Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Largest lease Areas ever opened to drilling offshore
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 6:07 pm 
Quote:
U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ryan Zinke today announced the next step for responsibly developing the National Outer Continental Shelf Oil and Gas Leasing Program (National OCS Program) for 2019-2024, which proposes to make over 90 percent of the total OCS acreage and more than 98 percent of undiscovered, technically recoverable oil and gas resources in federal offshore areas available to consider for future exploration and development. By comparison, the current program puts 94 percent of the OCS off limits. In addition, the program proposes the largest number of lease sales in U.S. history. “Responsibly developing our energy resources on the Outer Continental Shelf in a safe and well-regulated way is important to our economy and energy security, and it provides billions of dollars to fund the conservation of our coastlines, public lands and parks,” said Secretary Zinke. “Today's announcement lays out the options that are on the table and starts a lengthy and robust public comment period. Just like with mining, not all areas are appropriate for offshore drilling, and we will take that into consideration in the coming weeks. The important thing is we strike the right balance to protect our coasts and people while still powering America and achieving American Energy Dominance"
The reversal of O's lockouts and then some Let's get the exploration done, then we can discuss what to do next on a solid basis of understanding where the deposits are and are not.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 6:36 pm 
Article from the other side, I remember it from COP23 some samples
Quote:
"However incompetent the Administration may be in other realms, it has proven itself remarkably adept in this one." "What’s key about all these moves is that they will lead to more investment in fossil-fuel infrastructure. Once a new offshore oil platform or natural-gas well is completed, it’s likely to live out its useful life. (Call it establishing facts in the ground.) At events like COP23, this is known as “lock in”; the more fossil-fuel infrastructure that gets built, the more carbon emissions get “locked in.” Whatever happens (or doesn’t) this week in Bonn, the Trump Administration and its cronies in the fossil-fuel industry—the two groups are, admittedly, often interchangeable—are making it that much harder to curtail emissions." "One of the agency’s key findings is that global energy demand will continue to rise through 2040. Another is that, owing to technological advances like fracking, the United States is poised to become a major exporter of fossil fuels. “ By the mid-2020s, the United States [will] become the world’s largest liquefied natural gas exporter and a few years later a net exporter of oil,” the agency predicts."
New Yorker

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:05 am 
Environmental Lawyer Employment Act of 2018

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 11:08 am 
Doppelganger wrote:
I'm amazed at the level of irresponsibility, greed and disregard being shown by our "elected" officials. Yet sadly I have come to expect it to an extent. I helped out with the 85 oil spill (just a regular person on foot, looking for mammals). Supporting these policies means supporting future recurrences. You are complicit.
I *intend* to be complicit. I want and use hydrocarbons in all kinds of forms, and support more production. There are *zero* productive activities which do not carry risks and damages with them.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 12:54 pm 
I cannot understand why some folks resist, and are even proud of it, to never be open to change for the better. If the world were left to some folks we would be...like some radical religious groups...backwards and against education or progress. No school for women, no medicines, no progress or development of new technology, make war against other backwards tribes...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 1:04 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I cannot understand why some folks resist, and are even proud of it, to never be open to change for the better. If the world were left to some folks we would be...like some radical religious groups...backwards and against education or progress. No school for women, no medicines, no progress or development of new technology, make war against other backwards tribes...
You can't understand why people resist what they don't agree is 'better'? It's an evasion, in essence, to attempt to conflate so many examples with disagreement over oil usage or production. Basically a smear used to *imply* opposition to your examples... where no opposition is actually shown. It is *not* better to impose 'change' for what is not necessary. The resistance is not to 'change' or 'better', it is to the methods applied..instead of offering better and taking no thank you for an answer, the method is to impose 'better' and act as if subjective judgments are somehow empirically better

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 1:07 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
You're being just as stupid as you are expected to be.
I like to quote these kinds of things so they cannot be changed later, I don't need such methods but it demonstrates who does.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 3:58 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
It is *not* better to impose 'change' for what is not necessary. The resistance is not to 'change' or 'better', it is to the methods applied.
I may not have the command of the English language that you may have, but I read this as you feel it is better to continue seeking more petroleum and gas reserves rather than spend money and resources to look for alternative energy sources. Am I correct? If not, my apologies.

Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 7:29 am 
Schenk wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
It is *not* better to impose 'change' for what is not necessary. The resistance is not to 'change' or 'better', it is to the methods applied.
I may not have the command of the English language that you may have, but I read this as you feel it is better to continue seeking more petroleum and gas reserves rather than spend money and resources to look for alternative energy sources. Am I correct? If not, my apologies.
This is something I do not understand.Who is supposed to spend money on "alternative energy sources"?I am guessing the government is what you mean?If so that means me and you.And at the same time, you want me and you to pay way more at the pump.It does not add up. Alternative energy is not going to come from our government it is going to come from energy companies that have the money for research and development and stand to get rich when they develop it.The world currently uses petroleum for everything.The more petroleum they sell for a profit the more money they have for R@d.Now it is time for me to go give an oil company some money driving to work so I can pay my taxes and go beat my wife.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 11:25 am 
Gregory wrote:
This is something I do not understand.Who is supposed to spend money on "alternative energy sources"?I am guessing the government is what you mean?If so that means me and you.And at the same time, you want me and you to pay way more at the pump.It does not add up.
You are reading far more into my question than was intended. I am not trying to identify who pays for either. Neither comes cheap anyway I am not making a statement for, nor against, raising prices at the pump in that question. All I am asking is what in MtnGoat's opinion is more important; further gas and oil development, or developing alternate methods of energy production.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 4:19 pm 
Both...using private capital and no subsidies or tax breaks. I'm not against using petrochemicals, or renewables, finding more oil, or making better solar panels. I'm just opposed to interfering in the market for either one, and thus distorting the incentives and clear reckoning of the actual market costs.