Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Apocalypse, Oregon pumps own gas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 12:47 pm 
Because Oregonian's never drive out of state....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 7:12 pm 
I don't know about that, but I do know I'm asked a couple times a year for help on how to run the pumps at the Bridgemart in Bingen, right next to the bridge from OR.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:57 am 
Sometimes being old has its advantages. I remember when self-serve gas started in the 1970s in Washington (I was living in Moses Lake at the time). I also remember driving off without my gas cap a couple of times! I also remember taking a trip with the kids to Wyoming and Colorado in the 1980s and remarking (in LaGrande on the way home) that Oregon seemed to be the only state assuming that drivers were incompetent to drive over 55 mph on the interstate or to pump their own gas! Then I moved to Oregon in 1989 and have had to put up with waiting for dilatory attendants and never having a clean windshield. Since much of my long-distance driving these days is to Seattle and back, I prefer to fill up in Centralia or Chehalis (where I have to make a bathroom stop anyway) for those trips rather than getting gas at home. Oregon gas may be a little cheaper (although I haven't checked since our gas tax went up Jan. 1), but I prefer filling up myself. It's worth it to be able to clean my windows properly! Just be thankful we don't live in California with their astronomical gas prices! Prices in Sonoma (where I spent Christmas) are almost a dollar a gallon more than here.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 2:57 pm 
Gas is really cheap in Oklahoma, course you have to be in OK.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 3:14 pm 
Graphic of where self service is now legal.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 3:31 pm 
More fun at Oregon's expense

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 4:39 pm 
On a first fill up on any trip to Oregon, I never remember gas is not self serve. I always hop out to fill up. When the attendant frantically runs over to help me, I always say "oh, I forgot". Now, those green areas will merely reinforce my forgetfulness. In the red areas, the above scenario will simply repeat itself.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 5:54 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Now, those green areas will merely reinforce my forgetfulness. In the red areas, the above scenario will simply repeat itself.
Even more confusing will be that within the green area, many of the stations will decide not to go with the self serve option due to antiquated pumps. Leave it to Oregon to over complicate something that should be simple. I love living here, but they sure make easy stuff difficult. I think maybe 5 people in the state actually do the recycling "correctly", all the rest of us attempt to figure it out but usually give up.

friluftsliv
Chico

Chico
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:19 pm 
Schroder wrote:
You're still not going to be allowed to pump your own gas anywhere along the I-5 corridor.
I'd still do it. If the place is at all busy I can be out and pumping before an attendant is able to come over.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:26 pm 
boot up wrote:
You seemed to not read my post further than required to get some bragging rights and put-down material.
Ok, I read your post, and no I wasn't trying for "bragging rights". Just carrying on the conversation with a grin on my face, maybe like we were sitting around a fire having a beer. Sorry you took it wrong, or I said it wrong, or whatever. Anyhow, carry on....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:27 pm 
Chico wrote:
Schroder wrote:
You're still not going to be allowed to pump your own gas anywhere along the I-5 corridor.
I'd still do it. If the place is at all busy I can be out and pumping before an attendant is able to come over.
I've done that, completely forgot "the rule" until I was finished and heading down the street.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 2:59 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Graphic of where self service is now legal.
I'm surprised that Clatsop, Tillamook, and Hood River Counties don't have 40k people.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 3:24 pm 
Hood River county is pretty small, it only encompasses the Hood river watershed and town isn't as big as it seems

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 6:54 pm 
I’ve always found it incredibly ridiculous that the state forces people to wait to be served for something anyone competent to drive could easily do for themselves. The mandatory full service is so outside the realm of rationality that it shouldn’t even be up to the democratic process to impose it. In my ever so humble opinion.

pcg

pcg
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 7:45 pm 
alpendave wrote:
I’ve always found it incredibly ridiculous that the state forces people to wait to be served for something anyone competent to drive could easily do for themselves. The mandatory full service is so outside the realm of rationality that it shouldn’t even be up to the democratic process to impose it. In my ever so humble opinion.
Again... the state does this because it is the will of the people. The citizens of Oregon have TWICE voted down self serve. This time the state is allowing self serve without putting it to a vote.