Forum Index > Gear Talk > Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Jan 09, 2018 9:28 pm 
A couple years ago I found a Cascade Mountain Tech trekking pole on the trail, which I took home and added to my collection of trail booty. After my Black Diamond poles broke, I ended up using the CMT pole as my main pole, sometimes paired up with a whippet. I assumed it was an expensive pole based on the quality and features. It was a very durable and took a lot of abuse. It lasted about two years -- longer than all of my BD poles -- until the GF borrowed it and broke it in a nasty ski crash. I never got around to replacing it at the time, but I happened upon the same Cascade Mountain Tech poles on Amazon a few days ago. Turns out, they're dirt cheap poles -- $22 bucks. I bought a pair and got them delivered today. They seem to be about the same quality as the original CMT pole I found. They have the same flick-lock system as more expensive poles, and they extend long enough for a taller person such as myself. Also, unlike other cheap poles, they come with snow baskets and a variety of different tip covers. There's also a carbon fiber version for $44, if you want to save a little weight. Anyway, I'm super happy to have found a great deal and I just thought I'd pass it along.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 12:13 am 
Those are the ones sold at Costco. The tips wear fast but BD tips fit. My go to poles now.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
KevinDo

KevinDo
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 am 
Oh yea those go quickly when they show up at Costco! I believe they got a boost in popularity recently due to Andrew Skurka's review on em. Been using mine now for 2 years and only had to replace the tips. Other than that they are rock solid poles!

iron

iron
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 pm 
definitely not as durable as BDs IME. we bought about 4 pairs and have snapped parts and pieces easily on all of the poles. meanwhile, my 12 y.o. BD CF poles are still fine, despite some good tweaks over the years.

rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 10:36 pm 
Agree with iron. The bottom segment of one snapped the first time I used them. Emailed the company to see if they'd replace it and they never responded. So down.gif on customer service too. I went back to BD. ETA: mine were the CF version

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 am 
Hey, I lost a pair of CMT poles a couple years ago. Were they blue-ish and lost at the West Tiger Mountain trailhead, and with an extra flick-lock duct taped to them? Regardless, unlike the experience noted by others, I thought the tips were really tough! I used them a LOT on rocky ground and they showed virtually no signs of wear. I assume the tips were carbide, based on how unaffected they seemed to be. And really, they were only $22 for the carbon fiber/flick-lock version? Last I looked on Amazon, they were over $40. $22 sounds like a great deal! I just looked, and the only ones I could see for $22 were the aluminum ones. Do you have a link?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 12:15 am 
My tips that wore were used several hundred miles on thru hikes. I broke two center section over three years by tripping and falling on them so it is not really a fault.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 12:35 am 
Some are simply clumsy and/or just hard on equipment, ymmv.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 9:59 am 
Navy salad wrote:
Hey, I lost a pair of CMT poles a couple years ago. Were they blue-ish and lost at the West Tiger Mountain trailhead, and with an extra flick-lock duct taped to them?
I only found a single pole, and it was an orange aluminum one. I think I found it over near Cashmere Mountain, though I can't remember for sure. Never hiked Tiger in my life -- that place is crazy busy.
Navy salad wrote:
And really, they were only $22 for the carbon fiber/flick-lock version? Last I looked on Amazon, they were over $40. $22 sounds like a great deal!
$22 for the aluminum, $40 for the carbon fiber.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed May 23, 2018 10:07 am 
I just learned that you can buy replacement parts for these hiking poles! Broken sections, lost flick-lock, replacement tips or baskets, whatever. This is the link: https://cascademountaintech.com/collections/trekking-pole-parts

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed May 23, 2018 10:22 am 
I had the tips wear out in California, substituted BD tips they went on easy. Much more durable on granite.