Forum Index > Trip Reports > Glacier Peak in 2 days with a summit bivy - July 29-30, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 12:28 pm 
So, I just have to update this. Too good not to share. When we were up on the summit 6 months ago taking in the sunset, there was a panorama I took that I was super stoked about, but when I got home the photos wouldn't stitch together properly so I gave up on it. Jake was moving between the first and second photos, and the sunburst looked different in the third and fourth photos and it just wouldn't work when I first tried it. I came back to it a couple days ago and after 30+ tries I was finally able to get it stitch properly! I think it's my favorite photo from the trip!
Sunset from the summit of Glacier Peak
Sunset from the summit of Glacier Peak

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 12:36 pm 
Wow!!! Beautiful photo Thanks for sharing.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 1:52 pm 
Fantastic shots! Congrats on your summit stay, it's a great spot for an overnighter. I have a duplicate of the evening shadow of the mountain shot, its so distinctive Did it warm up enough to get running water from the snow bank at the camp site? We lucked into that as a bonus

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
RichP

RichP
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 2:27 pm 
Great photo. up.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 2:53 pm 
Thanks for taking the time and putting in the effort to elegantly capture that very special place.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 3:18 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Did it warm up enough to get running water from the snow bank at the camp site? We lucked into that as a bonus
Not running water, but there was melt water where the summit snow met the bivy area dirt. We weren't expecting that and were quite happy we didn't have to melt snow for water!
Jeff wrote:
When I climbed glacier one of my partners was taking a series of photos so he could stitch them together for a panorama. I ran as fast as I could so I could end up on each summit once it was stitched together.
I've seen photos like this, and they are quite fun! I've never taking one, but have been meaning to. Thanks for the reminder that I gotta do this one of these days!

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 4:20 pm 
Fabulous photos and trip report! We were over in the Pasayten choking on smoke that same week and I never even saw this report until now, thanks for reposting!

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 8:02 pm 
Aaron, this photo captures that beautiful experience much better than my report and pictures ever could. It's hard to believe that was already six months ago - your photo brought it all right back. Thanks for sharing.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 2:43 am 
Great pictures and adventure. I've been to glacier gap but not up to the summit of glacier peak. With all the wildfires messing with my plans I'm thinking of heading to glacier peak instead. I've got some gacier experience and ice axe/crampons but I will be traveling alone so wont be going on any glaciers. My question is, do you think climbing up and over disappointment peak is doable without ropes? You've got me itching to pitch a tent on top. Thanks

none
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 am 
Sure you could, I doubt many would use a rope for Disappointment Peak. I would expect loose class 3/4 climbing and some routefinding.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 am 
Call Darrington Ranger Dist first, to be sure the blasting project on the PCT above the N Fk Sauk trail has been completed. The N Fk Sauk trail is closed at Mackinaw Shelter until tomorrow, Aug 15 for safety purposes on the trail below the project site. But you never know; the project may have been extended due to weather delays or other reasons.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Aug 14, 2018 1:04 pm 
Jake Robinson wrote:
doubt many would use a rope for Disappointment Peak. I would expect loose class 3/4 climbing and some routefinding.
If you are comfortable scrambing on mostly loose rock with occasional exposure, the Disappointment Peak south ridge line is a good alternative to the rockfall on the ascending traverse on the Suiattle Glacier and the crevasses on the Cool Glacier ( which a month ago weren't an issue. I can't speak for now).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:58 pm 
I really hope I get clear air when I bivy atop Glacier for my finisher next month. Nicely done Jake

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com