Forum Index > Trail Talk > Unsafe behavior: When do you speak up?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 6:10 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I think the answer to that may be found by first asking yourself how you might want someone to say something to you.
With a question (not a sarcastic one). I'd want/prefer somebody to ask me a question that makes me think about it and realize it's a dumb idea. I used to climb with this guy who showed me the basics. Sometimes he'd point something out and ask "what's gonna happen if...?"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 6:15 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Something similar but not exactly the same... Suppose you are driving home from hiking and some lunatic who is speeding and driving erratically nearly runs you off the road...a ways further down the road you see that the vehicle has left the road and is in the ditch. Would you... A. Stop and ask if they need help. B. Just go on your way and let them lie in their own bed. C. Call 911 and go on your way.
Many years ago, I went on a road trip with a buddy. Guy was kind of a jerk. He hit a dog and kept going. I urged him to stop but he freaked out and wouldn't. An hour later, he crashed the car, he tried to pass somebody and hit a patch of ice. The guy he was trying to pass was training to be a firefighter, he stopped, and rendered aid. My jerk of a friend wasn't wearing a seatbelt, so when the car flipped up on its side, on my side, he pinned me to the door which was facing the road. I came to and smelled gasoline and wasn't able to move. I don't really remember what happened next, I remember being outside, there being a lot of stars, and being really cold. The guy that stopped gave me his coat and put me in his car with the heat on until the medics showed up. I'd stop and do whatever I could to help. And then I'd go to the doctor and get some anxiety pills and have a really bad night. I'm tearing up remembering it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 8:59 pm 
I have told people who were getting ready to rap off a cliff that their anchor was sketchy, they checked and thanked me.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 10:53 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I have told people who were getting ready to rap off a cliff that their anchor was sketchy, they checked and thanked me.
Exactly! I would never say or do something to deliberately upset someone. But if something seems wrong or someone looks to be doing something beyond their skill level that could result in severe injury, I see nothing wrong with a friendly non-threatening bit of helpful advice, heads up, or whatever is called for. And by non-threatening I mean not threatening to their ego. If they take offence anyway, that is on them. I have given and received gracious advice and information while out backpacking. It is always appropriate to be kind and gracious. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 11:14 am 
I think you handled this situation perfectly. I'll do the same, esp. when those I'm worried about are younger. A few years ago I was hiking out onto the bluff at Cape Kiwanda in OR. A couple of young boys (6-9 yr) followed my wife and I up a low angle sandy crag, then started running up along the edge of the sand cliff, which would put them 50-70 ft. above the beach. Their parents were down on the beach oblivious. I got the boys attention and told them that the edge could break off and that a number of people had fallen to their deaths in the area. They paused, looked at each other, and casually moved away from the edge. I'd already decided that if they ignored me I'd call down to their parents, repeat my warning, then leave it to them. On an exposed mountain I'd do the same as you since the consequences could be fatal, but on a trail I normally don't presume to give adults advice figuring they'll survive most mistakes and learn a lesson, or that they are capable of dealing with it and my snap judgement of them is wrong.

silence

silence
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:14 pm 
Spring, 2017 we were hiking along the Hoh River trail and came upon a pair of backpackers from Florida (the ranger station was closed so it was only self-registration). We asked where they were headed and they said to the top. We asked a few pertinent questions about their plans to see if they really knew what they were getting themselves into, esp since they were both wearing jeans (with rain and snow in the forecast) and their backpack set-ups were more than questionable (including no visible permits). Did that mean they were headed to Mt Olympus? Yes. Did they know about the avy slopes near Glacier Meadows and probably no ladder in place yet ... did they know they would need crampons, ice axes, etc? No, but they would go as far as they could. Our biggest concern was that one of them was actually carrying a rifle. Anyhow, soon thereafter we came upon a trail crew and talked to the head guy. We told him first off, that we were concerned about the gun because there were reports of a bear frequenting the Olympus Ranger Station camp, and that we were worried that they might shoot it in a moment of panic. Also, told him that they were obviously ill-prepared for their trip and was concerned about that as well. We asked him to call all this in to the Olympic NP WIC. At that time he was reluctant to get involved. We continued on and upon our return he said that he had reconsidered and actually called it in. The park's response was this: first, it's legal to carry a firearm in the NP, just not legal to fire it (What the heck does that mean? After they kill a bear it's a little late to say they weren't allowed to shoot it). Then that their job was not to determine whether a visitor was prepared or not ... it's up the the individual (Seriously? They are willing to put their rangers at risk to rescue someone who is obviously ill-prepared?).

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:33 pm 
I agree with the Rangers, some people will only learn the hard way.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:43 pm 
silence wrote:
The park's response was this: first, it's legal to carry a firearm in the NP, just not legal to fire it (What the heck does that mean? After they kill a bear it's a little late to say they weren't allowed to shoot it). Then that their job was not to determine whether a visitor was prepared or not ... it's up the the individual (Seriously? They are willing to put their rangers at risk to rescue someone who is obviously ill-prepared?).
Just a few observations about this. #1 True that you can carry a firearm but not fire it. Though a few years back a woman shot and killed a deer in Glacier NP because she was afraid of it as it approached. (NO, I am not making this up, it actually happened.) She was not charged with anything. #2 Unfortunately some senior rangers at ONP are seriously jaded. They should have moved on into other work a long time ago. Of course that is just my opinion, but one formed during my time of volunteer service as a backcountry ranger in ONP. I lost a lot of respect for many of the full-time year-round rangers at ONP. YMMV #3 As a volunteer backcountry ranger, I was taught and trained to help "educate" visitors to ONP. That training runs counter to what that trail crew relayed to you. Safety education is one of the topmost priorities for any ranger, whether paid or volunteer. #4 It usually is not the responsibility of trail crews to assist in any of the aforementioned duties of rangers. There can also be somewhat of a contentious relationship between rangers and trail crew. And some of the older trail crew personnel are as jaded as some or the rangers. Having said that, what could the rangers have done? If there were no rangers up valley, by the time anyone got up to this pair, it would have been too late to do anything. Certainly it would not be the trail crew's position to do anything. And a ranger can suggest, but can't prevent anyone from doing something like climbing in blue jeans without crampons or ice axe. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:52 pm 
The Rangers are trained professionals, most of you are not.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:59 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
trained professionals
That term is meaningless, especially as it pertains to any outdoor activity. Rumi

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 1:05 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
trained professionals
That term is meaningless, especially as it pertains to any outdoor activity. Rumi
Right sure, you all know better than they do obviously.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 1:26 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
trained professionals
Right sure, you all know better than they do obviously.
I know when I talk with a ranger and discover he/she doesn't know squat about backpacking, climbing, history of park, etc. They may know how to do CPR, operate their radios, write citations, etc, but some don't know much at all about the sort of activities we discuss here on NWHikers. "Trained professionals" vis-à-vis rangers means what? Did they go to college and get a BA in rangerology? Did they apprentice? Did they pass the ranger exam? It is a meaningless tern in regard to outdoor activities, for the most part. It doesn't signify any level of knowledge or skill. Rumi

DadFly

DadFly
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 1:33 pm 
Be polite and ready to back off but speak up when you see a potential problem. The hardest time I have had getting past a recovery was with a girl about my daughter's age and wearing gear similar to hers. And it was so easily avoidable. "If only someone had been there to warn her about the dangers."

"May you live in interesting times"
silence

silence
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 1:45 pm 
My concern wasn't about the response of a specific ranger at WIC ... it's more about the Park's policy. If they don't care, then why should I? Except when it comes to putting their rangers and other SAR peps in harms way, as well as wildlife whose home we are visiting. These guys didn't have a clue about anything, and the Hoh Ranger station was closed so they didn't even get the lecture about LNT, what conditions were like up there, the firearms rule, or even bother to get a backcountry permit. Still, I'm not afraid to talk to people on the trail if I think they need some guidance .... a yeah most don't want to hear it. On the contrary, we're always happy to get, and even ask, about conditions and advice from others on the trail.

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 2:42 pm 
I think the answer varies from person to person. Some don't feel comfortable telling others how to act (me) while others must get on their soapbox and preach. curse.gif And then others probably fall somewhere in the middle, so really imho there is no definitive answer to this question.