Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
geyer

geyer
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 10:13 am 
Rubywrangler, I just discovered that you are dominating the lazy trip reports thread, which makes you nwhiker's laziest trip reporter! lol.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 1:00 am 
geyer wrote:
which makes you nwhiker's laziest trip reporter!
Thankyouverymuch! rotf.gif dance.gif But I think Nancyann and olderthaniusedtobe are even lazier than me! (so far... naughty.gif) In the interest of keeping up with them: On Sunday night some pretty photos popped up in my flickr feed. In a few clicks I discovered that a group of nwhikers had just broken trail to a place I had been considering for Monday. Score! And thank you, all of you! I will let them give the full report but here's my quick version. I couldn't sleep on Sunday night so around midnight I decided to take a page from the awilsondc playbook. Ruby and I left Seattle at 1:30am and headed up to Hwy 542. We started hiking up to Welcome Pass from the highway around 4:30am. It was unbelievably warm, must have been 50 degrees! And the trail is steep! By the time I was within ~400' of the pass, I was running on fumes. This was about when I put on snowshoes. But a hint of light in the east was beckoning me, so I pushed on to make it to the ridge for sunrise. It was worth it.
I took many photos of Mt Baker in varying shades of pink and gold.
We turned around just shy of Keep Cool Butte due to bloody paws and general exhaustion. Then we took a much needed 2 hour nap in the ranger station parking lot before heading home.
More photos: https://flic.kr/s/aHskAwGpTc (but you should probably just wait for Matt's)

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 10:44 am 
Your photos are splendid! Good thing you were able to utilize their tracks before the coming big dump of new snow.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 12:23 pm 
Beautiful photos, rubywrangler. I'd love it if you were to take over as the laziest of the lazy trip reporters! agree.gif up.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
But I think Nancyann and olderthaniusedtobe are even lazier than me! (so far... naughty.gif)
Why thank you! winksmile.gif To prove just how lazy I am, it's taken me 2 days to post my most recent TR and I haven't even downloaded photos yet. On MLK Jr. Day went with a buddy to the Carbon River entrance of MRNP. I hadn't been there since the early 90's when you could still drive all the way to Ipsut Cr. As I've seen other TRs mention, the road walk through the forest is lovely. We went up to Ranger Falls and Green Lake. Trail was completely snow free, lake was mostly frozen. Upon arriving at the lake we were immediately greeted by 4 camp robbers, but they gave up quickly and left before we even got our lunches out. On the way back down we decided to continue upstream along the Carbon River a bit further. Went another 3/4 mile probably. We were chasing the unexpected sunshine, but could never catch up to it. Eventually we just plopped down on the river bed for a bit and watched/listened to the river rushing by. There were only 2 other cars at the TH when we arrived but we passed a steady stream of hikers on our way out and returned to an overflowing TH. Nice, relaxing hike, perfect for midwinter. On a down note. I wasn't driving, the GPS told us to turn literally right before the TH and cross the river on the bridge. Several bumpy miles up the road we turned around and headed back to where we were supposed to be. I honestly didn't recognize it, but that must've been the road to the Summit Lake/Bearhead Mtn. TH that I did probably 4-5 years ago. The road was crappy then too, but in the intervening years apparently it's turned into a ghetto. There were 2 burned out/rusted/shot up remnants of cars along the road, one was overturned and upside down. WTH?! mad.gif There were also a couple of apparent target shooting areas along the road, one in particular w/ literally hundreds, if not closer to a 1,000, shotgun shells littering the entire area. Disgusting! down.gif down.gif down.gif Almost immediately adjacent to a National Park. None of that was there when I hiked Summit Lake.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 2:51 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
To prove just how lazy I am, it's taken me 2 days to post my most recent TR and I haven't even downloaded photos yet.
Ha! You are lazy, I saw your buddy's photos from this hike on facebook a few days ago! Thanks, BrushBuffalo and Nancyann!

