Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Apocalypse, Oregon pumps own gas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 9:45 pm 
Yeah, although it is eroding, this is still a democracy - at least for a little while more. The "state" and the "government" that some like to bash is....us.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 6:34 am 
alpendave wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
fuel transfer professional
Ha ha! That’s like calling the patient transporter at the hospital a “Transportologist.”
High school friend worked at a service station.Remeber those?He called himself a "petroleum distribution engineer." This was from a time of no cell phones, home pc, and debit cards, and your credit card receipt was carbon paper.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 10:01 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
Yeah, although it is eroding, this is still a democracy - at least for a little while more. The "state" and the "government" that some like to bash is....us.
The United States is not and never was a democracy. At this point in time I'd argue we're more of an oligarchy, but that's another topic. I'm glad that the new law won't apply along the I-5 corridor. I enjoy not having to get out of the car after Hood trips.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 5:50 pm 
pcg wrote:
alpendave wrote:
I’ve always found it incredibly ridiculous that the state forces people to wait to be served for something anyone competent to drive could easily do for themselves. The mandatory full service is so outside the realm of rationality that it shouldn’t even be up to the democratic process to impose it. In my ever so humble opinion.
Again... the state does this because it is the will of the people. The citizens of Oregon have TWICE voted down self serve. This time the state is allowing self serve without putting it to a vote.
If people are too lazy or incompetent to pump their own gas, they don’t deserve to vote.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 11:34 am 
Particularly on wether someone *else* is allowed to pump their own gas. Folks who want self serve are not doing a single thing to prevent full service folks from choosing full service, yet in OR many folks who prefer full serve are stomping on other people's choices, merely to serve their own ends.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
mike

mike
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 12:10 pm 
Whatever happened to either the self-serve island or the full-service island when you pulled in to a station. Small ones had a "honk for service" option too. different prices of course.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 12:23 pm 
From what i understand market research show price is the number one thing on most folks minds when fueling up, so the increased price at the full serve pumps probably resulted in not enough people actually choosing it. It's interesting to note that not enough folks who claim to prefer full serve will actually choose it when it costs more and thus support full serve in enough numbers to make it sustainable from a staffing perspective, but in OR they're happy to hide that cost by mandating it.
Quote:
According to a study by the NACS, consumers state that price was far-and-away the number one factor in choosing between fueling stations. 63% of respondents claimed price was the number one factor customers used when purchasing gas, followed by location (20%) and brand (8%) 3. So, even if they may not be able to eliminate their fuel purchases when prices go up, consumers still are heavily influenced by price when choosing between stations.
It's about price

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 7:29 pm 
As an Oregon resident, I could care less if I have to pump my own gas or not. The convenience of not having to get out of the car is offset by having to wait for an attendant. It's not a big deal here.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:13 am 
It is ironic that the average Joe/Joline somehow cannot be trusted to pump their own gas, but the tweaker or pothead who works at the gas station (not to say they all are, mind you), can do it efficiently and above all, safely.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 16, 2018 10:41 am 
alpendave wrote:
It is ironic that the average Joe/Joline somehow cannot be trusted to pump their own gas, but the tweaker or pothead who works at the gas station (not to say they all are, mind you), can do it efficiently and above all, safely.
I stopped going to the Chevron station closest to my house because the it was literally scary to have the heavily strung out tweakers they hired, filling my gas tank. Plus they would randomly get distracted with tweaker rants, which was a bit more interaction than I cared for with the attendants. Luckily its only a couple miles to another Chevron station that is generally cheaper prices and they seem to have a policy of hiring people that at least are not obviously strung out, and seem more like normal part-time job kinda people. I figure their "training" is still pretty minimal and definitely keep an eye on them in the rear view mirrors though. The whole issue is pretty silly, but hey, if it keeps people from moving to here, that alone is worth it IMHO. hockeygrin.gif

friluftsliv
wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Jan 25, 2018 2:16 pm 
My first job. Too young to know any better, I took professional pride in my work: clean windows, and check oil or even tire pressure if customer was an attractive female (sorry; adolescent male, can't be helped). One day, a guy drives in with some kind of shiny status car, spotless, waxed -- the kind of toy car the advertisers get us to misinvest our egos in. "Fillerup," he growls, "and don't dribble gas down my fender like the last kid did!" He was gruff, unfriendly. I took an instant disliking to him. "WELL," I said to myself, "not so much as a fingerprint on your silly car, you creepy fool..." So, I cleaned all the glass perfectly, and then... this is the ONLY time anything like this ever happened to me... somehow, as I withdrew the nozzle, I hit the trigger and gushed a whole pint of gas all over the back of his car! Just, of course, as he was exiting the store and looking right at me. "There goes my job," I thought, as our eyes met. So what does he do? He smiles. Chortles. Then guffaws. It was such a gracious way to forgive a mistake instead of taking offense -- I wish there was some way I could tell him I've remembered it for 50 years. Then there was the new guy on the job who I noticed climbing the ladder of the delivery tanker to verify the gas levels with the dipstick (they'd sometimes cheat) with a lighted cigarette in his hand. That's worth remembering, too.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.