Forum Index > Trip Reports > Blue Mountain (ONP) 1/9/2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Abert

Abert
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 6:22 pm 
With not a lot of snow lately, I figured I could probably make it to the Deer Ridge TH for a walk up to Blue Mountain today. The Slab Camp area is its usual cold, dismal winter self. The last one plus mile of the road is compact snow and ice, with occasional bare ground tire tracks The access roads are about as potholed as I've seen them in my five years of living in Sequim. The parking lot and start of the trail at 2500' are completely snow covered. For comparison, I hiked up the Aurora Creek Trail (which is on the north side of Aurora Ridge) on Saturday and didn't walk on snow until 3700'. But, as usual for the Deer Ridge Trail, the snow disappeared as soon as I entered the forest. There was just a dusting of new snow above the benches and a few patches of older snow until well past the park boundary where the trail gets to more open ground around 5000'. Some post-holing (a foot or two deep at the most) ensued until the bottom of the steep slope up to the summit of Blue. A brisk wind chased me back down as soon as I reached the top.
Deer Ridge Trail
Deer Ridge Trail
Blue Mountain
Blue Mountain
Grand Ridge
Grand Ridge

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 pm 
Should get a foot or more in the next few days up there. The coverage is looking mighty thin in many places.

Abert

Abert
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 pm 
I parked across the road in the pull-out. I assume that's legal, although that's only based on my not getting ticketed when I've done it. You could also probably squeeze off the pavement on the trail side of the road. Meck has posted about parking at the large pull-off farther east and walking the road.

Stumblefoot
Stumblefoot

Stumblefoot
Stumblefoot
PostSat Jan 13, 2018 4:53 pm 
I have parked right by the trailhead on the south side of the road several times with no issues. There is room for maybe two vehicles. One of my favorite springtime leg training trails.