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 3:52 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
Ha! You are lazy, I saw your buddy's photos from this hike on facebook a few days ago!
Ha. My pictures are probably exactly the same, except for one I took of a camp robber when the lens was fogged up. Your pictures from Welcome Pass are beautiful!

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 2:24 am 
Well, I guess I had better quit being so lazy and post a Lazy TR. Last Thursday morning, the clouds lifted and I could see the Shaw Washout from my house, so I decided to make a run for it before the next round of storms approached. I noticed two DNR trucks at the gated road leading to this trail, but didn't think much of it as I threw on my pack and started the march towards the target shooting garbage dump. I encountered two DNR workers returning to their trucks, and much to my surprise, they told me the road was closed to the public indefinitely due to active logging. I tried to explain that I wasn't going in the direction of the logging activity, but they were adamant in their refusal to let me proceed. I tried talking some sense in to them, but to no avail. rant.gif They suggested I drive up to Olney Pass instead, and just go for a (long, boring) walk up the gated South Shore Road. Somewhat perturbed, I just decided to see how far up the Kromona Mine Road I could get. A year ago, Hiking Partner and I snowshoed part way up, but the snow was several feet deep and the going was slow and boring, due to underbrush and no views. When I arrived at Olney Pass, my little weather window had vanished and it was raining steadily. frown.gif Since I had driven all the way up there, I stoically donned all my rain gear and decided to turn my walk into a raingear testing day. clown.gif After a mile or so of trudging through dense second growth forest which blocked all views of the scenic Spada backcountry, the rain turned to sleet and the road turned into a creek.
Kromona Mine Road, Sultan Basin 1/18/18
Many little creeks cascaded down the hill and crossed the road, creating washouts which became increasingly worse the farther I went. Apparently the land managers have no interest in this road anymore. But, my gear was holding up well, so onward I trudged. I knew I wouldn't have time to make it all the way up to the Kromona Mine, but at least I was getting out for a walk. After about three miles, Static Peak came into view, looking ghostly in the mist.
Static Peak from Kromona Mine Road 1/18/18
Static Peak from Kromona Mine Road 1/18/18
Then, suddenly I heard what sounded like some sort of waterfall, and soon I came to the mother of all washouts, and a beautiful waterfall crashing into a deep slot canyon, so deep I couldn't see the river in some places!
Missing bridge, Kromona Mine Road 1/18/18
Missing bridge, Kromona Mine Road 1/18/18
I had read Harvey Manning's description of this road, and didn't recall any mention of a slot canyon, so I was very pleasantly surprised. I carefully scrambled down to a flat spot by the waterfall and enjoyed a brief respite from the sleet while eating lunch. There used to be a bridge here and I imagined what it must have been like driving across the canyon. There was no safe place for me to cross the river, which I found out later was the South Fork of the Sultan River flowing out of One Acre Lake high above, so I took some pictures before heading back.
South Fork Sultan River, Kromona Mine Road 1/18/18
South Fork Sultan River leaving slot canyon, Kromona Mine Road 1/18/18
My gear was still holding up well when I arrived back at my car, and I was excited to stumble upon a scenic waterfall I wasn't expecting, so my day that didn't begin well turned out to have a happy ending! Gear: El Cheapo FroggToggs from Big Five Not El Cheapo Arctyrx Goose Down and Synthetic Down mix (I love this jacket, sheds water amazingly well) Burton Goretex Down Mitts (kept my fingers warm despite being wet on the outside up.gif up.gif) OR waterproof gaiters Zamberlan waterproof Goretex-lined boots (walked through six inches of water in some places, no leakage. up.gif up.gif )

