Forum Index > Trail Talk > I can't believe how much I love (cross country) skiing!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 8:09 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Yes, it's a fun trip. Brown's Farm, about 4.5 miles from Mazama, has a warming hut with water, tea and snacks that makes a nice stop. Too bad it's not closer to halfway between Mazama and Winthrop. There's another warming hut at Wolf Ridge Resort, about 10 miles from Mazama, but it's often not warm and I don't recall any water there. Much of the section from Brown's Farm to Wolf Ridge Resort runs through rolling forest with no access to water at all. Some other sections of trail run close to streams (check the trail map), so I suppose you could get and treat water from those sources if you absolutely needed to. Take a look at the trail maps for side trips, if the 30k Methow Community Trail is not enough for one day.
Thanks! I have a way to comfortably carry enough water for about 10 miles, it sounds like I better start well hydrated.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 25, 2018 7:22 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Ha ha. Yeah, descents in those boots was always on the verge of being out of control. It made us better skiers and sharpened our reflexes.
It turned our toes black and blue from the boots twisting. This happened after a. day of downhilling at White Pass telecrashing on the Epokes. It was a day of ouches--lots of Ouches.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSun Jan 28, 2018 7:02 pm 
Fun skiing Erling Stordahl trails today. Nice fast conditions for skinny fishscales. Got hit with a few tree bombs. Had to make a bit of an adjustment after skiing fatties in soft pow Friday and deep wet glue Saturday.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
Yes, it's a fun trip. Brown's Farm, about 4.5 miles from Mazama, has a warming hut with water, tea and snacks that makes a nice stop. Too bad it's not closer to halfway between Mazama and Winthrop. There's another warming hut at Wolf Ridge Resort, about 10 miles from Mazama, but it's often not warm and I don't recall any water there. Much of the section from Brown's Farm to Wolf Ridge Resort runs through rolling forest with no access to water at all. Some other sections of trail run close to streams (check the trail map), so I suppose you could get and treat water from those sources if you absolutely needed to. Take a look at the trail maps for side trips, if the 30k Methow Community Trail is not enough for one day.
It drops you off at the trailhead by the Mazama store, right? No option to start at the end of the trail system?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:08 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
Fun skiing Erling Stordahl trails today. Nice fast conditions for skinny fishscales. Got hit with a few tree bombs. Had to make a bit of an adjustment after skiing fatties in soft pow Friday and deep wet glue Saturday.
That's the trail system from Crystal Springs?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:38 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
That's the trail system from Crystal Springs?
Partly. Erling Stordahl system is the set of groomed tracks S of the SnoPark, E of John Wayne trail. The groomed tracks heading NW from the SnoPark toward and around Keechelus Lake to Hyak are not part of Erling Stordahl system.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 12:00 pm 
Hmmm, never been. I've only skied from Crystal Springs once, to Hyak and back. I'll have to go check it out.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 12:36 pm 
Cyclopath, if you're skiing classic -- and sounds like you are -- I think you would find an extended tour in the Rendezvous area more rewarding than the Community Trail from Mazama to Winthrop. My favorite is to go up Cub Creek and Cow Creek trails to the Gardner Hut, and then come back down via the Little Cub trail, which is my favorite trail in the whole system. I just got back from a week in the Methow where I did that trip and several others! Those trips always go by too fast...

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Hmmm, never been. I've only skied from Crystal Springs once, to Hyak and back. I'll have to go check it out.
Erling Stordahl trails are fun and a nice break from Cabin Creek. Forest Loop, Troll Bridge and Meadow Loop are mellow. Roller Coaster and Challenge have steep sections and can be tricky in some conditions.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
It drops you off at the trailhead by the Mazama store, right? No option to start at the end of the trail system?
Yes, it drops you off at the Mazama store trailhead, and you ski back to your car at the Winthrop trailhead. If you start at the Winthrop Town Trailhead, you will need to arrange a pickup in Mazama to drive you back to Winthrop. From a friend, or a car left there, or arranged through a local taxi service (Gabby Cabby if they are still around). The area Foist refers to, the Rendezvous, also has its own traverse - from the Cub Creek Trailhead to Mazama. No scheduled shuttle service for that, so you have to arrange your own. The easiest way to accomplish that is to sign up for the Tour of the Methow sponsored by the Methow Valley Nordic Ski Club each February. This event provides the opportunity to do the either the Methow Community Trail, or the Rendevous Traverse, or some additional stuff, or all of it, for a total of 80K in one fell swoop. This is followed by a potluck that evening in the Red Barn. Tour of the Methow Both traverses are scenic, rewarding and fun. Of course, you will eventually want to do both.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 2:19 pm 
My suggestion was not a traverse, it is a loop. The traverse would be cool (and even longer than the trip I suggested), but I have not done it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 pm 
Foist wrote:
Cyclopath, if you're skiing classic -- and sounds like you are -- I think you would find an extended tour in the Rendezvous area more rewarding than the Community Trail from Mazama to Winthrop. My favorite is to go up Cub Creek and Cow Creek trails to the Gardner Hut, and then come back down via the Little Cub trail, which is my favorite trail in the whole system. I just got back from a week in the Methow where I did that trip and several others! Those trips always go by too fast...
That looks like a great loop! Last month I had a 15 mile day from Gunn Ranch to see the Rendezvous and Grizzly Huts, did the Grizzly Mountain Loop, and came back down. Yours looks even better. smile.gif
I need to spend a clear night here with my good camera.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:28 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Erling Stordahl trails are fun and a nice break from Cabin Creek. Forest Loop, Troll Bridge and Meadow Loop are mellow. Roller Coaster and Challenge have steep sections and can be tricky in some conditions.
Thanks for posting this. I knew there were more trails back there than the Iron Horse, didn't know they weren't flat! Looking forward to checking them out.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 10:29 pm 
I've been to the rendezvous, grizzly and Gardner huts and Gardner has the best view. There are a couple others I haven't been to. Someone told me heifer hut is really nice.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 7:31 am 
For a shorter drive than Mazama, you can ski groomed trails on the south side of Loup Loup Pass--12 miles east of Twisp. You will need a snow park permit but that's all. The Loup trails are groomed on Thursdays so will not be as perfect as the Methow trails. I am hoping to start up skiing on them as soon as my ski boots arrive and if they fit.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities