Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 12:04 am 
I was mildly curious about "Take Care" for a while, but seems it will never be released to DVD. I finally watched it via Netflix streaming today. Starts off slow but I ended up really enjoying it. Billed as a comedy, more of a drama w/ some funny bits. I thought Leslie Bibb was really good in it. She plays a woman who has been struck by a car and is recovering from a broken leg and arm. Friends and family are kinda spotty on helping take care of her in her apartment, so she strong arms her ex-boyfriend that she took care of for 2 years while he was battling cancer to help her out. The ex BF's current girlfriend isn't too keen on the idea.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Dec 28, 2017 1:36 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
down.gif on the Last Jedi; How wrong can you get Luke Skywalker, amongst all sorts of other plot holes and missed opportunities for cool plot twists. The Force Awakens was a Star Wars copy and in this one, the director just seemed to not understand the Star Wars Universe and the characters (particularly Luke) that inhabit it.
I think they not only understand it, they are actively engaged in undermining it and pushing political narratives at the price of inconsistencies.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostFri Dec 29, 2017 1:43 pm 
We saw Downsizing and The Shape of Water recently. Both were really good, the latter in particular*, with classic SciFi themes: if xyz idea were to happen what would be the ramifications...? Interesting and quirky; I enjoyed both. up.gif * Actually, I found The Shape of Water quite a bit better, although Downsizing is the more thought provoking one, SciFi-wise.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 9:59 pm 
Not a real recent film (2007), I'd never even heard of it til it just popped up on my radar. "Fugitive Pieces." Really well crafted film w/ great performances across the board. Not the easiest film to watch, had to the with the Holocaust during WWII. Character/story driven film, slow paced. Haunting, sad but beautiful. I knew several of the actors/actresses in the film, some others I wasn't familiar with. Even characters that were on screen only briefly made an impression. Among others Stephen Dillane, Rade Serbedzija, Nina Dobrev, Rosamund Pike and Ayelet Zurer.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 11:37 pm 
Finally saw "Atomic Blonde." As advertised the fight scenes were brutal, kinetic and visceral. Fairly tense and well acted, twisty espionage thriller. Also watched "The Foreigner" w/ Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. I've never seen Chan in a serious role, no humor and no lightheartedness at all. He pulled it off well. Chan's daughter is killed in a bombing in London. He thinks Brosnan's character can help him find out who did it, and he will stop at nothing to bring the bombers to justice. He has extensive military training. It's a bit like Liam Neeson in the Taken series, but not quite so over the top. I thought it was well crafted.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 pm 
GaliWalker wrote:
[size=10]* Actually, I found The Shape of Water quite a bit better,
The Creature From the Black Lagoon 63 years after I first saw him. He has definitely aged well.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 9:16 pm 
Shape of Water up.gif up.gif nice take on the beauty and the beast myth. Great film for a rainy night.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 am 
I watch a number of small budget indies. They are very hit and miss. Sometimes even the well crafted movies the absence of a budget can be distracting, but other times I don't notice. With that in mind I got a movie from Netflix I literally knew nothing about other than a brief synopsis and the cast list. "Hollow in the Land." I thought it was quite well done. It had some similar elements to Jennifer Lawrence's breakout movie "Winter's Bone." Set in a blue collar, rural town. The main character is a young woman searching for a missing family member, encountering resistance at almost every turn from other members of the community harboring a grudge against her family. Although a few people try to help. It's different enough it doesn't feel like a retread, it just has some similarities. The movie was tense and gritty. Also quite somber and maybe a bit depressing. The lead was played by Dianna Agron. I never watched Glee but she was in that. I've seen her in 1 or 2 other movies. I didn't even recognize her at first. Rachelle Lefevre and Shawn Ashmore (Bobby/Iceman from the X-Men movies) were the only other members of the cast I was familiar with, but there were good performances throughout. edited: like seemingly most movies and TV shows these days it was filmed in British Columbia. But it was actually meant to be set in Canada in the film. There was a mention in the credits of a hotel in Castlegar and it also said it was filmed in the Kootenay region. I think I've passed thru Castlegar but I can't remember for sure. I have been in Nelson which is nearby.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Jan 20, 2018 10:47 am 
I saw it in November, but I thought it was worth mentioning that "Justice League" was a pretty enjoyable film. Nothing special - in fact I'd say it was mediocre in comparison with most of Marvel's movies, but it was certainly the best thing DC has made in recent memory. Right now I'm working my way through the 3rd season of Grimm and the 2nd season of Stranger Things. I'm taking it slow with a strict rule of one of each per day, so that I can make them last as long as possible. These are by far the best TV series produced in the last 20 years IMHO - great characters, intriguing stories, at times genuinely terrifying, and great writing that (most of the time) avoids the usual traps modern TV shows tend to fall into. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 12:08 am 
"Ocean's 11" and "Ocean's 13" were very entertaining, "Ocean's 12" not quite up to par. The director is kind of dipping into the same territory again, but instead of Vegas high rollers he's going for some kind of southern fried redneck spoof or something. "Logan Lucky." Great cast, but it falls fairly flat. Can't recommend it. And if you are from the south or know people from the south, it's probably highly insulting.

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 3:28 pm 
Darkest Hour is well done although he reminds me of Archie Bunker

Toni

Toni
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 6:08 pm 
up.gif "Hostiles" down.gif "Phantom Thread" weird, just weird!

There is no Planet B
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 6:26 pm 
Mud bound was excellent and available on Netflix now. up.gif up.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Mud bound was excellent and available on Netflix now. up.gif up.gif
We watched last night, agreed.

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 pm 
Finally saw "Thor Ragnarok." It's playing at the Crest. I'm definitely glad I only paid $4 for it instead of $12 or $15 or whatever. It was as I feared, too goofy and corny for me. Taika Waititi is just not my guy when it comes to directors. I didn't hate it, but I certainly didn't love it. I think Anthony and Joe Russo should direct all of the Marvel movies, they are head and shoulders above everybody else as far as I'm concerned.