Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Suggestions for a one week vacation in Mexico on the Pacific side?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 12:15 am 
I've never been.... My gf has been many many times but is curious about new places she's never been. When? Probably in April. Where? We prefer the Pacific side, quiet places, not touristy, Airbnb's? What? For the usual swimming and snorkeling....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 12:31 am 
My oldest brother and his wife like Villa del Palmar in Loreto. Might be a little spendy though.

Chico

Chico
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 2:13 am 
I myself would not go to Mexico due to the violence taking place. Wish you luck if you do go.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 6:34 am 
Brucester wrote:
Where? Pacific side, Baja, Sea Of Cortez, not touristy, swimming, snorkeling, quiet....
Brucester, could you please clarify your question? Only because your thread title says: "Suggestions for one week vactaion (sic) in Mexico?" The former question seems to ask where in all of Mexico to go for non-touristy swimming, snorkeling which would have a lot more options. This makes me think of places in the Yucatan and Quintana Roo along the Caribbean Sea (staying south of Cancun). And possibly Puerta Vallarta on the Pacific where I snorkeled and explored the coast around Mismaloya. (Though that has been several years ago and I can't vouch for its current condition.) Then your above quoted comment about Baja seems to indicate that you have already decided it should be on the Pacific side and the Sea of Cortez. Is that the case? ~z

Tomlike

Tomlike
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 9:23 am 
Brucester wrote:
not touristy, swimming, snorkeling, quiet....
Mazunte, Oaxaca

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 10:31 am 
Typically, the week before Easter is when the Mexicans take their vacation. Of course there is spill over two weeks prior and one week thereafter of Easter. Prices are usually higher then. Plan around that. Smaller towns are more engaging than big tourist towns. Been there about 10 times with my small children. NEVER EVER HAD A PROBLEM. And I know many families who have been and have NEVER EVER HAD A PROBLEM. All this hype about security/violence is for the birds. There is only one place you do have to be concerned with and that is on the outskirts of Acapulco. And I am not divulging my secret places.

Art is an adventure.
Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:08 am 
Zephyr, I edited the post.... Thanks for the ideas and valuable insight, we really appreciate it!

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 7:02 pm 
loretto is the place to go....also have the whales on the pacific side in the bay and you can do a tour with super close encounters... about a 4 hr. drive away... pm magazine had a clip on loretto great town with lotsa military (safe)... I would go with bajaoutpost......if u dont dive just have them drop u off with kayaks and snorkeling..it was like 75$ for the day! I wanna go back for the food....also the oldest? church in mexico is there...

contour5

contour5
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 11:10 pm 
Bahia Concepcion, N of Loreto , is a nice stretch of beaches. It used to be pretty safe, except when it wasn't. Lots of good camping spots, if you're into that sort of thing. Santispac can be a bit crowded with RV and van/truck people, but it's right on the highway (easy bus ride) and there's a restaurant and a hot spring behind the beach. Snorkeling was decent (not spectacular) at Playa Coyote a few miles S of Santispac. No facilities, but lots of semi abandoned camping ramadas. Tons of fish in the water. There's a whole string of wild, empty beaches here... Edit: A quick google shows that the beaches S of Santispac are way more developed compared to 18 years ago... might be a good thing, but I doubt it... Baja is actually super corrupt and dangerous, but the authorities rarely mess with tourists unless you mess with drugs or weapons. Getting robbed at gunpoint is always a possibility. Use a money belt, don't carry too much cash, and camp with or near other people.

contour5

contour5
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 11:22 pm 
Probably find Airb'n'bs nowadays, but the old school deal was Casa de Huespedes ( Guest Houses). Used to be good ones in Loreto and Mulege for about $5 per night. Probably double or triple that now... I stayed at the one in Mulege mostly for the shower . Had to wait for the guy to make a little fire under the rusty old boiler contraption, before the hot water was available...

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 3:11 pm 
Oaxaca. Puerto Escondido. A favorite of the hippy surfer set back in the 60's. Probably still more laid back than places in the north.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm 
I do love going to Mexico, but choose your destination wisely. Here's an article in The Guardian that came out today on travel advisories for Mexico. Looks like several of the Pacific states are on the list. So plan carefully. Here's the travel advisory. Quote: "The US state department has warned Americans to completely avoid five Mexican states plagued by crime and drug cartel violence..." Do not travel to: Colima state due to crime. Guerrero state due to crime. Michoacán state due to crime. Sinaloa state due to crime. Tamaulipas state due to crime. ** **Each of the above links are to maps showing the locations. ~z

Leafguy

Leafguy
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 10:54 pm 
I agree with the others posters about safety. Just go a bit further west to HAWAII. smile.gif

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 5:43 am 
Leafguy wrote:
I agree with the others posters about safety. Just go a bit further west to HAWAII. smile.gif
Got to spend 5 days on Maui back in October. I’d have to agree. Unless things shift this time of year, Lahaina is somewhat sheltered be Lenai and Molakai. And Hana is a beautiful day trip.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostThu Apr 12, 2018 8:11 pm 
I've been looking at VRBO condo rentals in the Cabo San Lucas/San Jose del Cabo area, and have been kinda amazed how much bang for buck you can get. I found a nice 1bdrm condo, in a resort (full access, access to 2 beaches, pools, bars, restaurants), just outside Cabo San Lucas, with a small deck and view of the Arches, for <$150 USD/night. (https://www.vrbo.com/137271) Maybe not as fancy, but even cheaper, I've been looking at La Paz, specifically for a fishing vacation in the Sea of Cortez. --Gray