Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Malheur Occupiers acquitted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jan 08, 2018 8:10 pm 
Presumably Bundy still owes the U.S. a million dollars.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 6:58 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
It's good that any case with prosecutorial misconduct gets tossed out. Glad that the Judge did a proper job to insure justice is served.
Fixed that for ya. Process matters. An ill gotten conviction is a travesty of justice, even if the party is guilty as hell.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 am 
Token Civilian wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
It's good that any case with prosecutorial misconduct gets tossed out. Glad that the Judge did a proper job to insure justice is served.
Fixed that for ya. Process matters. An ill gotten conviction is a travesty of justice, even if the party is guilty as hell.
Objection!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 8:57 am 
Token Civilian wrote:
Your fix is redundant to my 1st sentence. I'm still pissed that the prosecutor didn't do their job properly, withholding evidence from the defense endangers all of us. Both from possibly being a target of prosecutorial misconduct and from criminals like Bundy feeling emboldened.

Klapton

Klapton
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 9:51 am 
I just stopped by to see the frothing in this thread.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:32 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Token Civilian wrote:
Your fix is redundant to my 1st sentence. I'm still pissed that the prosecutor didn't do their job properly, withholding evidence from the defense endangers all of us. Both from possibly being a target of prosecutorial misconduct and from criminals like Bundy feeling emboldened.
Quote:
Sad that the prosecutor in this case didn't do a proper job and have justice served.
This came across like you were sad that the prosecutor didn't get away with it (hide their misconduct sufficiently to obtain a conviction), hence my comment.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 12:52 pm 
FWIW I read that quite differently - that the prosecutor should have done his job thoroughly and according to both law and ethics, which would have yielded the best chance of a proper conviction for any actual crimes. I'm not quite seeing what got you to your interpretation of his post...

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 3:51 pm 
Token Civilian wrote:
This came across like you were sad that the prosecutor didn't get away with it (hide their misconduct sufficiently to obtain a conviction), hence my comment.
Seems you felt free to assume the worst and be critical. Good way to have a productive discussion NOT.

drm

drm
PostFri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 pm 
So in one case, here in Oregon, it appears that some lawbreakers mostly got off because the Feds chose the wrong crimes to charge them with. Remember that some did get convicted of lesser crimes. In the Nevada case they got off due to a technicality. I hope in the first case prosecutor's learned their lesson and in the second some kind of reprimand or punishment is called for if indeed it was intentional. Also, the right wingers will be lacking martyrs. The system worked and it will be harder for them to claim victimhood, though I figure they will still try.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:50 pm 
darn those right wingers

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 pm 
The most entertaining aspect of this whole sad affair was the rapid rise and even more rapid collapse of Cliven Bundy's hero status among conservative politicians. He was championed as a heroic "little guy" standing up big government for a while, but then he started sharing some of his "wisdom" about race relations in the USA and there was a stampede away from any association with him by politicians . What's interesting and odd is that on the one hand there is a lot of complaining about political correctness by conservatives , but when the opportunity to confront political correctness presents itself , politicians can't seem to find the exits fast enough.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:03 pm 
I don't see how your initial paragraph supports the second one, since I don't recall anyone arguing open racism was acceptable.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:19 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I don't see how your initial paragraph supports the second one, since I don't recall anyone arguing open racism was acceptable.
So in your book only subtle racism is acceptable. How very PC of you. Kind of like the political events of the last few days -- where #45 who was lauded during the campaign for "telling it like it is" is now weaseling away from his statements rather than doubling down on them like he did as a candidate.

trestle

trestle
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 7:37 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Wow. Do you ever tire of playing the literal card?

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostTue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 am 
PARDONED https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-pardons-oregon-men-whose-case-sparked-wildlife-refuge-takeover/ar-AAzR7Rb?ocid=spartanntp

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler