Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pratt Mountain, Pratt Lake, Olallie Lake - 1/6/18
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 9:46 pm 
First summit of the new year and, uh, well...the views weren't quite as good as they were in awilsondc's report from last week. In fact there were no views. Lots of good exercise though and that's all I was really after in this particular outing. There's still a good bootpack leading most of the way to summit. It got a little filled-in along the last bit of the summit ridge, but me and a few other hikers following behind broke it in again. After getting down from the summit I started to head towards Island Lakes but the snow wasn't compacted and I was post-holing up to my knees at certain points. I didn't bring flotation so I decided to turn around. On the way out I detoured to Pratt and Olallie Lakes, which had broken-in trails that didn't require flotation. The trail is extremely icy and I would HIGHLY recommend microspikes. 14 miles RT, 4,500 ft. elevation gain.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rwkhikes
because it's there

rwkhikes
because it's there
PostTue Feb 06, 2018 5:35 pm 
Planning for Pratt this weekend. Thoughts on cutting south below Olallie lake towards the summit as opposed to the route you chose around the top of the lake?

DadFly

DadFly
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 1:24 pm 
Keep Checking Avalanche danger. https://www.nwac.us/

"May you live in interesting times"
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Feb 07, 2018 6:45 pm 
DadFly wrote:
Keep Checking Avalanche danger.
Speaking of which, it was my understanding that there is an avalanche chute to cross on that upper trail above Ollalie Lake. Maybe J_S_H or Jeff can chime in. I have not been that way. I have gained the ridge directly up above the outlet and proceeded WNW to the summit ridge to Pratt on two separate trips--both times using snowshoes. It was pointed out to me from the lake shore and would be in the area of 4200' near where that marker is for 0.4 miles on the map. Is that an avy chute up there?
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Thanks, ~z On another note, that rock outcropping around 4600' can be a bear to clamber over or down at times--especially with snowshoes. huh.gif

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Feb 08, 2018 8:58 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Speaking of which, it was my understanding that there is an avalanche chute to cross on that upper trail above Ollalie Lake. Maybe J_S_H or Jeff can chime in.
I don't remember any chutes or open slopes that were questionable around Ollalie Lake. The trail heading towards Islands Lakes probably has some trouble spots, though.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 9:48 am 
Thanks! ~z

NorDub

NorDub
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 12:07 pm 
Quote:
The route from the south outlet of Ollalie, up the slope, and to the ridge is how I did it. Works great.
Was that recent? Worth it to bring snowshoes for that stretch from the outlet up to the ridge? Otherwise, it sounds like not worth bring snowshoes for the route along the top of the lake, and I'd rather now haul snowshoes for 1/4 mile from the outlet to the ridge. I do have microspikes that I'll bring of course in case of slick trail conditions. However, if I can reduce some total miles and still avoid flotation, that'd be great up.gif

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostFri Feb 09, 2018 1:07 pm 
Nordub , I was out 2 days ago way up the zigzag trail right across the valley and we sorely regretted not bringing snowshoes. We were postholing deeply at 3,000 ft. The snowshoe weight carried to me is no big deal anyway...its training weight..hahah.

rwkhikes
because it's there

rwkhikes
because it's there
PostSun Feb 11, 2018 6:41 pm 
Was able to make the summit yesterday. Great weather and views. Highly recommend snowshoes. http://www.peakbagger.com/climber/ascent.aspx?aid=928582