Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt baker area xc skiing & snowshoe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mjl

mjl
PostMon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 pm 
I have a chance to stay in that area on March 2-4 weekend & while my friends are all downwhilling i want to see the area on Snowshoes & Xc Skis. Any suggestions ( I've Never been there in winter ). Nothing too extreme (I'll be alone). and I'm avoiding the groomed areas Any good dog friendly trails ?( I might not be THAT alone...) thanks for any tips!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 9:34 am 
Super cool area. Lots of options from easy snowshoes to long tours. Artist Point, Table Mountain, Ptarmigan Ridge, Coleman Pinnacle are all good choices.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 pm 
If the snow area is low enough, there are some specific snowshoe trails down at the bottom at the Salmon Ridge Sno-Park. You can snowshoe the rustic loop near the Nooksack River, and that would be appropriate for dogs. I think it's about 1 mile? You can also snowshoe up the roads that are groomed for skiing, but not too sure dogs would be welcome there. Across the river, there is another road that doesn't require a sno-park pass. Apparently it's groomed somewhat, but kind of rough, and is dog-friendly according to what people told me last year. Here's a link to my trip report last year: https://wp.me/p2oxMr-1zr Here's the map of trails: http://parks.state.wa.us/DocumentCenter/View/80 Here's the sno-park info page: [url]http://parks.state.wa.us/453/Mount-Baker-Methow#Salmon Ridge[/url] You can read up on current conditions here: http://www.nooksacknordicskiclub.org/trails/grooming-and-conditions/

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostTue Jan 23, 2018 3:30 pm 
MangyMarmot wrote:
Table Mountain, Ptarmigan Ridge, Coleman Pinnacle are all good choices.
Artist Point is a fine suggestion but these others can be extremely dangerous in the winter.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 1:53 pm 
Yes, and even Artist Point route does cross at least one potential avalanche slope (where I've seen debris in the past). The White Salmon Road (leaves the highway near a switchback just a little below the road up to the lower ski area base) is another possible option. If memory serves there's a sno-park there (may be the one Hiker Mama mentioned - I don't know its name). You can follow the road for a fair ways.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jan 24, 2018 4:17 pm 
Yes, Joker, there is the White Salmon Road, I had forgotten about that one. You'll need to get there early or late, because there isn't as much parking. It's quite a bit higher than the Salmon Ridge Road, so the snow may be better there.

mountainsandsound

mountainsandsound
PostThu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 am 
Anderson Creek Road can also be good for ungroomed nordic skiing. I've skied it with 64-55-60 classic skis and NNN boots but I felt better with NNN-BC or 75 mm boots and metal-edged skis.

mjl

mjl
PostMon Jan 29, 2018 7:20 pm 
thanks for all the great ideas !!

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Jan 31, 2018 3:43 pm 
Just a heads-up, we were at the Salmon Ridge Sno-Park last Saturday, and the Anderson Road isn't being groomed this year. It's blocked off by a large snow berm. Apparently there was a washout on the road a mile in. I didn't try to walk down it, we went the other direction.