Forum Index > Trail Talk > Experiences skiing after ACL surgery.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jan 25, 2018 9:58 am 
Bedivere wrote:
It's about fear of financial devastation. * * * I'm literally terrified to put skis on at this point.
Consider getting XC skis and join us. Half my days are on XC gear or fat fishscales as I await knee replacement surgery. I enjoy XC skiing and FF as much as lift skiing or touring. We hope you can meet up with us for spring/summer corn touring. I'll be dialing down the routes to mellow.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tireddogs

tireddogs
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 2:13 pm 
Thank you all for your responses! Its interesting to hear the range of injuries and recovery stories. I had my meniscus repaired so my leg was locked straight and non-weight bearing for 4 weeks, then another 6 weeks with progressively more bend and weight. Really messed up my muscles. I did go to 7 months of PT and was cleared to ski again. I am taking lessons once a week at the Summit like Randy mentioned, but my ramp up isn't nearly as good as last year. So much for my goal of skiing black diamonds WELL by the end of my second season frown.gif When I injured my knee I was into day two on new longer, wider skis and Kingpin bindings (set to lowest release - I don't weigh much). I fell at the start of a slow turn and somehow the tip of my ski jammed into the snow when I fell. I wish I had instant replay to see exactly what happened. I have since traded the Kingpins for Fritschi Vipecs. The debate on binding safety is a whole other thread, but I used the Vipecs previously and am confident they release when I need them to. I've found that my problem is much more mental than physical. I am really afraid of getting hurt again because I missed out on a whole summer of awesome hiking and backpacking while recovering! Right now my mindset is to just keep learning and stay away from powder for now.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message