Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wedding Hike Suggestions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
foxtrot1014
Hiking Guys

foxtrot1014
Hiking Guys
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 5:12 pm 
Hello All, My partner and I are both avid hikers, fans of the great outdoors, etcetera, and it played a major role in the development of our relationship. We've been engaged for almost two years now and have come up with all sorts of ideas on when, where and how to get married but have yet to put anything in stone because we can't find a suitable location. I figure since the interwebs has more people who've hiked more hikes than we can ever hike, someone out there probably has some really great suggestions on where to go. I did use WTA's hike finder and found a couple (like Mount Persis), but would really appreciate some actual human-generated suggestions. Before you start thinking of where you'd go for a wedding, let me give some explanation of what we want to do and other details that might help you help us. The overall idea is that on such-and-such date this year (probably summer or early fall for weather stability, though we're kinda hoping for some rain), just my partner, myself and his brother (to officiate) will hike to some summit, preferably with a view of anything natural, where his brother will pronounce us man and man. After that, we'll hike back down to the trail head where nearby there's some sort of venue where we can celebrate our new union with a small group of friends and family (definitely <40 people). We have three dogs that are like kids to us, if they could be there as well that'd be great, but we understand this will make finding a venue and trail significantly more difficult than it already is. We live in Tacoma, so somewhere within a couple hours' drive would be ideal. As for difficulty of hike: whatever, as long as we don't need to do any climbing and it's a short enough hike that we can complete it within a few hours. The biggest catch is that we REALLY REALLY want to be somewhere where it's unlikely for many others to be around (especially tourists who aren't hikers that like to shove cameras into your path and screaming children, ick). In bullet points, I'm looking for a hike with the following characteristics: - A summit/lookout/peak - Venue that can accommodate <40 people near the trailhead (doesn't need to be classy at all, just a place to serve food, cut the cake (pass out donuts in our case), dance, etc.) - Minimal foot traffic (esp. tourists, screaming kids) - Probably under 9 miles and under 2,000' gain for the sake of time - Dog friendly would be super awesome. Fire away with suggestions!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 6:19 pm 
How about Fortune Peak over in the Teanaway? Pros: -Spectacular views of Mount Stuart and the surrounding landscape -It's east of the crest, so the hiking season is longer and chance for good weather is better -Dog friendly if approached from Esmerelda Basin -Chance of seeing other people on the summit is pretty low -The trailhead is about an hour from Cle Elum, which has Suncadia Resort and other facilities -Broad, flat summit Cons: -A bit longer than you asked for (10ish miles, 3000ish gain) -Not completely a "hike" - there is a bit of off-trail travel (easy) required to reach the summit I'm sure others will have better suggestions but for some reason this is the first one that came to mind. Congratulations, by the way!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 pm 
Okay... we just had this discussion last year. Your scenario is a wee bit different, but it would still be helpful in your research and discovery to read this thread. You might get some ideas. And I agree with Jake, Fortune Peak is a great hike. Timing with the weather and other conditions like smoke will be important. Best wishes. ~z

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 7:41 pm 
Fortune is a nice peak, dog friendly from the pass above Lake Ann (or another more scrambly route) but it's >2K ascent. Nearby is Iron Mountain, which is a bit shorter and less verts. TH is nonexistent but you could have the post-hike wedding at nearby DeRoux campground. There is an informal trail from DeRoux CG to Iron TH.

Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Jan 19, 2018 9:48 pm 
South of Packwood. At the Orr Creek Snowpark there is a cabin. Nearby you can hike up Hamilton Buttes. The cabin is mostly used in the winter....for snowmobilers. Do not know about the summer for summer time users.

Art is an adventure.
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:20 am 
Does it have to be on a weekend day? If not, many more options would be available to you without the crowds/children. ( esp. after Labor Day when they return to school/work). Big Steve's idea of Iron is a good one, with reception at De Roux campground. Another nice spot could be hike Silver peak from Windy Pass ( shortish hike, nice summit). Best Wishes!

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 11:18 am 
Snowdog wrote:
Another nice spot could be hike Silver peak from Windy Pass ( shortish hike, nice summit).
Good one, Snowdog. I actually thought of it too but it is somewhat popular depending on the day of the week. One will need a sturdy vehicle to get up that road. Some years it's a bit washy. ~z

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 1:06 pm 
In addition to the excellent ideas in the link zephyr mentions. Turtleback Mountain (Orcas Island) Red Top Lookout (Blewett Pass) Winchester Mountain Lookout Artist Point In the Methow Valley (from east to west): Slate Peak Goat Peak Patterson Mountain (near Sun Mountain) Lookout Mountain (Twisp)