Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tarn 6945', Middle Fork Pasayten, Sept 27-29, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 8:44 pm 
"Another fantastically still morning under flawless blue; the tarn is a mirror of sunlit rock, deeply hued by distant forest fire smoke on eastern horizon. Quiet night of rock fall, pikas, owl calls, and deep starlight. The iced-over bag contrasts sharply with my feelings of literal and figurative warmth.”
Golden camp
Golden camp
I’ve finally spent some time reviewing images and journal entries from this trip and decided to share. The images are nothing striking, but the sunbeams may feel especially precious this time of year.
Into gold
Into gold
Departure from Slate pass TH. My mission was to descend 1800’ and reclaim 1700’ of that to arrive at tarn 6945’ to explore a basin thick with meadows, quiet, and larch groves.
Golden grove
Golden grove
The trail becomes nearly impossible for stock past Silver Lake due to downed trees. From Silver Pass there was a useful boot-track that trends from north side back onto the south side of the ridge. Arrival was celebrated with a bracing plunge in tarn waters.
On the trail
On the trail
Pasayten Peak tarn
Pasayten Peak tarn
The air was clear with just a hint of smoke smell from the Diamond fire. At night it was visible as an orange glow in the NE beyond Osceola, Lago and Carru; the active front was near Cathedral Provincial Park.
Bedroom and kitchen
Bedroom and kitchen
Toward Buckskin Ridge
Toward Buckskin Ridge
I spent mornings shuffling the meadows in slippers with the camera, delighting in the contrast of golden larch and murderously red blueberry. Evenings were spent watching last light on the ridge, and shadows that groped the meadows with the long heartless fingers of autumn.
First happy hour of the day
First happy hour of the day
Stalker
Stalker
Part of the landscape
Part of the landscape
Backlit larch trees, seed fuzz, and insects high on ridgeline
Backlit larch trees, seed fuzz, and insects high on ridgeline
Reaching shadows
Reaching shadows
One layover day task was attaining the ridge on ruins of granite to overlook my small lonesome kingdom: Slate Peak lookout, Osceola, Monument, Lago, and Carru.
From ridgeline
From ridgeline
Lonely lookout
Lonely lookout
Despite cloudless blue on the final morning, the altimeter had risen 260 feet signaling significant change. By the time I had packed, a few clouds broke the spell. Three hours later the first sprinkles chased me back to the truck, but not without the gold I had sought.
Desiduous gold
Desiduous gold

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:08 am 
I really enjoyed camping at that tarn, though it was mostly cloudy when I was there.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 11:26 am 
very nice inscho!

Art is an adventure.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 6:48 am 
Very nice pics and write up. Looks like it might get cool at night did your hiking buddy have a sleeping bag also?

Gil

Gil
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 7:42 am 
Lovely report!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 2:35 pm 
Beautiful pictures and trip report. We got a great view of Buckskin Ridge from our camp on Devil's Backbone last summer and am looking forward to exploring that area this year. More trip reports please! up.gif

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 10:44 am 
I'm glad people enjoyed the TR, as stale it may be wink.gif Bodhran has his own sleeping bag for all our trips; I trimmed an old thrift store down bag and resewed to his size, complete with zipper and drawstring opening for those nights that get down to the teens. Those are the mornings he refuses to emerge until the sun is shining smile.gif Here are a couple of shots from our trips:
Not coming out until the sun shows
Not coming out until the sun shows
Awaiting the sun
Awaiting the sun

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Jan 13, 2018 8:00 am 
D. Inscho wrote:
The images are nothing striking, but the sunbeams may feel especially precious this time of year.
I think you're wrong about the images being " nothing striking." I think they are grand, but you're right about this report being "especially precious this time of year." Do you intentionally keep both your boots and sandals out in the open, getting frosty, as an excuse to sleep in until the frost-chasing warmth of the sun? hockeygrin.gif Course, you got up to take the picture! suuure.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
KarlK

KarlK
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 pm 
I'm with Brushbuffalo on this. Your photographs and account are more than a little therapeutic for those of us mired in the short days of winter.

Karl J Kaiyala
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 7:21 am 
Thanks again everyone; it has been fun to share.