rain and breathe gas fumes. What's not to like? And don't tell me I can always go to a full service station if I really want to. Ever try to find one in a self-serve state? Oh, and this has been put to the vote twice (for statewide self serve) and both times we voted it down for obvious reasons. See above.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 6:53 pm 
I had to get over the fear of letting Strangers pump my gas when I moved to Oregon. Definitely a tough transition and had to figure out the work flow when I drove into the station. I have adapted. In cold weather I just crack the passenger window and slide the credit card out. I always ask for receipt so I know they have completed my transaction. Pretty painless once I got use to it. But you learn certain things...... Buying gas at Costco or Fred Meyers will take on helluva long time. Avoid the gas station near my house that hires the heavily drugged tweakers. Even engaging in conversation with them is scary. I was there one time when one "trained professional" just decided he had had it and wandered off, leaving a station full of cars and no attendant. I got out and closed my gas flap and drove away as the station manager was running after that guy yelling " you can't just leave now....". Never heard the rest of that conversation, but likely it didn't go well. Note for pumping your own gas.... They still have the old type nozzles without the accordion shield, so its actually pretty easy to spill it on yourself and definitely a lot more fumes are wafting up. Note this is only for COUNTIES with less than 40k people. Even Bend is exempt. This actually covers very few stations, and they are so far out in the sticks that they don't even have credit card readers at the pump. "First world problem" to quote several on this forum, freaking over having Strangers pump your gas for you.

friluftsliv
Chico

Chico
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 6:57 pm 
Drove into Oregon once and had to fill up. Pumped my own. There was an attendant there and he came over to ask if I needed help and I told him I was okay. He walked away. I was not aware of their silly law at the time.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 7:29 pm 
I'm still trying to figure out how to use my smartphone. Maybe it's because I grew up in Oregon, where we had people do that for us. I had an Oregonian put this post on here, just like all of them.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 9:48 pm 
Some are afraid that allowing the horror of self service in the outlands is a stalking horse and slippery slope to allowing fuel pumping choices in PDX somewhere down the road. Could be, but I doubt it would happen under Ms Brown. In fact, I'm surprised she signed the bill. Good for her.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:34 pm 
Chico wrote:
Drove into Oregon once and had to fill up. Pumped my own. There was an attendant there and he came over to ask if I needed help and I told him I was okay. He walked away. I was not aware of their silly law at the time.
I've done that. Now I don't have to stop in Vancouver at exit 7 to top off before going to visit family. lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
day_hike_mike

day_hike_mike
PostWed Jan 03, 2018 10:58 pm 
Something I'm familiar with as I have to go down and deal with a station in Oregon as a general manager. A bit of a rant from me on Oregon wacky government. I'd gladly go to customer pumping in a heartbeat. Tips. If your vehicle takes anything other than plain old unleaded, make sure that pumper is putting the right stuff in it. Every month we get someone unhappy because they got unleaded in a diesel, the most fun as those incidents can be spendy on our part and occasionally turn into lawsuits. Sometimes it's just the customer didn't get the premium they wanted. Yeah, we pay to fix, but who needs the hassle of waiting to get that done. It's 50% your own fault if you didn't verify in my opinion. Miscommunication happens. Also, if sliding your credit card through the window and only planning on getting $20 or so worth of gas, best make sure it stops at $20 yourself. This doesn't always happen when there's one pumper running around filling 5 cars and he doesn't have time to dedicate to watching your pump. Most outside card readers are programmed to just authorize up to $99 or some such amount. At my site, pumps can be set to stop at a set amount from inside the store, but the customer has to go in to do it. Oh the joy of hearing people complain about having to get out of their car to do that. Sure, the whole thing creates jobs, but the lowest tier jobs. I suppose it's good for the tweakers, junkies, and stoners. There's got to be something better though! Turnover sucks as it's not too long before one of the trio just mentioned does one of the above things and gets fired. Or the employee realizes it sucks to stand out there all shift long in the 100 degree heat or in the sideways blowing rain and quits. But of course all stations are pretty much in the same boat so the employee can go on to the next station where they hire anyone willing to do the job. There's nothing in Washington stopping any station from following the Oregon model. Why don't they? Probably the above reasons and more. Pumping gas for my own vehicle is 5 minutes of my time once a week. I just assume do it myself. Never had a problem with it. Never even looked for a full service station. In fact, I'd avoid it. I get the convenience, but it isn't worth the hassle for me, feeling like I have to babysit someone pumping gas in my vehicle. Did they get the right gas, did I get my card back, did they scratch my car, gas cap back on? My car's full, where's the pumper? Restroom, what the heck, now I wait for him. My brain's exploding with the lunacy! Don't mean to sound to negative on the people who do the job. Don't want to be that guy. But I really would like to see them do something better. Oregon politicians and voters can do better, end the stupid law. Stations that want to keep the current system in place could still do it. But I bet it wouldn't be long and it'd be a lot like Washington. Rant over. Damn, I need to go on a hike. Cooped up too long!

