Forum Index > Trail Talk > Surprised this isn't a topic
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jetlag

Jetlag
PostSat Jul 25, 2015 10:35 am 
Thanks for the voice of experience on this issue, gb!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Jan 28, 2018 1:39 pm 
Good local Wolverine video.

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jan 28, 2018 3:00 pm 
I'm pretty sure I've seen a wolf twice in almost the same spot, a couple years apart. On the west slope of the Cascades. I won't be divulging where. Yeah, a few wolves show up and the entire state's deer population crashes...not buying it. Hysteria and misinformation and a mindset that is outdated by about 100 years.

pcg

pcg
PostSun Jan 28, 2018 4:09 pm 
I’ve got the most difficult of the Ws, but have yet to see a wolf. I was very fortunate to see a wolverine (crossing the road) on Mt.Hood in 2011. I also saw a fisher while bc skiing on Mt. Hood in 1982. I have yet to see a wolf. Can’t wait!

schifferj

schifferj
PostSun Jan 28, 2018 8:01 pm 
Saw my first Wolverine in the Gold Creek drainage north and East of Sandpoint Idaho three years ago. Actually, it was a mother and a kit. Saw one last winter near the Slocan Chief cabin in BC. We have a lot of wolves in eastern Washington, Idaho, and Montana. First pack I saw was up on Lolo Pass in Montana. Saw another pack more recently on 20 Odd Peak in the Cabinet Mountains Wilderness. No one over here would be surprised to find a pack on the outskirts of Spokane. More impressive, however, was my sighting up close of a Grizzley Bear on a mountain, again in the Cabinets, called Pulpit Mountain. I had bear spray close at hand but would have had no chance to use had that bear decided to come at me rather than run away! Extremely fast animal, I,m sure it went from 0 to 40 mph in a couple steps.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 8:39 am 
We saw a wolverine while ski touring above Headlight Basin in June 2012. We reported it to WDFW, who confirmed it was a big male. Two NWHiker friends saw it a couple weeks later on Sixty Six Hundred Ridge. WDFW trapped it and put a radio collar on it. WDFW claimed that it was the southernmost confirmed PNW wolverine sighting in 40 years.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 9:56 am 
You sure about that? https://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/health/cwd/ The article may be a couple years old, but I sure haven't ever heard of more than one case recently. I googled CWD in our state and came up with no documentation. I do think that one deer was found with it but can't recall where. Are you confusing CWD with the hoof disease that is in the SW Warshington elk? Wolve, bears, cougars, and people all kill deer for food. Increase one and it is obvious that deer mortality will increase. You have overlooked the changing of land from winter habitat into homes and vacation homes. Look at the Methow Valley for an example of this. We used to see a wolverine up in the Bonaparte Lake area. It would be dead from old age by now.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
markweth

markweth
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 4:43 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I'm pretty sure I've seen a wolf twice in almost the same spot, a couple years apart. On the west slope of the Cascades. I won't be divulging where.
gb wrote:
The smart move with Endangered animals is not to give specific locations on sightings of these animals. There are a lot of crazies like the idiot and criminal who shot the female wolf in the Teanaway. It is not only conceivable but quite likely that these crazies and criminals would frequent a site like this for information.
Thanks to each of you for unsolicited and "real life" examples of the importance of the concept of an 8th Leave No Trace Principle smile.gif

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 6:25 pm 
wolverine track?
wolverine track?
i saw this on the white chuck glacier last august. it looked too big to be a marmot, it didn't look like it had the bear paw pad below the nails, so i thought it could possibly be a wolverine. who knows, but it fun to think about as i made my way up the glacier.

Eric Eames
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 6:39 pm 
I never report endangered species sightings, game sightings, unusual fish reports, or spotted owl sightings here as jerks monitor this sight and kill them.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 6:41 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
I never report endangered species sightings, game sightings, unusual fish reports, or spotted owl sightings here as jerks monitor this sight and kill them.
Really? When did that happen?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 6:47 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
i'm pretty sure those tracks were melted out by the next day, and since it's been 6 months since that pic, it's long gone!

Eric Eames
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 4:34 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
wolverine track?
wolverine track?
i saw this on the white chuck glacier last august.
The tracks of the big male we saw below Fortune were much bigger, est. 3X bigger

gb

gb
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 6:50 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
Malachai Constant wrote:
Really? When did that happen?
Why take the risk. If you see something cool adding the exact or even near location doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Jan 30, 2018 7:00 pm 
raising3hikers wrote:
wolverine track?
wolverine track?
i saw this on the white chuck glacier last august.
Similar to this, but not exact. I remember this one being about the same size as your image. I too was hoping it was a Wolverine. I does appear that there are claw marks.
Later confirmed by a wildlife expert David Moskowitz as a River Otter. There was a very large river otter on the lakes shore when we arrive. Lake still mostly frozen with bits of open water. 5,500' elevation

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want