Forum Index > Trip Reports > Valley of Fire, Grapevine Canyon and more, with my sister, January 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 4:53 pm 
My sister came to visit me and see my new house. She agreed to do some short easy hikes. We took it easy at first and went to the red rocks along Northshore Drive and in the afternoon we did a scenic drive to Willow Beach.
The next day I took her to see Valley of Fire. We started with sunrise at The Cabins and then went to see Fire Wave making use of the alternate approach through the pink slot canyon.
Afterward we went to see the other little slot at the White Domes and finished with a full tour of Mouses Tank. This time I went solo below the tanks all the way to Fire Wash while Jess took a break. I spotted a group of sheep and I was able to sneak up on them for some closer photos.
I tried to take Jess down to Gold Strike hotsprings. This was a mistake. Several trip reports had led me to believe that it’s easy to get down there, but a number of slippery scrambles proved to be too much for us. I’ll go back another time.
On the last day Jess and I went on the Eldorado Canyon Mine tour which was fun and then we went to Grapevine Canyon to check out more petroglyphs. While exploring I found a cave with a metate depression in the rock. There were more petroglyphs inside the cave.
metate in a cave
metate in a cave

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message