Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Potential landslide Rattlesnake Ridge Yakima
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 8:17 pm 
That would be Nick Zentner. Here's a short "Nick On The Rocks" about the age of the Yakima River. It's so short it probably leaves out some important stuff.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Jan 07, 2018 9:39 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
It's so short it probably leaves out some important stuff.
Excellent video. You're right. We just barely got started. I could have listened for another 20 minutes or more. wink.gif ~z

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 2:41 pm 
Updated drone footage, def getting bigger: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/article194696954.html

~Mom jeans on wheels
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:19 pm 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
Updated drone footage, def getting bigger: http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/article194696954.html
I was going to make a joke about doing something really stupid like hiking up along the crack, then I saw the people in the video romping around right on the crack. After all, what could possibly go wrong?..... That was a good shot of the rail cars filled with cement blocks, that are meant to stop boulders and stuff from getting to the road. They look insignificantly small when compared to the size of the hill above. My wife ended up flying to Seattle, instead of driving by that spot twice. We had decided to do that to avoid general winter hazards of a solo drive before the crack was announced, but I am glad she did, even though she is back now and it still hasn't slid. Timing is everything. I can imagine the bragging coming from those people playing on the crack. And I can imagine the outrage of surviving family for anyone that doesn't have good luck on timing.

friluftsliv
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 3:48 pm 
I'm thinking those were engineers and geologists and the vid was likely flown and recorded from up there, it's the best location for line of sight with respect to coverage. There are yellow obects of some kind at what look like key locations, I'd guess those are position transponders so they can map the creepage.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 4:22 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I'm thinking those were engineers and geologists and the vid was likely flown and recorded from up there, it's the best location for line of sight with respect to coverage. There are yellow obects of some kind at what look like key locations, I'd guess those are position transponders so they can map the creepage.
When I enlarged the video, the grainy result looked like people just jumping and running around, maybe even one guy on a bike. That would be a pretty much fun loving and rowdy bunch of engineers and geologists.

friluftsliv
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm 
there you go then! rowdy geologists, news at 11! just watched it enlarged, yeah one guy is moving pretty fast for a geologist. and a bike, yup

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostMon Jan 15, 2018 8:34 pm 
Seems really difficult to see from the videos where the slide is cleaving on the west slope above the roads. It does look like the quarry will absorb a lot of the slide, as some of the geologists claim, but it would have to be shallow and all move in the correct direction. It still seems unlikely that the freeway won't be impacted... but by how much?

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm 

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 6:55 pm 
So what would happen if they started excavating along the top of the slide to unload the pressure at the bottom of it?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
So what would happen if they started excavating along the top of the slide to unload the pressure at the bottom of it?
I see a safety issue with that. Explosives might be better, but I imagine the liability is too big of a thing Thought I heard that the idiots running around on it messed up the measuring instruments?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 11:10 am 
I wouldn't be surprised. Jerks seem to have an inexplicable need to screw with instruments and installations anywhere they find them, river sites, mountaintops, etc/

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 12:49 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
I see a safety issue with that. Explosives might be better, but I imagine the liability is too big of a thing
I think there was some discussion of this on the Yakima Valley Office of Emergency Management facebook page. If I recall, drilling and setting the explosives would be risky and the explosion might destabilize other parts of the hillside and make things worse. It sounded like it was considered, but wasn't a good option for this situation.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostSun Jan 28, 2018 11:23 am 

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Jan 28, 2018 12:17 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised. Jerks seem to have an inexplicable need to screw with instruments and installations anywhere they find them, river sites, mountaintops, etc/
I have seen a lot of things in the woods. I always wondered what percentage of those numbered aluminum tags in trees were ever revisited. But back before digital cameras they were trying to do studies of spotted owl prey. Someone came up with an ad hoc design using a disposable 35 mm camera, a paper clip for a trigger, in a ziplock bag. I’d seen several trap lines of these in the woods. One day off the stub trail to Four Stream I came along a line. Think in the area RR found a radio elk tag a year or two ago. But I had my Daughter in my pack. Usually she carried Mr Brown Bear. But this time she had a fluorescent pink bunny. Couldn’t resist staging a photo of it. Genuine mall approved prey. I did advance filmand recock setup. So I’m one of the jerks. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!