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 1:28 pm 
Nice to see photos of that Kromona Mine road again. It looks a lot more overgrown than in 2007 when I could ride my bike along most of it without a problem. You don't have a wide shot of the canyon, but I wonder if it's the same washout that I ran into. It looked pretty fresh then so it might have happened in the huge 2006 flood.
This is the biggest of the 2 completely washed out sections along road 6110. Something really big came down here. it's just a trickle of a creek ...
This is the biggest of the 2 completely washed out sections along road 6110. Something really big came down here. it's just a trickle of a creek ...
but it cleared out a swath of trees all the way to the bottom of the valley.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 1:49 pm 
Puzzlr, I did take a photo of that washout, just didn't post it because it was a bit blurry.
One of many washouts along the Kromona Mine Road 1/18/18
One of many washouts along the Kromona Mine Road 1/18/18
Today I've been reading through old NWHikers TR's on this area, and it sounds like looking upstream for a way to cross the South Fork Sultan River (the slot canyon where I turned around) might be the best option. It would be a pain to take a bike up this road now due to all the washouts and overgrown brush! agree.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 2:35 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
That would have been caused by a debris torrent. Those events clean out a channel with a good strong flush like an industrial- scale toilet.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 3:03 pm 
Thanks for the road report. That is a lovely slot canyon, and in a low water time (late July or August), crossing on the down hill side is no problem. That bridge got blown out in 2009, or winter 2008. Some pix from 2009. Scroll down a little. 2007 Last time I actually made it to the mine, bridge still intact. Never did make it to the Bear Cave on the other side of the ridge from the Kromona.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 3:23 pm 
Thanks HH, I saw your pics from 2007 today. There was actually some flagging heading down the bank through the trees on the downstream side, but it was obvious a slip would have a very bad outcome, so I didn't venture any further.

Joe

Joe
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 9:55 am 
XC skiing in the Methow Valley 1/25/2018 A short ski day on the trails at Mazama: Goat Wall Loop, Inn Run and Flagg Mountain Loop, about 4.5 miles.
starting out on Goat Wall loop
starting out on Goat Wall loop
barb skiing
barb skiing
ready to ski
ready to ski
views on goat wall loop
views on goat wall loop
mazama views
mazama views
skate lessons
skate lessons
good day skiing
good day skiing
Methow valley
Methow valley
mazama-route
mazama-route
1/26/2018 Starting at Mazama, we skied the Basecamp trail, Lower River Run and the MVCT back to Mazama, about 7 miles.
No more North Cascades Base camp
No more North Cascades Base camp
basecamp trail
basecamp trail
Methow River
Methow River
barb skiing over bridge
barb skiing over bridge
Methow River
Methow River
Great day skiing
Great day skiing
headed toward bridge over Methow River
headed toward bridge over Methow River
Early Winters creek
Early Winters creek
pileated woodpecker
pileated woodpecker
Barb skiing on MVCT
Barb skiing on MVCT
barb skis into the tunnel
barb skis into the tunnel
Ski-route
Ski-route
1/27/2018 About 8 inches of snow fell after the trails were groomed, skiing was slow and lots of stops to apply glide wax with the sticky snow. From Mazama, we skied the MVCT toward the suspension bridge, about 6 miles.
A little overnight snow
A little overnight snow
MVCT
MVCT
Methow River
Methow River
ski-route
ski-route
1/28/2018 Today was a much better day skiing, after brushing off a foot on snow on our car, we drove to the SR20 trailhead and skied the trails at Early Winters: Lower River Run, Methow, Cassal Cutoff and Jacks, about 6 miles.
Goat Wall
Goat Wall
Cow Beach warming hut
Cow Beach warming hut
Meadow views on Cassal Cutoff
Meadow views on Cassal Cutoff
ski-route
ski-route

Joe
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Feb 04, 2018 9:12 pm 
Went up Mailbox Peak today (old trail). No pics because I was lazy. Fairly warm and very wet. Light rain most of the way up. Very windy up top. Trail is snow free until just before the summit, but only patches here and there. The least amount of snow I've seen on Mailbox in February. No flotation needed. Microspikes may be helpful but I didn't bother.