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 12:15 am 
Use Roseburg Costco. No fuss. Works north or southbound.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 7:00 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
fuel transfer professional
Ha ha! That’s like calling the patient transporter at the hospital a “Transportologist.”

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 9:15 am 
boot up wrote:
I have adapted. In cold weather I just crack the passenger window and slide the credit card out.
"Cold weather"? lol.gif I left Oregon in 1970, eventually settled in North Dakota (where the only thing between us and the North Pole is...more flat prairie) and have been pumping my own fuel since then. Yeah, it's cold doing my own fueling when it's -30F and the wind's blowing, but the car doesn't get scratched by the guy who's either hurried, or not attentive to what he's doing, and lets the cap just drop and dangle. Further, it readies me for my occasional excursions into the Cascade alpine zones. wink.gif However, I did notice that at the big name stations in Eugene (Shell on the Northwest Expressway for example), the guys did seem to take care and not allow that to happen. Personally, I think that this will boost the state's fuel sales as now I don't *have* to stop in Vancouver to fuel up on the way south once or twice a year!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 9:22 am 
You're still not going to be allowed to pump your own gas anywhere along the I-5 corridor. The law only applies to counties with less than 40k population - 15 counties in eastern Oregon.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 11:33 am 
moonspots wrote:
left Oregon in 1970, eventually settled in North Dakota (where the only thing between us and the North Pole is...more flat prairie) and have been pumping my own fuel since then. Yeah, it's cold doing my own fueling when it's -30F
Sorry you moved to such a god forsaken place, but that was your choice. -30 is a toasty winter day in the Dakotas. You seemed to not read my post further than required to get some bragging rights and put-down material. I would prefer to fuel my own car, but instead of just whining and getting irritated about it, I have adapted. Standing out in our toasty 19 degreeF temps is not an issue for me. I spend hours at those temps and less tromping around in the snow for recreation. Chilling off the car interior with the window all the way down, with power windows and the key off is just not necessary or pleasant, and turning on the key while filling can mess up the "miles left on tank" reading in a Subie. I stick with Chevron stations, and even narrowed it down further to avoid the worst Tweaker employers. I keep an eye on them as they fill up, and make sure to carefully enunciate what kind of gas I want, ask for a "fill up" only, I am happy they don't overfill. When topping of at the stations I go to, they generally ask if that seemed like about the right amount when its only a few gallons. But rolling into town as a stranger is a bit of a crap shoot. Being cordial to the attendants does wonders for lessening the chance of them forgetting you when the pump clicks off. Definitely irritating when that happens. Does not work with a space cadet or tweaker though. Car scratches from gas stations are nothing compared to the problem of door dings in Oregon. Must be a passive aggressive "thing" here, especially from jacked-up, oversized pickups, no matter how much space you give them. That is a whole other thread.... And I repeat, again, this new rule applies to such a few remote stations that most people will never benefit by the change. Right now it only adds more chaos. Almost as inane as Oregon's home garbage/recycling policies which is much more of a rant for me. Would I rather pump my own gas?....most definitely. Is it enough to get worked up over....meh. Might as well enjoy staying warm in my car. I would advise checking your gas cap if you end up at a tweaker station. And get a receipt to make sure they have completed the transaction and not left the pump going on your card. First world problem that seems to freak out people enough that they feel they have to pay for more expensive gas in WA when traveling through OR.

friluftsliv