Forum Index > Gear Talk > Osprey offers Super Ultralight Packs Spring 2018
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Jan 13, 2018 11:46 am 
Osprey has made some good ultralight packs with the Talon and Exos series in recent years and with increased interest in this category as evidenced by increased sales among big box and cottage industries Osprey has advanced their position in the market with the soon to be released Lumina and Levity line of sub 2lb. 45L and 60 L backpacks which were a hit at Outdoor Retailers shows as well as stirring interest on ultralight websites, some believe this latest offering will spur other larger retailers to trend in the ultralight direction mass producing superultralight products which were once the domain of cottage industries. Video Levity 45 Levity 60 Lumina 60 Lumina 45 SectionHiker's Review "The Levity and Lumina are made with a lightweight, durable, and nearly waterproof fabric that Osprey calls NanoFly. It’s an abrasion resistant mix of 100 denier Cordura nylon and (UHMWPE) ultra high molecular weight polyethylene that is in the same wheelhouse as the cuben fiber composites used by some cottage manufacturers. It will be interesting to see if the Levity and Lumina packs will impact the popularity of the ultralight backpacks sold by them or whether they’ll be able to innovate in time to compete head-to-head with Osprey"._SectionHiker

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 1:29 pm 
Osprey had the Hornet series 2011-2013. I have a Hornet 46 Medium, which is 1lb 10oz. I guess that line didn’t sell well for them as they discontinued them. I guess this is their second attempt at sub-2lb backpacks. My Hornet 46M is great. Obviously light, lots of capacity, pockets and other features.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 3:45 pm 
I traded some gear with Hit the Trail and acquired a Hornet in the deal. That was a nice UL pack which my daughter adopted from me, she used it on a dayhike we did together over xmas.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jan 14, 2018 4:49 pm 
Packs without hip belt padding or pockets do not turn me on all that much( also shoulder strap pockets). I will always add them, and that may make up for any weight advantage. Wildernessed and Steve always tell me I look like a Gypsy because of the stuff I add to my packs! I will keep an open mind and wait until after I see these packs and try them on. Also, I am intrigued by the Big Agnes hammock with built-in pad sleeve holder featured in the Sectionhiker review. Let the elite cottage vendors say what they want about their hammocks, you can make any cheap and nasty hammock comfortable and warm if you put an insulated inflated pad in the bottom of it!. I want to look at them too.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 2:16 pm 
It looks like this pack has one large wrap-around external pocket? Could be a nice replacement for my trusty, but by now beat-up, exos! Ewww wait no ice axe loop?

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostWed Jan 17, 2018 9:11 pm 
Who writes their copy? Trump? Geez: The Osprey Levity 60 is the most comfortable and ventilated pack ever made for the lightest loads imaginable. It's perfect for weeklong, or even monthlong trips. In fact, it's probably not the right pack for you. It's for people who pack lighter, go further, and think smarter. This pack isn't on Instagram, because phones are too heavy, and views look better in your mind anyway. But if you are one of those maniacal gram-counters, and you're tired of carrying a bag of suck, look no further. Backed by our All Mighty Guarantee, forever.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 8:30 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Ewww wait no ice axe loop?
It looks like you could tie some UL cord around the lower tie in loop in a pinch.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 9:14 am 
xrp wrote:
Osprey had the Hornet series 2011-2013. I have a Hornet 46 Medium, which is 1lb 10oz. I guess that line didn’t sell well for them as they discontinued them. I guess this is their second attempt at sub-2lb backpacks. My Hornet 46M is great. Obviously light, lots of capacity, pockets and other features.
I have the Hornet 46 -- It uses conventional materials in light gauges to achieve lightweight, there are some durability and comfort issues. I find I need to keep the load in the Hornet 46 under 25 lbs -- or the shoulder straps start digging in. My old GoLite Gust had more comfortable shoulder straps. The new line appears to use more modern materials -- SilNylon, etc instead of polyurethane coated nylon for example. It will be interesting to try one on in the store with a sample load.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 10:45 am 
Looks like they also made some changes to the Exos packs this year and they got heavier. Also looks like no more hipbelt pockets.

Jaberwock

Jaberwock
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 11:31 am 
SUL is a pretty subjective term...

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 1:04 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
It looks like you could tie some UL cord around the lower tie in loop in a pinch.
Ya, it looks like theres enough gear loops to tie our straps to in order to add an axe loop or 2 and maybe an external strap for a tent. Probably would only add an ounce or 2. I'm liking this better the more I think about it. Might be my next pack.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 pm 
Jaberwock wrote:
Kinda like WP/Breathable ... Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 12:29 pm 
Opus wrote:
Looks like they also made some changes to the Exos packs this year and they got heavier. Also looks like no more hipbelt pockets.
I saw the Exos gained some weight for 2018 hmmm.gif I liked the hip belt pockets on the Exos but wore the MLD Prophet CF last year with no hip belt pockets and was fine so I am good with that. I think a lot of people like the comfort and breathabilty of the "Airscape" suspension combined with the low weight. It will be interesting to see it at the gear store this Spring. Osprey has a trademark on the new fabric.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 2:33 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
I think a lot of people like the comfort and breathabilty of the "Airscape" suspension combined with the low weight.
I love it. That cooler back is a game-changer, IMO. It is a palpable difference in comfort. And with carrying a much lighter load, the distance away from the back is not a crucial issue. YMMV The Lightwire frame does not suit some people. I am not one of those people. I have an Atmos 50 which is about 12 years old, maybe 13 and I love that old frame. It comes in at just slightly over three pounds. That is one of the main reasons I am looking forward to a hands-on look at this pack.
wildernessed wrote:
I liked the hip belt pockets on the Exos but wore the MLD Prophet CF last year with no hip belt pockets and was fine so I am good with that.
Yea, and finding a very light shoulder strap pocket for the few things I want handy will satisfy me. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
Jaberwock wrote:
Kinda like WP/Breathable ... Rumi
There's nothing subjective about WP/Breathable...nonexistent is nonexistent. smile.gif