Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fortification Hill, Cove Peak, Dam View Point - 11/24/2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 8:26 am 
I had a half day before picking someone up at the airport so I crossed the bridge into Arizona and started with Fortification Hill. It’s a trail most of the way, with a short class 3 section to get up through the cliffs.
Fortification Hill
Fortification Hill
class 3
class 3
Near the summit I met a large group of people and they told me about the 52 peak list and how you can get a playing card for each peak you do with the club. I was curious about which ones are on the list, so I asked about that and it turns out I’ve already done a lot of them.
Jumbo group
Jumbo group
North Wilson
North Wilson
After Fortification I scrambled up little Cove Peak which has nice views of the lake. I could see some people in the water down below.
Fortification from Cove
Fortification from Cove
Dam View Point from Cove
Dam View Point from Cove
I had time for one more so I followed washed and scrambled a couple little dryfalls to get to Dam View Point. This one was my favorite of the day and featured intimate views of Black Rock Canyon and the Hoover Dam and bypass bridge. The register revealed that I was the first in 3 years.
Promontory Point, a difficult to access peak
Promontory Point, a difficult to access peak
Hoover Dam and bypass bridge
Hoover Dam and bypass bridge
Wilson
Wilson

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ree

ree
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm 
Nice colors out there. I like the Bypass Bridge and Dam shots. I've been on a boat there, flown over it in a chopper at night, but this is a very cool vantage point. So sad to see that water level so low. It has been decades since the tub ring was unexposed. I keep hoping for rain for the desert.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message