Forum Index > Trail Talk > End Discover Pass, impose mandatory license-plate fee
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 11:13 pm 
CC wrote:
Well you clearly do live in dreamland if you think the corps would give those savings to their employees. The inflation-adjusted median wage has actually declined since the 80s despite a large increase in productivity. <!-- function quoteSelected() { insertText('
CC wrote:
' + trimWhiteSpace(getTextSelection()) + '
\r\r'); document.getElementById('quote').scrollIntoView(); } -->
We living the dream, bro http://www.king5.com/article/money/alaska-airlines-giving-workers-1000-bonus-citing-tax-cut/281-505029503 Alaska Airlines giving workers $1,000 bonus, citing tax cut We living the dream, bro edit: woa html gone wild !

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 11:20 pm 
xrp wrote:
You're a complete fool if you don't think that companies like Amazon, Microsoft, etc aren't paying their employees great salaries. Sure, people who work in Amazon's distribution centers don't make $150,000/year, but you can bet the HQ people (Seattle) are averaging $150k/year. Those companies are at the top of the stack of "companies people want to work for", so you can bet they can be picky about selecting the top talent. Top talent means offering top compensation.
You might want to look up the definitions of (statistical) median and inflation adjusted.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 04, 2018 11:33 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
http://www.king5.com/article/money/alaska-airlines-giving-workers-1000-bonus-citing-tax-cut/281-505029503 Alaska Airlines giving workers $1,000 bonus, citing tax cut We living the dream, bro
That's an n of 1. Get back to me if after three years there has been a significant increase in the median wage.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 12:48 am 
CC wrote:
MyFootHurts wrote:
http://www.king5.com/article/money/alaska-airlines-giving-workers-1000-bonus-citing-tax-cut/281-505029503 Alaska Airlines giving workers $1,000 bonus, citing tax cut We living the dream, bro
That's an n of 1. Get back to me if after three years there has been a significant increase in the median wage.
Make that n>101 But like I mentioned earlier don't let facts get in the way of hysterical ideology. http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/over-100-companies-giving-trump-bonuses-after-tax-victory-tsunami-building/article/2644944

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 8:15 am 
xrp wrote:
Kim Brown wrote:
xrp wrote:
WA has about 171,031 lane miles of roads and a 44.5 cent tax per gallon. Contrast that with Kentucky having 165,944 lane miles of roads and only a 27.6 cent tax per gallon.
Kentucky has a state income tax. And some WA gas tax is tossed into NOVA funds, which goes to both motorized and non-motorized trails.
Big deal. WA tax burden per capita is $7000+ (https://www.ofm.wa.gov/washington-data-research/statewide-data/washington-trends/revenue-expenditures-trends/state-local-government-revenues-capita). Kentucky's is around $3,300 (2012 is latest data available here: https://taxfoundation.org/kentuckys-state-and-local-tax-burden/)
Have you ever been to Kentucky? Appalachia? It's poverty on the scale of third world countries. The haves in Kentucky should be paying more taxes so the have nots can have a little hope of medical care and education for their children. Recreation is the last thing on the minds of people not knowing where their next meal is coming from.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 9:19 am 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:08 am 
Just drove the length of Kentucky and came up with a state motto. Kentucky it's prettier than Kansas!

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:43 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Make that n>101 But like I mentioned earlier don't let facts get in the way of hysterical ideology. http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/over-100-companies-giving-trump-bonuses-after-tax-victory-tsunami-building/article/2644944
Corporations are saving billions in taxes by this plan and are passing a token amount to distract people. Working with my tax accountant -- it looks like I'll be paying several thousand dollars more in federal taxes in 2018 under the new law than I would had the law been unchanged. I have a lot of deductions that no longer have as much effect.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Jan 05, 2018 10:46 am 
Does anyone else think something's wrong when we dwell on someone from out of state enjoying one of our state parks without "paying their share"? Likewise I've seen some county parks charging out-of-county residents. I like the old system. No Discover Pass. The State Parks with all the services and campgrounds charge an entry fee as they have always done; the booths are still there and still manned. The undeveloped state land is free to roam. I've tried to find out the cost of administering the Discover Pass system but haven't come up with the numbers. I would bet it's on the order of 40-50% of the total they take in.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Initiative 502 I smell more weed on the trails than I ever have before. Many of the the Tree huggers, Hippies, Hipsters and the rest of ilk enjoy their ganja.
There are a whole lot more than the above who "enjoy their ganja". I personally know of CEO's, lawyers, school teachers, medical doctors, retirees and many others who "enjoy" it, despite the lingering stigma that continues in some minds going all the way back to the days of Reefer Madness and Harry Anslinger (who once famously said "There are 100,000 total marijuana smokers in the U.S., and most are Negroes, Hispanics, Filipinos and entertainers. Their Satanic music, jazz and swing result from marijuana use. This marijuana causes white women to seek sexual relations with Negroes, entertainers and any others.”) Sorry for getting on my soap box, but I couldn't resist!

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 1:54 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Have you ever been to Kentucky? Appalachia? It's poverty on the scale of third world countries.
Yeah, I used to live in Lexington.
Quote:
The haves in Kentucky should be paying more taxes so the have nots can have a little hope of medical care and education for their children. Recreation is the last thing on the minds of people not knowing where their next meal is coming from.
How about pay for your own sh##?

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 1:56 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Working with my tax accountant -- it looks like I'll be paying several thousand dollars more in federal taxes in 2018 under the new law than I would had the law been unchanged. I have a lot of deductions that no longer have as much effect.
That isn’t a big deal at all.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 2:11 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Ouch! It didn't take you long to falsify two arguments...but he goalpost dragged to avoid the first one

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 2:13 pm 
CC wrote:
Please define significant in advance.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 2:22 pm 
xrp wrote:
How about pay for your own sh##?
Why, when you'll have folks arguing you're entitled to have someone else pay for your sh##? It's curious. Back in the day federal lands, state lands, blm lands, access to a vast road network both desert and forest all managed to be funded and maintained without the dizzying array of patchwork fees... and at times with far lower state and federal revenues. Now with record high revenues, worse access and tons of closed roads... There is somehow not enough money The rise of the Uberstate and its 'social' spending has sucked the oxygen out of other budgetary concerns like keeping good access, proper maintenance of facilities, and road networks maintained without getting nicked again for outdoors pursuits