Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
Previous :: Next Topic  
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 7:30 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
FWIW:  Blizzak DM-V2 on my AWD Honda CRV pushed through all the new snow overnight and during the day today at Snoqualmie -- even pushing through the berm between the WAC parking lot and the Alpental road.   No problems in Lot 4 -- I was able to swerve around several off-leash dogs with ease (cross thread from T-A-Y)
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 7:44 pm 
Any credibility to all the bruhaha on Social media that Washington state patrol is requiring AWD vehicles, even with studded snow tires, to carry chains in the passes "just in case", ala Rainier Nat'l park.  Large fine if caught without carrying them.   And I really don't want to buy a set from Les Schwab every Fall, just to sell them back in the Spring.  (minus restocking fee, I assume)

Does this mean I need to dig up my universal fit (i.e. doesn't fit anything I own) cables and carry them when I travel into WA in the winter now? 

I can't imagine conditions when my studded Hakkas wouldn't work, but cables would, on a paved plowed road.   I high center on snow before studded tires give up with AWD

BTW, I thought I remembered Michelin had some tires with walnut shells in them for winter traction many years ago.   All that comes up on searches currently are TOYO tires with walnut shells.

--------------
friluftsliv
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:48 pm 
boot up wrote:
Any credibility to all the bruhaha on Social media that Washington state patrol is requiring AWD vehicles, even with studded snow tires, to carry chains in the passes

It's not brouhaha.  It's true.  Has been for many years.  Not just the passes, but also where posted, i.e., 410 past Greenwater on the way to Crystal Mt.  I don't know for sure about the fines, but if WSP has set up a checkpoint to check for chains, they will turn you around if you haven't got them in your car, even on AWD.

Check out other threads on this same topic.  Search for "chains" in the title.

Just buy the darn things and be done with it.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP
sin rumbo

RichP
sin rumbo
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 9:35 pm 
I saw somewhere that the fine is 136 dollars if you have an AWD car with no chains in the car when chains are required. You only need chains for 2 wheels though.

Quote:
Exemptions
Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles are exempt from chain requirements when all wheels are in gear and are equipped with approved traction devices, provided that tire chains for at least one set of drive tires are carried in the vehicle. See WAC 204-24-050.

http://www.wsdot.com/winter/traction.htm
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 9:49 pm 
All our cars are AWD or 4WD so I carry chains, but I have never used them. To be honest there is no place that I want to go if I need 4x4 and chains.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 5:28 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
All our cars are AWD or 4WD so I carry chains, but I have never used them. To be honest there is no place that I want to go if I need 4x4 and chains.

Same here, and me neither.  However, I do have low-clearance chains to fit my tires, just in case I end up in an unforeseen situation where I do have to use them.  Either because I got stuck, or because of an unexpected requirement for chains on all vehicles, including AWD/4WD.
DIYSteve
mere tourist

DIYSteve
mere tourist
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 9:25 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
To be honest there is no place that I want to go if I need 4x4 and chains.

Carrying chains for a AWD or 4WD is about getting out of places you got into without chains. An example is Alpental Lot 3 RV parking, which they don't plow on a crowded weekend. Last February I pulled my 4x4 PU/camper rig with no issues. A big storm came in that evening, dumping 40" of sticky wet powder in 48 hours. By Saturday afternoon, those with AWD or 4WD but without chains were stranded. I drove out with ease in 4x4 low and chains on all 4 wheels. I pulled out two 4x4 (chainless) rigs, got rewarded with free beer.

I've chained up 4x4/AWD rigs a couple other times to exit trailheads that got hammered with big snow dumps while I was skiing or winter camping.

Chains for 4x4 or AWD could come in handy in May for FS Road 4330 shady spots which hold snow late in the season.
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 12:57 pm 
^This.  I always imagine needing to get out of the ditch I slid into, or over a hill on my way out of someplace I wouldn't have gone into if I'd known how slick it'd be.  Never had to do it, thankfully, but the legal requirement is a secondary reason to carry.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 4:41 pm 
Ya don't need a permit to carry!
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
  Happy Birthday payton, arcticlights69!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: